PL-II, Star Lube/sizer & Mav Dutchman bullets

Started by Dick Dastardly, August 18, 2009, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Pards,

I've always had a hard time with lube/sizing my Mav Dutchman bullets on my Star unit.  The lube tends to go where I don't want it.  So, I check the depth adjustment and it's ok.  I've finally found the culprit.

PL-II, much like PL Classic, tends to be motion activated.  First couple of bullets thru the Star and no problem.  Then, three little lube marks start to show up on the nose just ahead of the crimp grove.  I had tried everything but the problem always came back.

Then last night I had a run with no lube crawling past the lube grove.  Turns out that the lube that was getting on the nose was put there on the way IN to the die.  I had too much pressure on the lube reservoir.  When the pressure dropped off the problem went away.  My depth adjustment was perfect in the first place.  The problem, all that time, wasn't lube crawling out of the grove.  It was lube deposited on the nose on the way down.  Seems some lube would come out when the bullet exited.  The next bullet would wipe that lube on the way IN.  No amount of adjustment could make it quit doing that.  I simply had to back off on the reservoir pressure. . .

So, now you know.  PL-II flows easier after it moves.  It stiffens up as it waits but gets softer when it's moved.  This is great in the gun barrel and great in the loaded ammo and it also explains why no heater is needed for lube/sizers running PL-II.

It's a minor thing, but something that I had to learn by hand. . .

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Haggis MacGurk

Found the same thing with my Lyman 4500. Just a matter of using the correct amount of pressure. I've actually been using your PL I recipe for the most part, but I got 6 sticks of PL II with my last order from you. For the temperature ranges we see up here in the great white north, both formulas work fantastic, although the original formula does get a bit weepy sitting in the lubrisizer. As a matter of fact, using your products, and an aggressive recruiting campaign, my pards and I are rapidly converting heathens to the one true powder. The latest convert to the dark side is the 16yr old daughter of one of our clubs' diehard smokeyless shooters. Sunwapta Haze and I may have to change our aliases soon to Obi Wan and Darth.

Roosterman

Hey DD how do you suppose your stuff would work for lube cookies? Is it stiff enough not to pass a card wad and contaminate my powder?
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Dick Dastardly

Pl-I had that weeping problem.  It never caused me any problems or harm, but I just didn't like the looks of it.  PL-II has a different formulation.  FWIW, I shot some ammo loaded back in 2001 last weekend that had PL-I lube.  No problems, no worries.  Same easy cleanup.

Howdy Roosterman,

I think that I could make a batch that would make fine cookies.  I'd simply cut back on the shortening ratio.  It would be a mite stiffer and would answer to a cookie cutter better.  That way there would be NO worries about migration into the powder.  For long term storage in very hot conditions I'd still worry.

DD-DLoS

Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Roosterman

Cool DD. When I use up the stuff I have now I'll contact you. ;D
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Tequila Jim

Hey Haggis, are you backing the screw off after lubing bullets? I had some weeping of the PL1 but after lubing bullets
I now take the pressure off of the lube and no more weeping. Regards, TJ

Haggis MacGurk

Yes, I do. During the lubing process, I give it about 3 'clicks of pressure for each bullet that goes through(MAV-Dutchman), and once I finish the session, I back the pressure screw off by a complete rotation.

pony express

I used to have similar thing happen with my old Lyman sizer. Too much pressure would have lube caked up under the bullet base, and if I didn't loosen the pressure after using it, it would squeeze out afer I finished. Had to experiment some to figure out just enough pressure to fill the lube grooves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com