Alabama Civil War Regiment Information Resources

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, July 09, 2009, 02:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Hello,

As it states below, my monniker is my great grandfather's name. I have often thought about making up a Confederate uniform, or at least a jacket, but I know so little about my grandfather's unit that I am afraid that I would buy the wrong outfit/trim/stripe color. 

I have heard two different histories about my great-grandfather's unit. One, that he was a corporal in the 2nd Mounted Alabama Regiment.

Another source I found on the internet has him riding with 'Company C, 5th Batallion, under a Captain George W. Guynn. Since this second account has more fact, I tend to believe the latter.

My question is, does anyone know a resource to further investigate what unit he was with?

If he is with a mounted regiment, does that mean mounted infantry and an infantryman's uniform and trim. Or calvalry with their trim and color of chevrons?

Thanks in advance for all those who help me ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Major 2

There are two people I know personally , who could help.  Both Alabamaians,  Bob Mclendon captcav2nd@yahoo.com & Bill Rambo
Commander of the Alabama Division (reenacted) and Curator of the Confederate Memorial Park
Marbury, Alabama. 
437 Chilton Road 63 Marbury, AL 36051
Phone: 205-755-1900
Fax: 205-755-8982

I've known both well over 30 years & Between the two have 80 + years studing the War in Alabama. If they don't have your info on the tip of their tongue, they will sure steer your in the right direction.
Both have authored books on Alabama in the CW, and both have massed much in research materials.

Tell them Major Roger Ragland sent you...best of luck..
when planets align...do the deal !

St. George

We cover this topic every so often, so you may want to look at this thread for more insight.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

St. George's Notes III - Your Civil War Ancestors...
« on: June 12, 2004, 11:56:21 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking at the time frame we represent, it seems that a large number of us would've served on either side during the Civil War.

This is most helpful when developing your impression, since it can give you the background for your own character - plus, you can add the odd military item to your possibles bag to further add a touch of realism.

A good way to do this is to look into your own ancestry and see who fought where, and with whom did they fight?
You can then draw from real experiences.

You're going to need a couple of things in order to get started - an old, old living relative, and maybe the big, old Family Bible.

You need the ancient relative because they may know some of the family's oral history, and the associated names and their ties within the family.

You need the Family Bible because that's what many families used when they chronicled the various births, deaths and other pertinent data that made them "families".

There's also a good book that you can borrow from any well-stocked Town Library, and you'll usually find it in the Geneaology section.
It's titled:
"Tracing Your Civil War Ancestor" - by Groene.

It was printed some time back, and my copy doesn't have web links, but newer ones may, so stop by, check it out and see.

The actual addresses for the agencies involved are good though, and you can go to the 'net and dig from that point on.

There are a few of the things you'll need to do and to know:

1.  Know the actual name of your ancestor.
2.  Know his Date of Birth.
3.  Look for his Discharge or Mustering-Out Certificate.
4.  Know what State/County he lived in.
5.  Know what Unit he may have served in.
6.  Ask first at your County Historical Society.
7.  Look at the record of the war that his State published.
8.  Inquire at the National Archives - (the book explains how) http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/index.html
9.  You want to see his Military Record of Service.
10. You really want to see his Pension Records.

This list will keep you involved, but the hunt can be surprisingly worthwhile.
The Pension Records are important, because each time they changed the laws - those pensions needed to be re-requested, and in order to do that, affidavits needed to be filled out by men who served with him - attesting to actual service and times.

This means that the Pension Records will have more in them about specific duties and actions, while the Military Record will have the bare-bones details pertinent to that soldier up until discharge.

This really isn't as hard as you may think and the folks who deal in these Records are quite helpful with providing details and digging up additional information - so be certain to thank them profusely.

There are organizations that you may join currently, upon being able to prove your Civil War Veteran's connection.

The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War: www.suvcw.org

The Sons of Confederate Veterans of the Civil War: www.scv.org

These are the two premier outfits that you'll find both interesting as well as useful in your quest.

I'll talk more on these Military Societies, their badges, and the politics of the era at a later date.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

WaddWatsonEllis

I have sent an email out to Mr. Mclendon, and look forward to his answer.

The other inquiries which require sending snail mail will have to wait.

I have the Men's Group from my church coming over tomorrow morning, and have at least 24 hours of cleaning to get done.

I am enclosing the only pic I have ever seen of my great grandfather, taken late in life.

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Major 2

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on July 09, 2009, 11:24:52 AM
I have sent an email out to Mr. Mclendon, and look forward to his answer.

The other inquiries which require sending snail mail will have to wait.

I have the Men's Group from my church coming over tomorrow morning, and have at least 24 hours of cleaning to get done.

I am enclosing the only pic I have ever seen of my great grandfather, taken late in life.

Try this for Bill Rambo  confedpk@bellsouth.net

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi again Major 2,

Thanks for the email address!

I just sent Mr Rambo an email, and perhaps I shall know a bit more about my maternal great grandfather by the time the day is over....

Thanks again!

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

NCOWS #3403

Major 2

Email Bob McLendon he also know Bill personally..may have his newest email

Sorry I was afraid it might be dated

WaddWatsonEllis

Major,

It was a Beau Geste on your part to even offer the help of your friends; I am grateful for the assistance. When I get a return email from Mr Maclendon, I will request that he check with Mr Rambo as well.....

Once again, thank you so much for your kind assistance...

NCOWS #3403

Don Nix

Alabama has extensive civil war muster roles. Do a search fot Alabam Civil War records and you should find lots of info.
my GGgrndfather served with Co F 29th Alabama Infantry. he was catured at the barrle of Resaca ga. and died on Chrisrmas day 1864 in an Alton Ill. prison camp.

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi Don,

Thanks! I will check it out....

I am sorry to hear about how your grandfather spent his final days ... as a weird twist of fate, I went to a military academy (high school) in Alton, Ill. Being right on the Mississippi, it could be wicked cold and wet in the winter and hella hot and humid in the summer. Eighty and more percent humididy was the norm.

But I did not know that there was a Confederate Prison Camp there ... underground railroad, sure. The church that I went to had tunnels to bring the runaway slaves from the river to the parsonage and finally to the basement of the church.

It was also where they burned down the Mormon town and forced Joseph Smith to either flee or be killed.

Then, when I was there in the mid to late 'sixties, there was a major Olin-Matheson plant making ammunition for Vietnam. The plant woud occaisionallly accidentally blow up a revetment, and the windows would break and the ground would shake.

NCOWS #3403

Don Nix

Yep, Probably one of the worst of the war was at Alton. I am sure the victors had much rather talk about how  they helped the underground railroaf than discuss the thousands of men who suffered and died from abuse sickness and malnutrician and buried in unmarked graves.
but now another twist.
After you posted I thought that I would look up the site for the prison and give it to you . I thought that youd find it interesting having lived there.
When I found the sight I found a link to the North Alton confederate cemetary. i checked and found the location of my GGgrandfathers grave.. it shows he was reburied there in 1867.
Prior to today the info we had was that he was buried in a mass grave  near the old prison and Ive seen his name on a mrker showing the Alton dead..
Now thanks to this forum we've found where his buriel plot is.
kind of neat.
Its just about 120 years to late.My GGgrandmother was refused her widows pension because she couldnt find proof of his death in the POW Camps.
Do you think the VA will pay her back pay?

Drayton Calhoun

I live in Calhoun county, hmmmm, part of my alias exposed! Not far from Janey Furnace where there is a re-enactment twice a year I belive. A neighbor right down the road, approx 1/2 mile, has re-enactments every so often, with cannon, impressive. At any rate, I will see what I can find out for you.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Cactus Rope

Wad,
That wouldn't have been Western Military Academy by chance?
Here is a site that might interest you. www.omen.com/wmapix.html
I live in Jerseyville, IL and I drive by the academy every time I am in North Alton.
It is now a Christian school.

Don,
I'm glad you found the info you were looking for. One little side note. There are no visible graves at the the cemetary, only the monument with the names of those buried there.

Drayton,
Where do you shoot?
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

WaddWatsonEllis

I just spent a week in Texas haning out with cousins and such ....

Turns out that the original Wadd Watson Ellis fought with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment .... I just got some copies of pay stubs that has is regiment and Commander...

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

Cactus Rope,

Yes, I graduated from Western Military Academy in 1967 ... and my father was stationed at Scott AFB .... retiring in the same year.

I had a TDY while back on active duty to Scott AFB, and rented a care on my 'day off' and went to Western Military Academy ...

It was bittersweet at best, with shoots of treets coming up betweeen the paving stones of the Senior Square ... didn't think I would be that upset by it .... but I brought back and a brick from the school with 'ALton' on it  ... and it sits by my fireplace ...

NCOWS #3403

Major 2

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on October 14, 2010, 01:17:11 PM
I just spent a week in Texas haning out with cousins and such ....

Turns out that the original Wadd Watson Ellis fought with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment .... I just got some copies of pay stubs that has is regiment and Commander...

very interesting... I commanded Second Florida Cavalry ( memorial unit ) Reenactors (both impressions)

Florida actually raised two 2nd Florida Cavalry the Confederate & the Union

WaddWatsonEllis

Major 2,

He fought in the 2nd Mounted Regiment ... more like mounted infantry that dismounted to fight and his officer was a Captain Gwynn ... I'll send you his pay stub in a PM ....

NCOWS #3403

Major 2

In just a short search in my records ...I found Lt.  D.A. Gwynn with Co.D of the 2nd. on that roster I see no Priv. W. Ellis
However, later then Capt. D.A. Gwynn is shown with the 5th. Florida and there is Priv.W. Ellis.

I'll dig deeper I believe, I'll find Priv. W. Ellis attached with Tallahassee Guards and with Gwynn at the Battle of Natural Bridge.
anyway that were I'm being lead in this search.

Thanks for the challenge, I've done this for many, and along time,  but not lately.  :)

WaddWatsonEllis

Major 2,

Thank you for taking the time to do this .... I had struck out on the internet, and living here on the Left Coast I did not know where to look next ....

This is pure verbal hearsay, but I am told that the unit Wadd was attached to was responsible for attacking Sherman's supply and support  ... which would make sense for a horse equipped mobile infantry unit ....

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com