When did checkering start?

Started by 44caliberkid, August 14, 2009, 08:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

44caliberkid

I was wondering when checkering of wood stocks came into fashion.  I saw some faux ivory checkered grips for a Ruger Vaquero that look kinda neat, but was curious if they would be period (1873 - 1890's) correct?   I've seen very little checkering of shotgun stocks prior to 1900, unless I'm only seeing low grade guns.

Frenchie

Kid, that's a great question! I know there are old European firearms that pre-date our period by many years with cross-hatching on the grips, but the modern peaked diamond checkering? I dunno, but I'll keep an eye on this thread and wait for someone with more knowledge and resources to answer it.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Major 2

here is a sample from the 1860's
when planets align...do the deal !

St. George

For one reason or another 'checkering' was a sort of 'European' decoration - seen often on the various 'Jaeger' rifles and the shotguns - as well as on revolver grips.

I have several revolvers from the Continent with wood grips, and all are checkered.

This isn't the sharp-diamond point that one sees later in the 20th Century, though - it's more of a 'flattened' point type that aids in grip - but isn't quite as dramatic.

Once Gutta-Percha came into use, revolver grips were often checkered - on both sides of the pond - and those started to appear in the mid-1860's.

In amongst all those pocket revolvers' grips are some really pretty designs.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

44caliberkid

Oh that's right.  I'd forgotten about all the pocket pistols with poured grips that have checkering designs.  But I guess I'm thinking more about the sharp, diamond checkering.

Professor Marvel

Quote from: 44caliberkid on August 15, 2009, 01:00:20 PM
Oh that's right.  I'd forgotten about all the pocket pistols with poured grips that have checkering designs.  But I guess I'm thinking more about the sharp, diamond checkering.

I have seen well-defined fine, cut checkering on high end Gentlemen's Flintlock target and dueling pistols, overcoat pistols, and flint single and double fowlers. St. George pointed out it seems to be more a high-end "euro" feature, but it was found on expensive work on both sides of the pond. Without dated provenance, the fact that these were examples of flinters might  put them in the early to mid 1800's, but it is always possible cut checkering was added at a later time For What That is Worth.

AH, but now you have Changed the Parameters! You wish to discuss the Origin of Diamond Cut Checkering! You know what that means! all prior discussion is voided as "not relevant" and archived, and, ell, you realize this will require a Change Order, in triplicate, (remember you keep the salmon copy) and we must forward the yellow flimsy to Change Control Management, and the original must go through billing and it must pass through the Department Head Meeting to assure that all departmental stamps are in place prior to final approval, the senior staff must be alerted and the archivists and researchers alerted,  and then the request can be rescheduled after approval is received and funding is assured   ...

and then we can proceed ... :-)

yhs
Prof Marvel
it's a Marvel anything gets accomplished at all
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

River City John

Quote from: Professor Marvel on August 15, 2009, 04:29:19 PM
AH, but now you have Changed the Parameters! You wish to discuss the Origin of Diamond Cut Checkering! You know what that means! all prior discussion is voided as "not relevant" and archived, and, ell, you realize this will require a Change Order, in triplicate, (remember you keep the salmon copy) and we must forward the yellow flimsy to Change Control Management, and the original must go through billing and it must pass through the Department Head Meeting to assure that all departmental stamps are in place prior to final approval, the senior staff must be alerted and the archivists and researchers alerted,  and then the request can be rescheduled after approval is received and funding is assured   ...

and then we can proceed ... :-)

yhs
Prof Marvel
it's a Marvel anything gets accomplished at all

Why isn't this man an NCOWS Senator!!?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Mogorilla

Here is a link to a less gentlemany checkering.   Relic from the missouri-kansas unpleasantness, seems to be done by the owner.

http://www.rulen.com/partisan/cent01.htm

44caliberkid

Thanks for the link, Mogorilla.  The 1860 Army is my favorite pistol and I like the checkered grip on this one.  Like the history lesson too.

Professor Marvel

Quote from: Mogorilla on August 16, 2009, 11:44:31 AM
Here is a link to a less gentlemany checkering.   Relic from the missouri-kansas unpleasantness, seems to be done by the owner.
http://www.rulen.com/partisan/cent01.htm

Thank you Mogorilla! That is an excellent example of aftermarket work, of which it is often difficult to find photos.  Such "flat" checkering  helps the maintain the grip (especially when wet) and not being diamond-cut will not be so hard on ones palm. This sort of work was often done with a v-groove chisel, triangular file or even with a saw as appears may be in this case, due to the flat-bottom grooves.

Ah my dear River-City John, one must always pay attention to the paperwork lest specification  creep occur and the end-point never achieved ...  can you tell I have dealt with beaurocrats?

yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com