Colt 1862 Pocket Navy

Started by River Jordan, June 23, 2009, 08:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Jordan

I realize that these were among the last percussion Colts so what do we know of the intended market?

Does anyone have an opinion of these interesting 36 cal 5 shot revolvers. It seems like a a nice historical bookend to the Patterson which was also a 5 shot 36 cal I believe.

Does anyone know of a documented use of this type in an event either War of 1861 or on the Western Frontier later?

Frenchie

Pocket pistols of all shapes and kinds were wildly popular before, during, and after the War of the Rebellion and I can't imagine the demand for them waned much for a very long period of history. More small, concealable handguns have been carried and kept in pockets, small holsters, purses, all sorts of interesting places under women's clothing, and secreted in dressers and desk drawers than you can shake a stick at.

Opinion: I'd very much like to have one.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Flint

I believe that Colt sold more pocket pistols than all the other revolvers put together, even after all the government contracts for the Armys and Navys for the Civil War.  The were very popular during the Gold Rush era before the Civil War, in the 31 caliber, and bought by Civilians after the Civil War in 31 and 36 caliber.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Flint on June 24, 2009, 12:01:44 AM
I believe that Colt sold more pocket pistols than all the other revolvers put together, even after all the government contracts for the Armys and Navys for the Civil War.  The were very popular during the Gold Rush era before the Civil War, in the 31 caliber, and bought by Civilians after the Civil War in 31 and 36 caliber.

Almost.

'49 Pocket Models (.31 Cal) approx 340000
'62 Pocket Models (Navy & Police) (.36 Cal) approx 47000
1851 Navy approx 215000
1860 Army approx 200000
Walkers & Dragoons approx 25000
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Galloway

Dont forget approx 40,000 1855 root sidehammers. On a side note I think S&W's no 1 was the reason for the disproportionate amount of 1849's vs 1862's. Otherwise the 62 would have been quite a hit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com