Author Topic: How does Working Cowboy work?  (Read 5913 times)

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How does Working Cowboy work?
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:49:08 PM »
If appears that most stages are set up for 2 pistols, one rifle, and one shotgun. If someone is shooting Working Cowboy, do they shoot their pistol twice (10 shots including one reload on the clock) and skip the shotgun, or do they only shoot their pistol once (5 shots) and skip the shotgun?

Also, can you use a cap & ball pistol in Working Cowboy?

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: How does Working Cowboy work?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »

Pistol once. Skip rifle.
C&B OK.

NCOWS, unlike SASS, scores competitors only against others in their category. No "overall" winner.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
If appears that most stages are set up for 2 pistols, one rifle, and one shotgun. If someone is shooting Working Cowboy, do they shoot their pistol twice (10 shots including one reload on the clock) and skip the shotgun, or do they only shoot their pistol once (5 shots) and skip the shotgun?

Also, can you use a cap & ball pistol in Working Cowboy?

Working Cowboy shoots one rifle and one revolver at each stage.  Each stage written will have a designation for the WC.  The designation will indicate if he/she needs to reload or not.  At the Ten Horns, about half of our stages require the WC to reload.  The reload requirement is entirely up to the stage writer.

One downside to WC reloads are the issue of top-break revolvers (i.e. S&W No. 3's, Schofields, etc...)  Since these revolvers are much faster to reload, the shooter has a mechanical advantage.  At the Nationals in June, no stage required a WC to reload.

C&B would be a viable option for WC.  It would be a bear to reload on the clock. . . or if you had a stage that required a reload, you could opt not to reload and take the five misses.

Since Cole writes most of our stages, be nice to him and I'll bet you can convince him to write a whole match with no WC reloads.  

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:50:33 AM »

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »
Most often the stage is read to the shooting posse as a  2 pistol, 1 rifle & 1 shotgun stage and then stated  "Working Cowboy will eliminate one pistol and the shotgun."

And you can use a cap & ball pistol in the WC class.  However if the match directors sticks in a reload, they are screwed.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »
I see no reason that a person using a C&B revolver in Working Cowboy couldn't have a second loaded but uncapped revolver to use on a stage requiring a reload.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:56:22 AM »
Will Ketchum, that was going to be my next question. I've got a Remmy which means I could swap out the cylinder pretty quickly.

I actually saw someone say in another thread somewhere that you could legally carry a capped cylinder and be OK, but I was a bit suspect of that. The nipples are recessed so they're unlikely to be hit by anything between the cylinder holder on the belt and the gun during the reloading process, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
I know of at least one incident of a guy dropping a loaded, capped cylinder.  It landed on a cap and discharged the ball, which passed between his legs into the wall behind him. :o..It was in a letter to The Shootist editor several years ago.  It would be one thing to carry loaded capped cylinders into a fight (ala Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider) another to do so in a sporting event ;).

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »
Sheesh! I'd rather have to take the time and re-load my caps.

I'm a beginner so I'm extremely unlikely to win anything anyways. I'm just trying to figure out how to get as involved as quickly as possible and use the one gun I actually own (borrowing as little as possible).

I've had several generous offers from people who are willing to loan me their guns, and I'm very grateful for that. However, it could take me quite some time to buy everything I need and I'd hate to impose like that (borrowing things) on someone for a long time.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 11:10:36 AM »
Pancho,

I'm definitely planning on coming out and meeting ya'll in person Sunday, the 23rd.

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
Right now I am shooting cap & ball in WC, that is going to change as I am getting back into the originals class...prefer it anyway.
But, when I do shoot WC with cap & ball I don't reload the pistol even if the stage calls for it....I just take the misses. You are shooting against your class only and not for overall top shooter...so it doesn't matter.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 03:42:37 PM »
  If shooting c&b in WC and heaven forbid there is a reload, you may have another cyl. but it MUST be capped while in the gun and on the clock.    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »
You gonna shoot with us?  If so, I'll promise NO reloads for Working Cowboys at the NCOWS match on the 23rd.  If you need anything let me know.

Cole

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
WE will have  one reload for working cowboy at our Aug. shoot. It is mostly a thing of the past though. Sometimes working cowboy has first time shooters and reloading on the clock is not good, could actually be dangerous. Best is a one bullet reload. However it is fun and we are down to mostly shooters that are there all the time and quite capable of reloading. So I put it into one of our stages. Really I left it in one stage. We are shooting the stages that Pancho sent me, chasing Poncho Villa in Mexico. At the Nationals the only reload was rifle.
How does Working Cowboy work? One handgun and one rifle. Most the time he shoots the first handgun targets, but the stage writer can have them shoot either or write in something different. It works GREAT and I think it is the best thing NCOWS has going for it. That's saying a lot, but for several reasons. Easier to get started, one handgun and one rifle. Less ammo, less items to keep up with. If you have some kind of health problem, easier on you. Shoot what ever and how ever you want. Shoot black powder or smokeless, Shoot one handed or two. Shoot one way on one stage and the other on the next stage. Ever how the stage strikes you. All the SASS clubs in our area have this class. See they know a good thing when they see it. Hope I have answered you question. Tj  :D
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
I'm planning on having my gun with me on the 23rd. I figure if I have it with me I can at the very least get tips on handling it properly during matches, as well as on cleaning and maintenance.

I don't have any gear other than my gun (and the items required to shoot it) yet. Heck, I don't even have a hat yet.

It really sounds like ya'll are trying to give a good introduction to newcomers, so I'm planning on absorbing everything I can while I'm there. If I get to shoot, that's great, but I'm 100% sure I'll have a good time even if I don't shoot in the match! I've got an offer from someone to let me borrow their gear so I might buy a temporary (cheap) hat to participate, but I don't want to impose on anyone too long. I'll PM them early next week to confirm what will or won't happen. Cole, if you'd like I can PM you or Pancho when everything is set so you have fair warning. <grin>

If I shoot *my* gun I won't reload on the clock - I don't have a second cylinder yet and there's no sense making other people wait around. But it'll be my first match anyways so my focus would be on learning proper procedures and safety rather than speed. Speed will come with time and experience and I don't have to win anything to have fun. *Please* don't change anything on account of me!

To be honest, I'm quite excited about visiting the Ten Horns!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 481
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 06:54:37 PM »
kflach,
this early in learning how you will fit in Western Action Shooting I'd do just what you're doing, taking it slow. Don't even worry about any reloads if you don't have all the equipment. Just take the misses for the reload and ignore the timer, your score etc. You are learning the basics and safety. Get comfortable with moving through stages and just have fun.
It sounds like you've got a great bunch of Pards who'll take you under their wings 'til some of that green wears off.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 08:25:45 PM »
kflach, after rereading my post I realize you may have taken it as the shoot in Texas in Aug. I am in KY and it is the shoot here on the fifth Saturday of Aug. that I was talking about having one reload on a stage. Sometimes just because we realize what we are writing about, we think that all that read it does too. Sorry If I confused you about the Aug. shoot. Pancho and Cole are in Texas and they are the ones that will be having their shoot. I am way over here across the Mississippi River and in the bluegrass state. Just to let you know though you are welcome here anytime. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 06:09:10 PM »
kflach,

The Ten Horns match on the 23rd will not have any reloads for the working cowboys.  Bring your Remington and the things you need to load thirty round snad you'll be good to go.  I'll lend you a rifle and give you the ammo you'll need to shoot the six stages.
For that matter what's you hat size?  Might even save you the money to buy an inexpensive one just for the 23rd.

Cole

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 01:43:20 PM »
I'm planning on having my gun with me on the 23rd. I figure if I have it with me I can at the very least get tips on handling it properly during matches, as well as on cleaning and maintenance.

I don't have any gear other than my gun (and the items required to shoot it) yet. Heck, I don't even have a hat yet.

It really sounds like ya'll are trying to give a good introduction to newcomers, so I'm planning on absorbing everything I can while I'm there. If I get to shoot, that's great, but I'm 100% sure I'll have a good time even if I don't shoot in the match! I've got an offer from someone to let me borrow their gear so I might buy a temporary (cheap) hat to participate, but I don't want to impose on anyone too long. I'll PM them early next week to confirm what will or won't happen. Cole, if you'd like I can PM you or Pancho when everything is set so you have fair warning. <grin>

If I shoot *my* gun I won't reload on the clock - I don't have a second cylinder yet and there's no sense making other people wait around. But it'll be my first match anyways so my focus would be on learning proper procedures and safety rather than speed. Speed will come with time and experience and I don't have to win anything to have fun. *Please* don't change anything on account of me!

To be honest, I'm quite excited about visiting the Ten Horns!

When you get to the range, you'll need to register in our club office.  While there, make sure to pick up some of our free literature:  fee copies of the Shootist, a free NCOWS decal, and an NCOWS membership application.   
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »
kflach, I just want to commend you on your approach.  You are going about this the right way by learning from experienced people and taking your time to make sure you get it right.  So many people read a bunch of stuff and are instant experts before they even attend a match and the next thing you know they are telling everyone how it should be done ::).

You couldn't have a better group of cowboys than those Ten Horn fellas.  They will  treat you and teach you right.  I met several of them the first time at our National Shoot and they will all do to ride the river with.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 08:39:33 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Will. Maybe my approach can be explained this way:

The young bull and the old bull reached the top of the hill and looked down. Below them they saw a huge herd of the most beautiful heifers they'd ever seen. With great excitement, the young bull looked at the old bull and said, "Let's charge down this hill and each of us have a heifer!" The old bull smiled, looked the young bull straight in the eyes and said, "No, let's *walk* down this hill and each of us have us *each* heifer!"

Despite what my daughter thinks, I'm not that old. However, I am old enough to want to enjoy *each* heifer (aspect of this sport)!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com