Barrel Cutdown on a '51

Started by Jailhouse Jim, June 13, 2009, 12:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jailhouse Jim

Any thoughts on cutting a 1851 7 1/2" barrel down to 5-5 1/2"?  Other than needing a rammer extension for leverage, is there any other kind of problems a fellas would be facing?  I like the shorter barrels for getting on target, especially with my weak side duelist shooting.  Would it work better with a .36 or a .44?  Got both and am ready to experiment with them to make them work a little better for me.

Jailhouse Jim

Pettifogger

Helps with weak side shooting and also getting clear of your leather.  I've cut down several.  Here is one that is cut to an even 5 inches.  I just cut down a new in the box 2nd gen Colt 51 to 6".  Both balance and point well.

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Pettifogger on June 13, 2009, 12:35:52 AM
I've cut down several.  Here is one that is cut to an even 5 inches.  I just cut down a new in the box 2nd gen Colt 51 to 6".  Both balance and point well.

Dam near impossible to get a Colt out of balance; isn't it?

If it does go south on you, DGW sell replacement barrels. I'd be interested in how it turns out.

Bruce

Capt. Montgomery Little

Have also done a "few" of these conversions and all have worked quite well. I have one on our website at www.gripmaker.com on the "Guns and Grips" page which is a 61 Navy (most difficult to do). The 51 in upper left corner was also cut back to 4 3/4". Both shot exceptionally well but, alas, I sold both of them at the 2009 NCOWS Convention. Thinking about a 60 Army, cut back and Navy gripframe added, then install conversion cylinder for 45 Colt. Should look just like the 61 with larger bore.

BTW, there is not much leverage lost when the loading lever is cut back. The thing to watch out for is properly slotting and drilling for the lever latch as some are not hollow.

Jailhouse Jim

I like those guns for sure.  Are those original sights?  Mine just have the brass button sights.  It looks like they might shoot point of aim better since they look taller.

Pettifogger

No, custom .125" wide front sight, rear sight in hammer machined to match.  The gun also has cap guards and a cylinder bushing installed, and the grips were thinned and refinished.

Fiddler Green

To me, the Navys got to be the best looking pistol ever! And, it's just as pretty with a short barrel; who knew?

So, what kind of "cap guard" did you install?

Pictures?

Bruce

Earl Brasse

Lookin' good Pettifogger, well done.  

If any of you pards are lookin' for a 1851, 1861, or even 1849 barrel to cut down, give me a holler.  I have Signature Series Colt Barrels & parts (fit Uberti).

Jailhouse Jim

Quote from: Pettifogger on June 13, 2009, 11:02:12 PM
No, custom .125" wide front sight, rear sight in hammer machined to match.  The gun also has cap guards and a cylinder bushing installed, and the grips were thinned and refinished.

That is one fine looking handgun.  Do the sights or the hammer create a modification issue for SASS?  I sure would like to have my .36's cut down at minimum, the sights would just be gravy.  I have be toying with getting a cylinder bushing put in although mine doesn't have a binding issue after a day of shooting (I lube over the ball).

How is the sight put on, Silver Solder?
Did you do the work or have it done?

Thanks for the information,

Jailhouse Jim

Flint

Jailhouse, you can be sure that Pettifogger did his own work..........

This is a pair of 51's I cut to 5-1/2 inches, made new dovetail sights, converted with Kirst, installed 72 Opentop ejectors and Thunderer gripframes.  Expensive, but cute.   Flint

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Deadeye Dick

Flint,
Nice pair or shootin' irons. Where did you get the dovetailed front sights?
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Pettifogger

Quote from: Jailhouse Jim on June 15, 2009, 07:52:38 AM
That is one fine looking handgun.  Do the sights or the hammer create a modification issue for SASS?  I sure would like to have my .36's cut down at minimum, the sights would just be gravy.  I have be toying with getting a cylinder bushing put in although mine doesn't have a binding issue after a day of shooting (I lube over the ball).

How is the sight put on, Silver Solder?
Did you do the work or have it done?

Thanks for the information,

Jailhouse Jim

Front sight is silver soldered.  Rear sight was squared with an end mill.  SASS rules provide: "• Rear sight notches cut into the revolver hammer may be widened."

Pettifogger

Have a hard time seeing revolver sights, so I have been using more and more brass beads.  The first picture is a .175 shotgun bead with a spacer to get the elevation correct.  The second is a 51 with a big bead and a rifle sight on the rear of the barrel cut so it is a big "U".  The last photo is a 2nd Gen Colt 51 with minimal mods.  Big bead and the barrel shortened to 6".  (Plus a couple of experiments that I'm not sure work as planned yet.)

RollingThunder

You know, I've been wondering if anyone ever put a rifle site on their pistol. Now I know!

How does it shoot for ya!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Pettifogger

It's like putting a pumpkin on a fence post.  Everyone that has tried it loves it.

Jailhouse Jim

Thanks for all the information fellas, you have had some really good ideas that would make a good shooter even better. 

Flint, you may remember my '51s, you had them for a bit last May for new hands and springs.  I have to say, they are working great with no wear on the hands that I can see.  I have used them at more than a few matches already without a problem (mechanical related).  I even went gamer and used them two-handed in Frontier Cartridge on Sunday  8).  I was giving them what for until that daggone cap decided to wrap itself around the hammer face  ???.

There is truely nothing quite like a 1851 Colt.

Jailhouse Jim

RollingThunder

Quote from: Jailhouse Jim on June 15, 2009, 08:40:43 PM

There is truely nothing quite like a 1851 Colt.

Now that's simply not true, Jim. An 1851 Colt clone is an awful close cousin.

LOL. Jes' joshin' ya!

So Pettifogger, what rifle did that hindsight critter come off of?

Pettifogger

Quote from: RollingThunder on June 15, 2009, 09:22:41 PM
Now that's simply not true, Jim. An 1851 Colt clone is an awful close cousin.

LOL. Jes' joshin' ya!

So Pettifogger, what rifle did that hindsight critter come off of?

Couldn't find one that I liked, so I made it.

Flint

Deadeye, I made those sights myself.      Flint.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

RollingThunder

Looks really good there, PF. Makes you wonder why old Sam Colt never made that on his production models.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com