Which Caliber is Best in Repro?

Started by Patrick Henry Brown, July 30, 2009, 01:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Henry Brown

Not trying to raise any controversies, but would like opinions. I may be in the market soon for a Spencer Carbine. It would mean parting with my Codymatic 1873 in 38/357, but that's ok as it is a backup. Anyway, I currently load and shoot 44 Specials, 45LC, 44-40's, 45/70 45-90 and 38 Spl. I would lean towards the 44 Russian, or 45 Schofield since I cast my own bullets. Do they make a 45LC version? Would I be better off to stick with the 56-50? That would mean all new brass, dies, etc., but would I avoid problems. As a newbie to Specers, I really need some direction. BTW, if anyone is interested in a trade for the 1873 and/or a couple of RM-Colt 1860 and 1851 in 38 Spl., please contact me.  :)

Preacher Clint
NCOWS
SASS

Appalachian Ed

"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

major

Clint
A lot depends on what you plan to do with it.  I would definitely stay away from the 44 Russian or the 45 Schofield as many people have reported problems with the extractors.
If you want one for reenacting than 44-40 is the best bet.  For N-SSA 56-50 is the only way to go.  For CAS I would say that either the 44-40 or the 45LC would be good but the 56-50 will work fine also.  Most will say that the 44-40 is the most accurate caliber for targets but all will only hold 8 shots (7 in the magazine and one in the chamber) so you can put yourself at a handicap in CAS.
Tell us what you are planning to do with the gun and maybe we can be of more help.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Patrick Henry Brown

Quote from: major on July 30, 2009, 07:41:57 PM
Clint
A lot depends on what you plan to do with it.  I would definitely stay away from the 44 Russian or the 45 Schofield as many people have reported problems with the extractors.
If you want one for reenacting than 44-40 is the best bet.  For N-SSA 56-50 is the only way to go.  For CAS I would say that either the 44-40 or the 45LC would be good but the 56-50 will work fine also.  Most will say that the 44-40 is the most accurate caliber for targets but all will only hold 8 shots (7 in the magazine and one in the chamber) so you can put yourself at a handicap in CAS.
Tell us what you are planning to do with the gun and maybe we can be of more help.

Major:

I'm a former N-SSA member who can no longer travel the distances to shoot meets. I'm also a full-time Methodist Pastor, so Sunday Musket matches would be impossible anyway. Hence, I have found and enjoy SASS and NCOWS. This would be a backup to my 1873. I'm never going to be a real competitor anyway. Enjoy shooting Frontiersman and Frontier Cartridge Duelist. Does the Spencer come in 45 Schofield or 45 LC? Anyone have any experience with the 44-40?

Two Flints

Hello Preacher Clint,

Yes, the Spencer does come in .45 Schofield caliber, but I'm pretty sure that caliber has been discontinued by Armi Sport.  You would have to buy a .45 Schofield on the used market or pry one from someone like me, who has a NEW, never fired.45 Schofield Spencer Carbine. 

I have never had any issued with my other .45 Schofield Spencer, although some members have had extraction problems, as noted in various posts on SSS.  Do a search on SSS just type in Spencer .45 Schofield.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Major 2

I had no issue with my 45 Sch. Spencer...but then reading the SSS forum .  :-\
I antisapated extraction problems, so I took off one of the exrtaction blades as instructed...
Wellp..then I did  :-[

I put it back on... ;)

I've owned several Spencers (orginials) and the 45 Sch & a 56/50 ( I don't reload so the 56/50 is costly to shoot, it's a hoot just to pricey so I traded it for another Henry )

the 45 Sch.is no longer made.. but they do still made the 45LC
when planets align...do the deal !

Patrick Henry Brown

Well, let me ask. I will be shooting BP or Substitutes, so would I not be better off with the 44-40 rather than the 45LC or Schofield? Only thing is, I'm not fond of 44-40 in terms of reloading, but I am set up for it. Seriously, I am interested if anyone out there wants to trade me a Spencer Repro for this Codymatic 1873 Winchester in 38/357 with 20 inch octagonal barrel. It is super slick and has been campaigned a bit ( some cart rash and such) I also have an 1851 RM conversion (Uberti) with bobbed barrel (5 1/2" with dovetailed front sight), Army grips, and in 38 Spl., as well as another 1860 RM with both factory 8" barrel and VTI 5 1/2" barrel (Uberti) in 38 Spl. as well. Willing to discuss a trade for any or all. Like everyone else right now, cash is short, so need to do some horse-trading. Pictures available on request.

I also figure the Spencer with match up nicely with my pair of Open Tops in 44 Special, no matter which chambering I have. Also have a pair of 1875 Remingtons in 45LC that are my main match guns.  :)

major

Clint
The repro Spencers come in 44-40, 45LC & 56-50.  I don't think that they are made new in the 45 Schofield anymore but you might be able to pick up a used one & they have discontinued the 44 Russian one.   The 45 Schofield has a reputation for extractor problems so if you can I would stay away from this caliber.  I have one in 44-40 that I shoot blanks out of it for reenacting and it works almost flawlessly.  I tried it once with live rounds and was happy with the results for an out of the box gun with no sight or trigger work.
You said in your original post that you already load for 44-40 and 45LC so one of these calibers would be a good fit.  If you are a purest and want one in 56-50 I have an original for sale ($1995).  Or I can get you one in 44-40 or 45LC ($1075) if my supplier has them in stock. Sometimes the reproductions can be hard to come by as Armisport doesn't produce them with real regularity but in batches.  By doing this sometimes there are plenty to go around and other times they are scarce as hens teeth.
Whichever way you decide to go I wish you the best of luck with it.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Drydock

I've got 2 a 45 Schofield and a 56/50.   Both work very well, and have right out of the box. 

All 3 current calibers have the same capacity : 7.  All three  work well thru the action.  Either of the smaller rounds will work well for CAS or reinacting, or just plain plinking.  All are fun to shoot.  The small rounds can be matched to revolvers of the same caliber, of course.  They use less powder and lead, and are more efficent with smokeless.

HOWSUMEVER

If you get one, you're most likely gonna eventualy want a 56/50.  Nature of the beast.   Particularly if you cast your own.  Is this going to be your primary CAS gun, or one you take out of the cart every once't while for fun?  If the Latter, get the 56/50.  Think you might want to try it on Deer?  Get the 56/50.  Want to slap on a forage cap and play with the GAF folks some?  Get the 56/50.  Want to awe small children and make targets rattle in fear?  Get the 56/50.

All of which to say, the big round is a fun round.  It takes more powder and lead, but if thats not a problem, then get it.  Lyman has a standard set of dies for it, it loads just like any other straight case round. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

panhead pete

Howdy all,

The 56-50 is worth it just to see the look on the face of the loading table monitor when he or she sees those big rounds.

Also of note: After missing the steel, I heard the comment, "You missed the steel but knocked that tree down"!  Even though ANY caliber Spencer is slow shooting, you will always get a smile and positive comments from others on the posse.  I hate to make you spend more money, but I must agree with Drydock.

Your Respectfully,

Panhead Pete

Patrick Henry Brown

Well, ya'll talked me into it. I've committed to buying a 56-50. Have the brass ordered. Need a mold. Suggestions? Encouragement? Cudos? I'm pumped!

Drydock

Dakota WIdomaker Mold.  Best there is for the Spencer, good prices, he hangs around here.  Somebody give him a link!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

panhead pete

OUTSTANDING PREACHER!

I bought the whole outfit from Buffalo Arms.  

You will not be disappointed Sir.

Hip, Hip, Hizzzah!!

French Jack

You can order some of the "Jim 512-350" bullets precast and lubed with SPG from Buffalo Arms.  Give them a call and they will be happy to fix you up.  Try them, I think you'll like them.  If they suit you, you can get a mould from Buffalo Arms.
French Jack

gevens

I agree with the other posts that what you intend to use it for will be the best guide to which caliber to select.  I have a repro in .45 Schofield and I am quite satisfied with it.  I use it primarily for re-enacting (both Civil War-era and the Old West period) so I don't shot that many live rounds through it.  (It does shoot live rounds quite well and the one time I used it in a CAS match, everyone thought it was a real hoot.  I shoot it with BP loads.)  For re-enacting, finding blanks that would work was a challenge.  Cartridge length is critical and blanks made by star-crimping .45 Schofield or .45 Long Colt brass ends up with a round that is too short to feed reliably through the action.  I finally had the idea of using .454 Casuall brass and that has worked out quite well--but the brass is getting more expensive all the time.  Had the .44-40 version been available at the time I got my Spencer, I would have probably gotten one of those instead because "5-in-1" blanks are much more readily available.  The .56/50 should be great for live firing, but oh so expensive if you need to shoot blanks!

Reb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com