looking for smith to cut OT barrels

Started by Goody, July 08, 2009, 11:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goody

I am looking for a gunsmith who can shorten the 7 1/2 barrels of my Uberti OT's in 38sp and reinstall front sights. Please email me so we don't step on anyones toes. Please include a quote for the turnkey job. Thanks

kirby@goodygoody.com

Major 2

Contact VTI and buy a barrel in the lenght you want  4 5/8 , 5 1/2 or 6"

then you have both your 7 1/2" and whatever you want ..almost like 2 guns in one .
when planets align...do the deal !

Goody

Been trying to buy one since they were $115, now they list at $145 and they still don't have any!

Major 2

UH OH ! Sorry

Maybe someone would trade with you , but that's along shot (no pun intended) 
only other Idea would be contact Cimarron , They had some mis marked MWNN 51 barrels ( Maybe Abilene will respond ) with fit spec's

For Smith then I might suggest The Smith Shop , Bill English aka Happy Trails has been doing some work for me
quick turnaround and quality work... I'd give him a holler.

when planets align...do the deal !

Matt Bastardson

All that you really need is a hacksaw, pencil, a measuring tape, and some assorted files.  A square and a belt sander makes it quicker to square up the end of the barrel, and a bumblebee sander makes it quicker to polish off the saw/file/sander marks.  Just make sure that you cut it slightly long to allow for finishing.  To bevel the inside barrel edge you simply wrap assorted grits of sandpaper around a small ball (1 1/2" or 2" in diameter will do) and rotate it evenly around the muzzle end.
Either make yourself a new front sight out of a piece of scrap steel or brass or purchase a ready-made front sight from a supplier.  Then using small hand files, cut the dovetail into the barrel to snugly fit the sight and then solder it in place after degreasing the area first with brake cleaner.  Then clean and degrease again and refinish your work area.

Most people have all of the necessary tools to do this already in their garage.  The only other ingredient(s) necessary is time and patience.  If you need to get a little 'experience' first, then just cut the tip of the barrel off and practice on that.  You've got 2" to play with if you're going to 4 5/8".  It really isn't that hard to do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com