Chaps

Started by Skeeter Lewis, July 11, 2009, 08:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Lewis

Hey guys - where would I get a pattern for authentic 1870s shotgun chaps?

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on July 11, 2009, 08:39:53 AM
Hey guys - where would I get a pattern for authentic 1870s shotgun chaps?

Skeeter....

You may want to contact Chuck Burrows at Wild Rose Trading Post, or Will Ghormley, You can do a Yahoo or Google search. Both of these fellas can point you in the right direction.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

ChuckBurrows

Unfortunately I can't be of much help since I don't know of anyone making a proper period pattern.
I made my patterns based on looking at LOTS of originals in combo with one of the standard patterns that I then adapted........
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Doc O

I was also wondering what wieght of chap leather [as tandy calls it] should be used.

Doc

David Carrico

I have a copy of the orignal F.A. Meanea chap pattern. I have been considering marketing that, just don't know where to start. If there is enough interest, I will.
David

Dalton Masterson

I imagine there would be interest David. Thats a pretty good looking set of chaps. I know I would buy a set of patterns.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Skeeter Lewis

Dave, you've got another customer here.

Those chaps on your website look the real deal. Skeet

Slowhand Bob

David, I also would be interested in the pattern but would also like to see them include a few good photo shots of the orriginal.

Skeeter, from the best of my memory, and that is questionable, you will be getting right on the edge of their appearance.  Seems I remember reading that shotgun chaps were actually developed in the period of the late '70s to early '80s????  Tandy has a coule of sets of comercial patterns and Pleasant Vally actually has a video with included patterns.  Not big on the history of these  but one should be able to make pattern adjustments if a couple of good pictures of an orriginal are available.  I would like to promise more info but so much of my stuffed is packed away or buried under junk right now. 

Skeeter Lewis

The book 'Cowboys & the Trappings of the Old West' has great photos and info on this subject. I may try to make a pair based on that, (unless David decides to market a pattern). Also Chuck has great pix on his website.

Slowhand, I don't know how soon the shotgun style appeared but I think the Texas cowboys adapted the Mexican originals pretty early. Dated photos would be useful. If pards have hard facts, that would be great.

Marshal Will Wingam

I take it the chaps on your site are the design you're talking about. Those look great. That would be a good pattern to have.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

RollingThunder

You market the pattern, David, and I'll buy.

But only if you throw in the pattern for my Meanea 14X horn and onside jockey.

LOL.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Flinch Morningwood

I started with the modern Tandy pattern and made adjustments using canvas till I got it where I wanted.

I wanted something with an early "straighter" belt and shot gun legs...

Picture here:http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,13853.msg175886.html#msg175886

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

okiwen

Old post resurrection.

I have been struggling over these very chaps this whole weekend.  Does anyone have this pattern yet to sell?  I am in a time crunch and would greatly appreciate a historically accurate pattern to compare to what I have done.

Thanks so much.

okiwen2 at yahoo dot com

Russ McCrae

I'd think that shotguns are going to be your best bet even with the newer patterns. Reading old cowboy stories from the likes of Dobie and a few guys that grew up on the King Shotguns are the most prevailant chaps in early Texas to present. Of course they're the easiest to make and the cheapest b/c they use the least amount of leather. I know down here they like them with the rough out b/c that's less likely to rip when your ducking thru thickets and brush, and alot of the old hands around here still make them with the leather knots that you attach with a keyhole slit on the other side of the leg.
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Arizona Cattleman

Skeeter, I made the chaps I have on in my avatar.  I used the Tandy pattern.  Be aware that they only fit someone that is very small and you will have to make adjustments in the distance around the leg at all locations.  Also you will have to modify the top piece to be period, laced in front with a narrow top and strap and buckle in the rear.  I went for a more modern era, 50's movie cowboy.  Hope this helps.  Here is a link to pics of mine.   http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,28334.0.html

Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Skeeter Lewis

Thanks, Cattleman. Your chaps are pretty cool. I've started on my shotgun chaps. I've used canvas to make a pattern and I've cut one leg - a little larger than the template to allow for changes of mind! Will try to post pics as I proceed. Skeet

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
I know nothing about Chaps, but I can tell you, I have seen Davids chaps in person, and they are AWESOME!!! I my self have been trying to get him to market a pattern for those!! I would imagine there would be a lot of work involved in getting it put toghter for market???? ??? What I was going to do, was the last time i was over there, I was just going to take that pair he had That I looked at, and was going to just kinda sneak them out ;D ;D but, HE had SOLD them and shipped them out :o ??? ::) He knows I am kidding, but his pattern, is the way to go if he does market it!!
For those that need a pattern know, I am of no help! ::) ??? Little Al I looked at your chaps when you first posted them, and those look AWESOME!!
Just my 2 cents!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

UK Nat Love

Hi all, I would also be interested in a copy of the chap pattern. Additional how much leather would need to make a pair? UK Nat.

Django

I would also like to by an authentic 1800's pattern for chaps...i'll join the queue!
Django
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

Django

Quote from: David Carrico on July 12, 2009, 11:14:33 AM
I have a copy of the orignal F.A. Meanea chap pattern. I have been considering marketing that, just don't know where to start. If there is enough interest, I will.
David
Does the pattern say what weight/thickness or type of leather to use David.
Django.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com