Great Western II-Comparison of Models

Started by Old Doc, June 16, 2009, 06:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Doc

Can someone who has seen and handled both give their opinions of the GWII Custom vs the more recent GWII Californian Deluxe. I know the Custom had the real bone casehardening purportedly by Turnbull. I have been in touch with the company and when you ask about the Custom with Ultra-Ivory grips they get kinda vague and are not promoting it because of the cost which has gone up. They assure me that the newer Californian Deluxe is nearly the same gun except for the case colors but I wonder about the overall quality compared to the Custom. Anyone have personal experience. Thanks?

Four-Eyed Buck

They are both Pietta's. Other than obvious finish differences( real case vs the chemical kind), should be the same gun........Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Curley Cole

Buck is pretty much right, the cosmetics are the real difference. I have handled both (and own 7 GW's myown self)

But ifn you want some real buttkickin smooth shooter, The Alchemista beats all of them (and most other brands hands down)
Old Top had been houndin them to get him some 1860 grips for his gw's because they fit bigger hands better. Well that is exactly what Alchemista did. He fitted the 60 grips to the Great Western, and then put a wider trigger CENTERED in the frame, and the action job is outstanding....it is well smooth as glass...I can't even describe it.

But back to your question, basicly they are the same, the finish is the real difference, but what a difference...The Turnbull finish is beautiful and the custom nickel is awesome..

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Old Doc

Beautiful guns, Curley. There is a guy on Gunbroker who advertise Great Westerns including the Custom which I prefer but I am leery as the ads never seem to change and he hasn't responded to faxes and E-mails. The Alchemista is less attractive to me as I have small hands. How is the out of the box actions on these guns? Another problem with these guns like the Custom and the new Cimarron that has Turnbulll case hardening is that the price is getting into striking range of the USFA Premium guns.

Blackpowder Burn

Buy a USFA from Longhunter.  An unbelievably nice action and a 100% US made firearm.  Can't beat the combination.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Harley Starr

Quote from: Aggie Desperado on June 17, 2009, 07:00:56 AM
Buy a USFA from Longhunter.  An unbelievably nice action and a 100% US made firearm.  Can't beat the combination.

That's what I did, but I'm still waiting on mine.
A work in progress.

Old Doc

Quote from: Aggie Desperado on June 17, 2009, 07:00:56 AM

I have a Turnbull Cowboy Classic based on a USFA. I had Jim Alaimo of Nutmeg Sports put one piece ivories on it and he did an action job. It's a beautiful gun but for action jobs, I prefer Bob James. Two of my other guns are currently being worked on by him and I can't wait to get them back.

Curley Cole

I understand what you mean about the 1860 grip, it doesn't fit my hand very well either. Old Top loves them. The "customs" seem to me to be just a tad smoother that the Californian, but not that much difference. I shoot all my guns right out of the box.
I currently have an all blue GW that I fitted some Colt medallion grips onto, and when I retired I was able to get a nice Colt from Sixgun Shorty. They are virtually identical. (it is a very smooth Colt for out of the box)

I don't have a copy of EMF' current price list, as I gave it away, but the customs run about $700 if I recall.. And if you get one of the ding and dents they could be even less. Check with Debbie at EMF and see what you can get, but as far as I know they are no where near the USFA prices..

good shootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com