Great Fathers day Gift

Started by Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, June 22, 2009, 05:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents,

Well yesterday was Fathers day, and guess what I got, a HopaLong Cassidy lunch pale, full of DVD's of his best films, I remember when I was a little kid, he was #one in my book, my folks even promised me a complete Hoppy get up after I got my tonsils out, it came with a shirt hat spurs neck tie, a holster that looked just like his, and nickel silver six shooters.

This may not be all about leather, but those holsters were, the Hoppy one's that I had. Here is a picture

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dr. Bob

10 W,

It's great when yer family knows what to get you!!  Congrats!  I got some fabric to make a summer sack suit!! ;D  Just what I asked for!  Ain't kids wonderful! ;D ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Dr. Bob on June 22, 2009, 06:42:27 PM
10 W,

It's great when yer family knows what to get you!!  Congrats!  I got some fabric to make a summer sack suit!! ;D  Just what I asked for!  Ain't kids wonderful! ;D ;D ;D
Bob you got that right ::)

TW  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy TW,

That is a fantastic gift especially for an Old West Affectionado like yourself. There was a lot of thought behind this gift.

Back in the early 1950's I remember watching Hopalong Cassidy movies on Saturday afternoons. I wore my my two gun Hoppy Rig with the Nickel plated cap guns.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on June 23, 2009, 04:05:49 PM
Howdy TW,

That is a fantastic gift especially for an Old West Affectionado like yourself. There was a lot of thought behind this gift.

Back in the early 1950's I remember watching Hopalong Cassidy moives on Saturday afternoons. I wore my my two gun Hoppy Rig with the Nickel plated cap guns.

Johnny sounds like we ran with the same bunch, but just in different places. LOL  ;D

Gun Butcher

That is a truly geat gift 10W, aren't 2nd... er 3rd... aw heck I can't remember which childhood I'm on anymore. ::)

Oh well, it don't matter no how as long as yer having a good time!
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Like you say GB at this point of my life, it doesn't matter, going back to that time is really refreshing to me especially the way things are today, it's wonderful at this time of my life to have all these great memories, and boy I'm having fun with all of this, being Cowboy is what I always wanted to be anyway ::) 8)

Regards

tEN Wolves  ;) :D ;D

WaddWatsonEllis

Your post brings back memories ... I don't know where he got them, but he used to buy me these full size 6" barrelled Colt Replica toys ... they even had .45 cal dummies that could have caps put on them.

But the weight, heft and balance was about right .... must have been three or four pounds each.
You can imagine a six year old trying to heft these things ...

He would cuff me over the ear if he ever saw me aiming on at someone. I remember him saying , 'Son, you only point a gun at something you intend to shoot. And you never shoot anything you don't intend to kill."

I used to think it was pretty silly overkill. But my Dad got a lot smarter as I grew up. Now that safety is intrinsic and part of my muscle/motor memory.

Thanks, Dad.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Wad

Sounds like most of us have ground up cowboy, your Dad taught you the same as my Dad did, I never question his judgment when it came to guns, I know the guns your talking about, I was starting to out grow my cap guns when they came out with them but I remember saying to myself , that I wished they had those when was into my cap guns, I had two FANNER 50'S, and loved them, I could twirl them and spin them right back into the holsters both at the same time, WOW that was fun. Those were the days, for sure.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D

WaddWatsonEllis

I don't usually 'collect' toys of my youth, but if I could remember the name of those toy Colt wannabees I would make an exception. I remember that they came with a choice of synthetic black or white grips ... and I would recognize one still if it was put in my hand ... but I have been trying to remember the name of those toy pistols for three decades ... and if anyone remembers, I would be grateful!

My father came from quaker stock many generations before his family came to the Colonies. In fact, it was because they were Quakers that they lost all posesssions and favor at Court. They came over with the second wave of Penn's people and founded what is now West Philadelphia ... but by the time generations of forefathers had divided the family funds, my paternal grandfather was a poor framer for the coal mines. My Dad got his knowledge of hunting and guns first hand; as the oldest of eight, he hunted prior to school. If he got a rabbit, possum or squirrel, the family had protein for dinner. If he failed to bring something home, the family had fat fried flour. Talk about a terrible responsibility; if he failed, the family didn't (really) eat. As a result, he hated guns and hunting.

Looking back at how strong his feelings were against guns and hunting, it is a statement of his love that I had any gun toys at all ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Good story Wad, sounds like your Dad was a good man and even better Dad, thanks for sharing this with us, and I'll keep an eye open for those special cap guns Pard.

Best Regards Pard

WaddWatsonEllis

Ten Wolves,

I would love to find a pair ...

But I have been thinking alot about my love/hate relationship with guns.

I remember walking through Verdun as a nine year old. Imagine a patrol, fully packed and armed, those long bayonets attached to the rifle ... it had been raining for over two weeks. Just as they were about to go over the top, the hillside caved in and the soldiers drowned in the mud ... The French could think of no more fitting burial than leaving them where they were. As of 1959., all those bayonets were still protruding through the dirt, with the remainds of a fully packed soldier underneath each one.

So I really enjoy shooting and am pretty good at it, yet as a medic I have seen what those bullets do. I have had buddies with delayed stress syndrome so big you could drive a tank through it ... one had to get knee walking drunk to finally talk about sawing a person in half with a mini-gun.

So glad that I don't have any of those memories ... I might be talking to myself a lot more than I do already ....

Sorry to get maudlin here, but these threads sometimes bring out things that I can only think out in print.

Thanks for bearing with me.

NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Wad, never feel bad about sharing your feelings or  thoughts around here Pal, just think of this forum as home, this thread was about reminiscing anyway, hearing your story, I can feel your pain, somethings never leave us, and all it takes is something like a special cap gun to bring them to life again.

Be at peace my Friend

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;)

WaddWatsonEllis

Ten Wolves, I  was looking at the beginning of this thread, and want to congratulate you on your Hopalong Cassidy gift!

That gift is just the thing to get us reminisicing ... I remember watching William Boyd,thinking that when I grew up, I wanted to be just like him ... have the same core values that he did ... honesty, compassion, fairness.

Maybe that is what brings us back to the CAS columns ... that same need to 'do the right thing', and to find people who believe in the same thing ...

Nice to talk with you, partner!

NCOWS #3403

JD Alan

I remember getting a "Fanner 50" too, and it came with a real leather, rough out holster and belt. I think I fell in love with holsters back then.

Speaking of Father's Day gifts, my 19 year old son, poor college student that he is, gave me a card that he wrote inside saying "Dad, you did a good job raising us, and I'm proud of you. Love, Ben" I received a smiliar one from my married daughter.

You wonder if you've done right by them, and hope you have. Then you get something like this. I wouldn't take a new brace of Bisleys for those cards. JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Pards

Wad, I told my wife after finding this forum and Cowboy action Shooting, that after forty years I've finally found my people, and I say this as a truth and from my heart, and Wad it's good to have you with us Pard.

JD, I know just how you feel, we go along for years teaching and telling our kids what is right and wrong and the things that are important, and sometimes we don't think we're getting through, at least in my case, and then something will happen and all the teaching and talking about values and life in general will surface in your kids, and for the first time you can see that it wasn't all a wast of time, Like you said JD, you wouldn't trade that for a brace of new Bisleys, and I feel the same way, it's a great day when it happens, and even better when it continues to happen.

Good talking to you Pards  :D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

Johnny McCrae

My thanks to everyone for some profound and well said replies to this topic.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Stillwater

Quote from: JD Alan on June 25, 2009, 09:18:27 AM
I remember getting a "Fanner 50" too, and it came with a real leather, rough out holster and belt. I think I fell in love with holsters back then.

Speaking of Father's Day gifts, my 19 year old son, poor college student that he is, gave me a card that he wrote inside saying "Dad, you did a good job raising us, and I'm proud of you. Love, Ben" I received a smiliar one from my married daughter.

You wonder if you've done right by them, and hope you have. Then you get something like this. I wouldn't take a new brace of Bisleys for those cards. JD

I'll bet there was a little mist in your eyes, after receiving those cards...!

And, it sounded a lot like good parenting to me...

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com