Meanea Saddle Finished

Started by Freedom, July 06, 2009, 10:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedom

Hi guys, I thought you guys might like to see the saddle I just finished. I used W&C leather, bronze rigin rings  and a Timberline Tree. The stamp is a meander that I made myself.

After seeing all the half seats posted I kind of began to really like the looks of the exposed tree.

Here is a few pics...I need to get better at photography  :P I will get some better photo's but I wanted to show it off, so here it is ;D 

I think this will make some mounted shooter really happy.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Freedom

here is a few photo's allong the way.

Horn covered

Skirts all readdy for shearling

Seat and rigin installed

Dr. Bob

WOW!  Looks great.  I really like your meander stamp.  Sure enough made me drool, and I don't even own a horse. ::)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Marshal Will Wingam

That really looks great. I agree that the meander is very nice on it. Thanks for sharing the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

You guys who make saddles do some amazing work. This one is a fine example of quality design and workmanship. I agree with the other guys, great meander stamp. I figured most of them are made in hell, because they are so hard to use! (At least for rookies like me)

Thanks for sharing the pictures. As a former horse owner and rider, I really enjoying seeing the saddles. JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Dalton Masterson

Beautiful, I like the exposed tree look. Very nice work!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Awesome Pard, beautiful work thanks for the look see  ::) :o 8) ;D

Regards

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Gun Butcher

Beautiful work Freedom, and the stamp gives it that classy understated look that I like so well.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

cowboy316

Freedom
very snazzy lookin rig you got the pard love the old school look one question How did you get the scalloped edge on the back of the cantle i love that look and would like to know how to do that
thanks pard
   Cowboy316

Freedom

Quote from: cowboy316 on July 07, 2009, 11:39:34 AM
Freedom
very snazzy lookin rig you got the pard love the old school look one question How did you get the scalloped edge on the back of the cantle i love that look and would like to know how to do that
thanks pard
   Cowboy316

Thank you everyone for looking and the encouraging words!!

Cowboy 316,
I took a 5/8(??) punch and ground half of it away. I then used deviders to equally space 5/64 holes about 3/4 down from the edge. I then took the half punch and punched down into the 5/64 holes.  This gave it the spacing and  curved shape in the valleys.

I have a smaller half punch that I used to cut the concho's....The fun part was dyeing and burnishing all those scallops ;D

cowboy316

Freedom
thanks pard ill have to get to harbor freight and get some punches
thanks
    Cowboy316

cowboywc

Howdy Freedom
That is sweet.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Dusty Chaps

Wow - very nice.  I ride a hard seat, slick fork but it's a heavy bugger at 48 #.  Although it DOES have saddle pockets and monkey-faced tapaderos.  What's your's weigh?
I'd like to go lighter with a more skeleton rig with a round skirt for my little Arab-Quarter cross.
Thanks for sharing. 
Dusty
Dusty Chaps, SASS-Lifer. CMSA Rider. Duelist.

Freedom

Quote from: Dusty Chaps on July 09, 2009, 02:50:03 AM
Wow - very nice.  I ride a hard seat, slick fork but it's a heavy bugger at 48 #.  Although it DOES have saddle pockets and monkey-faced tapaderos.  What's your's weigh?
I'd like to go lighter with a more skeleton rig with a round skirt for my little Arab-Quarter cross.
Thanks for sharing. 
Dusty

Thank You, Cowboy, WC. Dusty,
It weighs around 35 Lbs. as pictured with no cinchas....if the scale I used was any good.  I used heavy leather, the skirts are fully plugged and around a 1/2" thick, I set out to make a Solid rig(not a light weight one) so I was glad that it came out as light as it did.

With this design...if you changed to small round skirts, riggen jockey's, and lighter sturrips... The weight would really come down.

Wiley Desperado

Wow, beautiful work can't even imagine doing something like that!!

GunClick Rick

Being from Visalia,Ca.i know a little bit about the Visalia saddle and there is a gal that collects them here and has them displayed in her pawn shop.That is about all i know too.What is the Meanea style mean?Do you have to make it so the seat area fits the customers backside? Is the horn and the cantle(back part right?) made for a certain ride or use?Heck i would like to see a show on saddle makin.
The original shop for the Visalia saddle is still here on Main St.although altered some now as it is a brew pub,but has a plaque out front telling of the saddle..What type of work would be done with your saddle which to me is a piece of art... :)

Now i just went and looked at the one Ottawa made and it is styled different,what are the different styles for?Bigger horn and higher cantle? Both awsome saddles!! See that would be a great show,get you guys lined up and have a saddle off contest ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com