Winchester Replacement Sights

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, July 12, 2009, 03:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I have placed this on the Winchester 1876 website, but was advised that I should post it here.

Currently I am shooting an angle-eject post '64 Winchester Model 94 in .45 LC. I know, I know, but the gun performs perfectly ... except the sights. If my memory serves me well, the sights on my Daisy BB gun were equal to if not superior to the stock sights.

I have ordered a Marbles front sight with medium bead, but am unsure about the rear sights. I am thinking I want the option of a tang or traditional dovetail rear site.  The perfect situation would be one of the Marbles Folding Sights, but they state that they were started in 1906. But my local gun shop says that the date is not a problem.

What does this thread say? Would this site make my weapon illegal for SASS shooting?

A second problem is that the folding sight also has a windage adjustment, which I have been told is illegal.

Still, the shop says that 'it is not a problem'

????????????????????????

Here is the website; it is the #95 Folding Sporting Rear

http://www.marblearms.com/rearSights.html
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Shotgun Franklin

I was given 3 Buckhorn Sights by the Marlin Co. I have one on each lever action I use, a Marlin Cowboy in .38-55, a '73 clone .45, and a '92 clone .45, and really like'm. I have no idea who made'm as there isn't a maker's mark on any of the three. I do think that for ranges out to 200 yards they are great.
I read some stuff by Keith years ago and thought he was dead wrong about the buckhorn sight. Well, he was right and I was wrong.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I have used peep sights in NRA rifle training as a child, and V-notch from BB guns to my present Winchester. I have never shot buckhorn, so am pretty naive about them. Currently I am thinking of a tang peep sight with a folding V-notch. Wish I could shoot a buckhorn before I buy anything 'though....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Shotgun Franklin

For me. It has turned out to be the fastest rifle sight of any type I've ever used. You pick it up very much like a peep sight.
I don't do long range rifle shooting but do hunt. At what I consider practical hunting ranges I like it.
If you were closer you could try one. Ask around. I've seen a lot of '73 clones wearing the buckhorn sight.

Delmonico

Quote from: Shotgun Franklin on July 15, 2009, 05:07:26 PM
For me. It has turned out to be the fastest rifle sight of any type I've ever used. You pick it up very much like a peep sight.
I don't do long range rifle shooting but do hunt. At what I consider practical hunting ranges I like it.
If you were closer you could try one. Ask around. I've seen a lot of '73 clones wearing the buckhorn sight.

Elmer wasn't a dumb as a lot of folks thought. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Shotgun Franklin

LOL, I never thought he was dumb. I've disagreed with lots of smart people. Sometimes I just have to see for myself.

WaddWatsonEllis

This is almost a new thread.

Taylors & Co Firearms is showing a ladder style tang site for Winchesters. This looks like the best thing since sliced bread, but I see none used at any shoots ... Is this SASS Legal?

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

Delmonico,

I was hoping someone else would ask so that I would not have to expose my ignorance, but who is Elmer?

NCOWS #3403

Forty Rod

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Delmonico

Quote from: Forty Rod on July 18, 2009, 07:59:31 PM
Keith.

Ah, yes Forty my friend, the days when you could read good stuff in the gun mags by Roy, Elmer and Jack.

(Weatherby, Keith and O'Conner.) ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

WaddWatsonEllis

I had to Google all three, and remember reading Elmer Keith as a kid ..... waiting for a hair cut in a Barber Shop....
Outdoor Life seemed to be the only mag there without smarmy half dressed women on the cover ....*S*

NCOWS #3403

Delmonico

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on July 18, 2009, 10:35:58 PM
I had to Google all three, and remember reading Elmer Keith as a kid ..... waiting for a hair cut in a Barber Shop....
Outdoor Life seemed to be the only mag there without smarmy half dressed women on the cover ....*S*

Run, don't walk, to the local library and check out "Sixguns, Keith an Autobiography and Hell I Was There" all by Elmer.  If your local library does not have them (mine does) then move quickly, that means you live in Liberal Land.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Stillwater

Quote from: Delmonico on July 18, 2009, 09:05:05 PM
Ah, yes Forty my friend, the days when you could read good stuff in the gun mags by Roy, Elmer and Jack.

(Weatherby, Keith and O'Conner.) ;)

You must be as old as I am...! I remember those guys as if it were yesterday...

I'm originally from Montana, during the latter part of the Great Depression, my Uncle worked with Elmer Keith, horse back packing supplies into forest service fire look out sites.

I have both of the books you mentioned, "Six Guns by Keith," and "Hell I was there."

Bill

WaddWatsonEllis

I just finished the Keith, An Autobiography ... and i literally hated to finish the book ... kept putting it off.

When I did, I felt that the world was a little less for the loss of this man. He is definitely someone I would have really enjoyed sharing a pot of (even cowboy) coffee with around a campfire somewhere.

Now I have to find a way to get my hands on a copy of Hell, I Was There! ... there is not a copy of the book in the entire California Library System ... I have looked!

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com