toe plugs

Started by cowboy316, June 29, 2009, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy316

hey pards taking a break and gonna do another holsters one of Mr Will Ghormley's Law Dogs for the Colt 7 1/2 "
and gonna do a toe plug but not sure what to do any advice would be way helpfull and pics too
thanks pards
Cowwoy316

Wiley Desperado

Cowboy 316 thanks for asking about toe plugs because I also need to know how do they do that???

Slowhand Bob

The best and easiest example I have found so far is on the HOLSTERS video put out by Chuck Burrows.  There is also a small example illustrated in the Stohlman book on HOLSTER MAKING.  Thats all I gots to say on this, it is one topic that I am really handicapped on.  Slowhand 'Who Hates Toe Plugs' Bob

cowboy316

one other thing bout toe plugs what thickness leather do you guys use ??? ??? ???
thanks pards
    Cowboy316

Ned Buckshot

Well here goes, I'll try and explain how I do it. Remeber this is just me, I havn't been tought this in any way. It's just what I came up with.

I use two pieces of 8-9 oz. leather for my plugs glued rough side together.

Then I put the toe of the holster down on the heavy leather and trace carefully around the toe. With a divider set to the thicknes of the holster leather carefully transfer that line to a smaller one that will fit inside the holster toe. Carefully cut it out on the transfered line.

I cut a stitching groove arouond the plug a ways in from the edge, you want a very shallow angle between this groove and the stitching groove cut close to the end of the holster. Then mark the groove in the toe plug with an overstitch wheel. Put a drainage hole in it if you wish. Then glue into place in the holster body.

Finally stitch the plug into place. VERY carefully use an awl from the toe plug to the body of the holster pierce yoiur hole being carefull to line it up with both stitching grooves.

I've included an diagram that may help you make sense of all this. ::)

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Ned Buckshot

Here's a picture of one I'm about to complete. Finish work not yet done.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

cowboy316

Ned
very good info i think i can handle that so ill give it a try this evening
Thanks pard
    Cowboy316

Vern

Howdy......
What purpose does a 'toe plug' serve.........

Vern  /  Foothills Drifter...

Marshal Will Wingam

Howdy, Vern. Toe plugs protect the muzzle of the gun from damage or getting stuffed in the dirt when you squat or sit. Welcome to the forum.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Vern

Howdy Marshal Will Wingam......
If I remember correctly,in the late 90's you had another alias. In those days I was known as FOOTHILLS DRIFTER. I think we exchanged a friendly comment or 5.... When this list started I was member #4. Before that I was was on the CAS-L email list.
I've been out of it for a while due to personal and health reasons. I don't know if I can ever shoot again (YET)

Vern / Foothills Drifter... 

Springfield Slim

Personally I prefer to use the awl from the holster side 'cause if I don't keep it perfectly lined up I would rather the error was showing on the bottom of the holster than on the side where it can be more easily seen. I do agree on making the plug as thick as possible to make it easier to hit. If you use too thin a plug the thread can easily pull through the leather. Remember, you are sewing through the corner of the leather plug, not all the way through.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

cowboy316

Slim
great info thanks ill be getting that worked out tomorrow after i try to make some money cuz im gonna try to buy a 36 cal Eig brass 51 Navy pistol just need to ask my dad if i can borrow the cash to do that if so ill have m y first shootin iron  ;D
thanks pards  or all the help
    Cowboy316

Wiley Desperado

Ned and Slim thanks for that info now I think I can also figure it out from here.  You did good with that question cowboy.
Wiley

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pards

I think Ned has pretty much covered this real well, I use two thick pieces of leather glued together too, and do my final shaping with my round knife, so I can get the tapper I'm looking for, also mark your toe plug at the front and also on the holster as it will be cemented in, so you won.t have any trouble when placing it for your final cementing, as you roll the holster leather around the plug and do the final positioning, tap it down all around to get a better bond, when set and your seam has been set also , you can either smooth your seam line now or after you sew, remember you will have closer stitches on the toe plug than on the bottom of the holster, so watch your spacing, or you will run out of room on the toe plug and have a hard time finishing doing your sewing, once you have done a few of these it get easier. the toe plug was used to like has been said to keep debris/mud/snow out of the barrel, the original holster didn't have holes in the bottom, but I think putting the hole in makes good since, I prefer a open ended holster over a toe plug, but for some of the holsters we make, it wouldn't look authentic or period, the toe plugged holsters  were known for getting debris from the top of the holster too, so cowboys had to shake them out from time to time . If any of you don't have Chuck Burrows DVD, it's a good investment, he has a part in his DVD that deals with the toe plug.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Skeeter Lewis

Another advantage of toe plugs is that the bluing around the end of the barrel is less likely to get rubbed away.

Slowhand Bob

Though swerving a bit off topic, has anyone tried the French stitcher attachment for sewing toe plugs on a holster?  These are a very expensive attachment and would probably be hard-put to pay for themselves in the average shop. 

One of the things I do a bit different when sewing toe plugs is to use a running stitch rather than the saddle stitch and I try to keep the stitch holes small for this reason.  BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER one thing, "I hate toe plugs"!  Time consumption for installing toe plugs is way out of proportion to any real benefits offered, in my opinion, BUT they are very much period correct.   

Ned Buckshot

I agree. Sewing in a toe plug is my least favorite thing working with leather.

I can't imagine a "French Stitcher"would be a worthwhile investment. With the amount of toe plugs an average leathersmith does it would collect more dust than anything!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

panhead pete

Howdy All,

One of the methods I use to keep the stitches looking fairly well spaced is to use a 5 threads per marker along the bottom of the holster body (even though I use 6TPI on the main seam).  I either use an unmarked stitch groove or a 6 threads per inch marker on the plug.  Because of the greater distance around the body the stitches become less bunched when piercing the smaller area of the plug.

Kind regards,

Panhead Pete 

GunClick Rick

I knew Ole Ned would get ya lined out.I swear you guys amaze me with the leather work.The way you make the stuff it will last forever.....I t sure is nice the way you share info,if i just had the patience... :-\
Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Rick

If you want to learn leather, you can do it, just like CowboyWC told me when I was thinking of gining leather craft a try, " It's not ROCKET SCIENCE", you just need to start small, and little my little you will be doing high quality work, just give yourself a chance, once you start there is no turning back. It's an ADDICTION  ::) :o :D ;D

Best Regards Pard  ;D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com