Spots Revisited: Domes?

Started by JD Alan, June 29, 2009, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Howdy all.

I'm still trying to get a grip (Literally) on spot setting. Gettin a hold of those buggers is bad enough, then punching holes that don't show is another feat.

Someone told be about domed spots, which look sort of like rapid rivets, but with a dome (You all undoubtedly know about these)

These seem to go in pretty slick. I've had these a while but haven't tried them until now, so I don't remember the price.

So, what am I missing? Price? Selection? I've only found chrome in a couple of sizes.

Besides Tandy, is there another, possibly better place to purchase these?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. JD   

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboy316

howdy JD
go to www.standardrivit.com
they have a good selection of spots and you can request samples and plus their prices are much better check it out pard
Cowboy316

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy JD

I have the domed spots and I've used them, but I don't care for them, the domes tend to break off real easy unless used where they can be protected, like between pulled through bullet loops, but for me I'll pass on using them in the future, I use Standard Rivet Co. stuff and have been very happy with there product, I do have several Tandy spots but prefer the SR rivets.

Hope this helped

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

So then it sounds like reliability is an issue here. I sure don't want something that's going to fall apart. Thanks 10 Wolves, I appreciate the voice of experience.

Cowboy, thanks for your response as well. I've heard a lot of good about Standard Rivet, so I guess I'll have to give then a try.

Thanks! JD

Angel_Eyes

Just tried your link and it wouldn't work, then realised that the RIVIT in the link should be rivEt, that works fine. Very good site, plenty of variety.

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Mogorilla

I use the spots and haven't had one break off.  Yes, they are a pain to get a hold of.   To set them, I use one of those mini screwdriver sets, sometimes called jewelers, or just slightly larger than eyeglass screwdrivers.   There are several standard screwdriver sizes in the container and correspond nicely to the spot legs.   I polish the screwdrivers with some rouge and leather and only use them for spots.   Measure the position (I actually use small graph paper, and if puttting spots on a belt, lay out a full pattern the width of the belt, copy it and use it to mark the spots.)   A little tap of the polymallet and you have your cut slots for the spot arms.   Flip the leather over and tap the arms with a little force to set them.   

JD Alan

Thanks for responding Mogorilla, I appreciate your experience as well. Now that you mention it, I remember reading about the small screwdriver idea. I will definitely give that a try.

I understand that laying spots out is rather tedious work, but can be done with patience. It's a whole other thing to get them set so they look good; no holes out past the spot, and no messed up leather from smacking them down. I'm having problems even picking the buggers up to get them in the holes, and punching the holes is a lot of fun.

Here are a couple of examples that I am looking at. These are holsters of guys I shoot with. They were purchased from well known leather makers. I Repeat, these are NOT my work!

Dalton Masterson

JD, are you talking about the rivet backed spots, with only one hole to punch??
If you are, I have never used them, but could see that they would be easier to line up, conceal holes, etc.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Dalton Masterson on June 30, 2009, 01:31:23 PM
JD, are you talking about the rivet backed spots, with only one hole to punch??
If you are, I have never used them, but could see that they would be easier to line up, conceal holes, etc.

DM

Dalton, The domed spots are rivets, the problem is the dome is not solid to the rivet like pronged spots, they'
re in two different pieces, and the domes tend to break off if not handled just right, I like the reg. spots a ton better. IMHO, and you don't get as tight a fit with the domed unless you can get your leather just the right thickness, which is also a PITA, I suppose they have there use, but it's very limited.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

Dalton, Yes, just like you said, and 10 Wolves talked about. They are easy to install for sure, but 10 Wolves reports they aren't too hardy. Other than installing a few, I have no experience with how they hold up.

I'm going to work harder at learning to install the regular, pronged ones.

Thanks, JD   

Dalton Masterson

Dont forget the little photos I did of how I do them, a couple of months back. Good luck to ya
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

Hi Dalton, I saved your instructions on my computer, and refered to them. Getting the holes punched properly is still a challenge, I found a set of small, inexpensive screwdrives yesterday, and tried punching holes with one of them. I need to polish it, because I spent more time fightiing to get the screwdriver out of the leather than anything else.

Striking the rivets hard enough to set flush, but not hard enough to egg them out takes some getting use to. I guess it's like anything else, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. I'll keep hacking away at it. Thanks! JD 

Dr. Bob

And, we didn't learn to walk the first time we tried either!  Like most things, the more ya do it, the easier it get.  At least, so they tell me! :o ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

GunClick Rick

What is the normal or rule of thumb spacing for dots?
Bunch a ole scudders!

JD Alan

From what I can tell, whatever looks good to you. The best lookin rigs have them spaced evenly and not overdone, though that is in the eye of the beholder as well. Seems like it's a personal taste issue. Sort of like Mexican Loop over Slim Jim holsters

I watched Chuck Burrows DVD last ight, and they sure see to work good for him. I guess that's what happens when you set thousnads a year.

Chuck's point was to not be anal about spacing them, (my observation & words) just get them down reasonably close, and it looked good when he set them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com