ASM 51 Navy grip frame on 1872 Open Top?

Started by Biermeister, June 15, 2009, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biermeister

Howdy,
     Read somewhere that this has been done. Was wondering if there is anything I need to know before I purchase the ASM grip frame & trigger guard. Love my Open Tops but they have the Army grip. The Navy grip fits my hands the best. Been disabled for the last 4.5 years and thought I would purchase the ASM parts instead of the Uberti to save some bucks. In other words are they easy to fit or would it be better to stay with the Uberti parts? Thanks.
USNR-Ret (Seabees)
Retired Reserve Police Officer
Disabled Veteran
Two years Washingon Army National Guard
Member 4th Army ROTC Rifleteam assigned to MTU#6 Ft. Ord, CA 1979
Former Dryland Wheat Farmer & Cattleman

Fox Creek Kid

Probably not. At worst the grip frame won't match up with the TG at the bottom junction.

Major 2

Trades in the past , have owners swaping Army Grips Frame for Navy & Vise versa.

I seen several ads by folks here as well as Open Range wanting to do the deal.... I prefur the Army Grips  and I've conciddered it myself.

Run an Ad and see if you get any takers ...nothing better that even trade to save some bucks.
when planets align...do the deal !

Mako

Quote from: Major 2 on June 16, 2009, 04:16:16 AM
Trades in the past , have owners swapping Army Grips Frame for Navy & Vise versa.

I seen several ads by folks here as well as Open Range wanting to do the deal.... I prefur the Army Grips  and I've conciddered it myself.

Run an Ad and see if you get any takers ...nothing better that even trade to save some bucks.

I can tell you that my ASM grips, both Army and Navy size will NOT match up with any of my Uberti frames.

I can mix and match ANY BP or conversion (1872 Open TOP included) Uberti at will.   In fact I have an ASM Richards Type 1 apart on the bench and I was reassembling a pair of Uberti '60s from last week's cleaning (I often leave then unassembled and coated with Ballistol in plastic containers after I have stripped and totally cleaned them ) for grins I tried it again and the holes wouldn't even line up.

I have made Piettas work with some effort , but this was a no go.  I had tried alignment with an 1851 ASM and Uberti parts a while back to answer a friend who asked the same question you did.  It didn't fit either.

So in a nutshell you can swap Navy and Army grips within the same manufacturer, but not between Uberti and ASM.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Abilene

Biermeister, I'm with Major 2 on this (especially now that you know that ASM gripframes will not fit your Uberti) - if you put out the word (here, SASS Wire classifieds, etc) that you want to trade your army gripframe and grip for Navy, you will have an excellent chance of finding what you need at no cost other than shipping.

Major 2

Exactily,  Abilene that's what I meant ....trade for and swap with the same manufacturer.

Mako , perhaps you mis-read me  :-\ 

Mako

Quote from: Major 2 on June 16, 2009, 05:17:42 PM
Exactily,  Abilene that's what I meant ....trade for and swap with the same manufacturer.

Mako , perhaps you mis-read me  :-\ 
I'm sorry, I was actually answering Biermeister.  Sorry for the confusion... He originally asked about ASM parts on Uberti pistols, I wanted to make sure he understood even if he did get a trade it had to be manufacturer to manufacturer.

~Mako

Biermeister

Thanks for the responses Mako, Major2, Abilene and Fox Creek Kid. I have a 1861 Uberti Navy, believe I will take the backstrap and grip frame off and mount it on one of my 1872's to see if I like the way it feels. I'm sure I will love it. First handgun I ever bought was an 1851 Navy Hawes back in 1971 best feeling grip ever.
USNR-Ret (Seabees)
Disabled Veteran

Mako

Biermeister,
Do you want to trade your Open Top Grips for Navy size grips, or just your '61?

~Mako

Biermeister

Sorry for the confusion Mako. I meant to say that I will take the grip frame and trigger guard off my Uberti 1861 Navy and install it on one of my Open Tops. No, I don't want to sell my 1861 Navy.
USNR-Ret (Seabees)
Disabled Veteran

Mako

Quote from: Biermeister on June 17, 2009, 08:26:29 AM
Sorry for the confusion Mako. I meant to say that I will take the grip frame and trigger guard off my Uberti 1861 Navy and install it on one of my Open Tops. No, I don't want to sell my 1861 Navy.
Biermeister,
Not your fault, I was trying to be concise, I guess I am not communicating well.  Unfortunately I made it sound like it was an "either, or" proposition.  I was trying to ask if you wanted one or two grip sets.  I didn't  know because you told us you were trying to save money you might be willing just use your '61 grip and get another for the other '72, or if you needed two more Navy grips to be able to return your '61 grip back to that pistol.

So let me see if I got this straight.

• You have a pair of '72 Open Tops with Army sized grips
  • You have an 1861 with the standard Navy size grip
  • You like Navy size grips better
  • You don't want to sell your 1861
I am simply asking if you wanted to trade your Uberti Army sized grips on your model '72 Open Tops for Uberti Navy grips.  I wasn't asking about selling or trading for your '61, I have enough of those already.   (But I have a sickness and if you are interested...) Oh, and are your '72s Cimarron imports, Taylor or someone else?

I asked because you have never said whether or not you would entertain trading them, others had mentioned that option, you had only discussed buying less expensive Armi San Marco parts and later you talked about trying your Navy grips on one of your '72s to see how it felt.  I was trying to determine what you were open to doing.

So now that I have stomped around and muddied the tank I want to point out a couple of last things.  The Uberti '72 Open Top Navy size grips have always been fully brass as far as I know.  Also as far as I know the Army size grips on the Uberti '72 Open Tops have always been fully steel which is in keeping with those grips on the original Colts.  I don't know if you want Brass or Steel and I also don't know what grip frames you have on your '61.  There are several types of Uberti '61s , I have one Civilian Model (Without the stock Cuts or the extra screws) labeled as a "London Model"  with steel grip frames. I have a "Civilian" model with brass grip frames and no stock cuts. I have one "Military" model with steel grip frames and stock cuts and another one with brass.  Is there a particular look you are interested in, or just the Navy Grip feel? 

I'm not interested in selling mine either, but since I do have this sickness (the first step to recovery is supposed to be admitting you have a problem ) I am always looking to pick up any "Civilian" Models (Civilian Model means no stock cuts or extra screws on the frame to me) I find at a reasonable price.

In regards to admitting I have a problem, I'm a bit confused on that, I'm not sure if it means I have too many or too few...

Regards,
Mako

Major 2

I picked up a Civilian Model the other day...she slapped the hell out of me.... ;D

I'm stick'n'to guns  ;)

Mako

Quote from: Major 2 on June 17, 2009, 03:12:03 PM
I picked up a Civilian Model the other day...she slapped the hell out of me.... ;D

I'm stick'n'to guns  ;)
Sometimes it's worth it...

Daniel Nighteyes

I have one -- count it, one -- Uberti brass 1851 gripframe that came off of an 1851 Richards-Mason.  Grip-frame only, no grip. Would this help any?    danielnighteyes01@gmail.com

Biermeister

Mako,
    Yes I have two Open Tops with the Army grip. Wife purchased them for me before I was disabled. She liked the looks of the blued steel over the brass frame. Have to agree with her, I love the the blued steel. She didn't realize the different in grip size. Great Woman, She has been by side and supported me all the way .
    I have a Uberti 1861 navy, steel frame with stock cutout and screw for stock.
    Yes, I like the Navy grip better.
    No, I don't want to sell my 61 Navy.
    Yes, I would be wiling to trade the Army gripframe/triggerguard, wood includeed, for Uberti Navy (steel only)gripframe/triggerguard , wood included. I like the looks of the blued steel best.
    Open Tops are Cimarrons.
    Thanks Mako.

Daniel Nighteyes,
    May be interested in the gripframe if no one is willing to trade Navy steel uberti gripframe/triggerguard for my steel Open Top frames/triggerguard. What would you want for the brass frame/triggerguard? Thanks.

USNR-Ret (Seabees)
Disabled Veteran

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com