BP and fire!

Started by Dirty Brass, August 08, 2009, 10:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Brass

I was watching an old flick with K. Costner named Wyatt Earp, and there was a scene where a close up shot left the material on a  shirt/jacket burning from the flames of the BP at close range. Thought it was pretty realistic, although most of the rest of the movie showed little smoke when shooting. Still, it was nice to see the authenticity of the scene.  ;)

James Hunt

This movie seemed to draw heavily on Lake's book - which is pretty questionable from an historical standpoint. But apparently it was reported that Ed Masterson's clothing caught fire.

I once shot an IPSC match with two SA .45 Colts much to others amusement (two so everyone wouldn't suffer standing around for my "magazine change"). In one scenario we kicked open a door and engaged a target about two feet from the muzzle of the gun in an outstretched hand. When I shot placed several shots on the cardboard silhouette target it caught fire and burned completely, much to the delight of the .45 ACP and 9 mm guys. A few even ran for their cell phones so they could take pictures.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Dick Dastardly

At a Halloween match we had to shoot a feather filled pillow with one shot.  My 44 Magnum Holy Black round lit the pillow on fire.  They had extra pillows on hand. . ;D

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Fiddler Green

Yea.

The much slower burning BP is more likley to start a fire then smokeless. I start fires at the local in-door range all the time. Seems the smokeless powder doesn't all burn and it tends to get swept into the crack int he cement floor. Then, I start shooting BP and my burning powder ignites it. It can be quite a show. Dosen't really do anything other then burn the powder. I've yet to set the cement on fire.

It's not uncommon that smokeless powder leaves powder burns too. I've set camoflage netting on fire.

Bruce

Fairshake

I will reply even though this was a week ago. When I was a cop in Narcotics we caught a long time drug dealer in a car chase one day. When one of my buddies went to grab him from the car he started fighting and tried to grab my friends gun. As the fight ensued Bud's 357 was fired while the bbl was in the suspects very large head of hair. At first I thought he had been shot in the head but he began to fight again. I knew he was not shot as he would be 10-7 and not fighting. All of a sudden his hair not only began smoking but was on fire from the round. We had one long laugh about that one and the suspect laughed but I believe his laughter was of the nervous kind.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Dalton Masterson

For our pocket pistol/derringer matches at our big shoots, we have a tendency to put up flannel shirts with clay pigeons in the pockets. At just a hair more than arms length, there are plenty of fires to put out with the blackpowder rounds that I shoot. Even the little .32 SW lights things afire.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

El Peludo

At a match some long years ago, we had to "shoot out the window, then engage the targets through the broken window".  Everyone shooting the Holy Black in their shootguns burned the butcher paper window out instead of just shooting a hole in it.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Paladin UK

El Peludo says..........

QuoteEveryone shooting the Holy Black in their shootguns burned the butcher paper window out instead of just shooting a hole in it.

Bloody Brill!!
Paladin (What wishes he`d been there too  ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com