TIME TO UPGRADE MY GUN LEATHER OPINIONS NEEDED

Started by TRADEGUN, July 02, 2009, 08:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRADEGUN

I am a new shooter to CAS, but not to the sporting sports in general. For my first set of holsters I purchased a low cost option and got exactly what I paid for a GOOD start, but now I need something that is stiff enough to stay open for reholstering. The first set were okay until they got wet (shooting in the rain was fun however!) I hopefully in the near future will be shooting a pair of Ruger Bisley Varqueros 357 5 1/2" if I can find a pair? I am left handed and use a strong side and crossdraw. At this time I am not really looking for custom but would like a GOOD production set of holsters. Can you provide advise?

Two-Bit Toby

L.G.

El Paso Saddlery, not the fastest guys on the block, but you can't find any fault with their quality.  Still in the same building since the 1800's.
SASS #48097
NRA #2008175
Gateway Shootist Society
Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
WartHog
B.O.S.S. #19
RATS #130
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Slingshot383

WaddWatsonEllis

I had written a reply before L.G. put his in, but the photo was too large, so it erased it and it has taken an hour to refind the post again. Sigh....

I understand being wary of 'cutom leather' (i.e. custom leather = Big Buck$).

But I would assert that Will Ghormely is an exception to the rule. Like you, I bought an off the shelf holster from one of our cowboy vendors. When I took it to the first meet, I won't say I was laughed out, they were too polite. But I was generally told that the Schofield Holster that I bought was too thin a leather, too flimsy, the upper edges were not rolled outward to faciliate reholstering, etc. In general, insufficient for SASS.

I watched 310 to Yuma again, and again really liked the Character Charlie Prince's double crossdraw rig. When I was at the movie website, I noticed that Will Ghormely had made all the leather for the movie. So I sent him an email, thinking "I'm not worthy", but could at least gather some information.

Will Ghormely turned out to be a consumate, self effacing gentleman who listens to what a man needs rather than tries to sell a particular product.

To shorten a long story, he built me two 'plain Jane' holsters (naturally oiled, no studs, no stitching) holsters based on Charley Prince's 'Flames of Hell' holster. But he reduced the cant in case SASS had problems cant.... As it turned out, SASS has a problem with 'double butt forward' holsters, so I was able to turn them around (again, a problem Will foresaw and designed reversing them into the rig). To help me save on money, I sent him my existing cartridge belt, and he matched the holster's dye to the belt.

Bottom line: two custom holsters for perhaps a sawbuck more each than what I would have paid for premade/storebought leather.

Will is still having a spring sale on movie equipment that he ended up with ... there are a lot of Colt/Ruger/SAS clone holsters available on his site:

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/SpringSale.html

Another piece of information that you didn't ask for; 

Most cartridge belts come with generic brass buckles that do little to help the looks of the rig. Tandy Leather has buckle/matching metal tongue loop/matching tongue tip for less than $10.

Then, should you end up getting another cartridge belt for your shotgun shells & such, adding another matching belt buckle makes it look like a custom set.

That is exactly what I did ... and am attaching both the original double but forward rig and the rig as it now stands , with matching cartridge belt.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Camille Eonich

Kirkpatrick leather is hard to beat and you can get it as stock or as custom as you like.  They have worked with a lot of different shooters to come up with products that work very well in what we do.

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/index_ow.htm
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Stillwater

Quote from: L.G. on July 02, 2009, 08:43:43 AM
El Paso Saddlery, not the fastest guys on the block, but you can't find any fault with their quality.  Still in the same building since the 1800's.

I have three of their holsters, and consider them to be the equal to the best I have ever seen...

Bill

Granny Annie

Mine came from D&H Leather at Magdalena, New Mexico, and I love them. 

Dirty Dan (aka Dan Kresser) is the maker and his work is top quality and he will be fair with you on price.  He specializes in the old west antique look and will make your rig to your exact specifications.  He also makes really nice knife sheaths, pouches, etc. to match your rig. 

You can reach him at brdhntrs@gilanet.com.  Tell him that Granny Annie sent you!!   ;D

Jefro

Quote from: Camille Eonich on July 07, 2009, 05:08:25 PM
Kirkpatrick leather is hard to beat and you can get it as stock or as custom as you like.  They have worked with a lot of different shooters to come up with products that work very well in what we do.

Yep, Kirkpatrick is hard to beat, delivery for thier stock items is always prompt. We have two Longhunter rigs without the metal inserts.
Another excellent leather maker I recently found in Tn., is Maverick  Leather. This feller does top notch work at a very reasonable price. The quality and designs are well worth a look see.
http://www.maverickleather.net/id1.html

Jefro  :) Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Curley Cole

My vote would be for Paul at RedDog Leather out of Kentucky. He has done all my and some of Old Tops leather. The rigs you see here are done custom. All specs are to order. And his cost is very reasonable. You can get the Ringo Rig for less than $300. and his turn around time is around 2 weeks.

if interested email me for his info.

I also have one of Will Ghormleys rigs (the Jessie rig) and he also does some fine buckles I have his wheat buckle in bronze and in sterling silver. fair prices. His rigs are fine too.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Dusty Walker

Paul at Reddog Leather does great work at nearly the same cost as the cheap production rigs. He's located in Jamestown, KY. He uses Herman Oaks leather and his holsters are lined. My set cost $235.00 Shipped. I asked someone what they thought I paid for them and they said $500.00. There is a link to him at this website: www.hootenoldtown.com  Go to the 'links' area on the page and his information will be there.

Sagebrush Burns

Mernickle leather is very good stuff.  High quality, reasonable price, decent delivery time, good folks to deal with.

The Connemara Kid

Quote from: Sagebrush Burns on September 26, 2009, 09:13:41 AM
Mernickle leather is very good stuff.  High quality, reasonable price, decent delivery time, good folks to deal with.

I'll second that, Bob gets all my hjolster business these days!

Adirondack Jack

Quote from: Camille Eonich on July 07, 2009, 05:08:25 PM
Kirkpatrick leather is hard to beat and you can get it as stock or as custom as you like.  They have worked with a lot of different shooters to come up with products that work very well in what we do.

What Camille said.  I won Kirkpatrick's "middle shooter award" 4 years ago, got a nice, but not fancy "Tequila" rig and matching shotgun belt.  It's been prefect for me and fits my "no frills" style of dress.  The modern "gamer bucket" holsters really do work.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com