Armi Sport Sharps

Started by Fiddler Green, June 11, 2009, 10:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric F

I just saw this thread and had to coment.

I bought a Armi Sport BillyDixon model 50-90 last year.

Workmanshik is good++ not quite excellent.

Internals were excellent
singlt trigger in 14+ pounds set trigger is ounces action is tight.

I was shooting a 530 gr bullet with 95 gr bp over powder card and grease cookie to a mv of 1250 the sights need help and accuracey was 5 inches @100 

I went with a 600 gr bullet and 85 gr bp mv 1225 group tightened to 1 inch at 100

I picked the Armi over others due to cost and the availability.  I have run close to 500 rounds through it with no problems.  Leading is non existant with careful cleaning.

Its a great gun and if I stop shooting it I could afford better sights.  I say get one, and yes you do get what you pay for and this gun is every bit of that.

El Tigre

Quote from: Eric F on October 18, 2009, 04:20:20 AM

Its a great gun and if I stop shooting it I could afford better sights.  I say get one, and yes you do get what you pay for and this gun is every bit of that.

right, I have a 55-120 Sharps, built from components of Armis sport. It makes fun !! ;D

Sorry, I do not know to add a photo.

El Tigre

cpt dan blodgett

My off the wire Armi Sharps arrives tomorrow.
Picked this tidbit off the net.  The two letters in the Square box tell you when the rifle was proofed.

Next, you can tell the date of manufacture from the two letters in a square located at the breech near the serial number, for example...AL 1983 AM 1984 AN 1985 AP 1986 AS 1987 AT 1988 AU 1989, AZ 1990, BA 1991, BB 1992, BC 1993, BD 1994 BF 1995 BH 1996 BI 1997 BL 1998 BM 1999 BN 2000 BP 2001 BS 2002 BT 2003 BU 2004 BZ 2005, CA 2006, CB 2007 CC 2008 CD 2010 CF 2011

Have a more extensive listing going back to 1954, prior to that was the 4 digit year. 
http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

Funny it seems the Italians are incapable of really nice stamping like winchester put on their guns back in the day, where all letters and numbers are crystal clear after a 100 years or so.

Will be interesting to see when mine was made.  Seller thinks he bought it about 5 years ago.  Not sure when the quality started on the upswing. 

Any one know if the introduction of the larger firing pin corresponded to the change from 1 in 22 to 1 in 18.
Having no basis for comparison, I will not know of my firing pin is large or small when the rifle gets here.
Dimensions any one?  Have starretts can check
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

cpt dan blodgett

The rifle arrived

Bore very shiny couple of cart marks on stock no noticeable dings to metal or rust.  Fit and finish actually look good.  Trigger seems ok, reticent to dry fire so do not have a real test.  Front trigger adjustment screw can be turned with finger nail.  Guess I should adjust back out 1 to 2 turns blue loctite and screw back in proper amount of turns.  Using the old flagged rod and bore brush trick I get a 1 in 20 twist, which should not be correct as I think they were 1 in 22 and 1 in 18 but who knows.

Factory ladder sight is a joke.  In the down position .345 high ladder flipped up .600  should be about 25 – 35 min  difference without doing the math.  Verniers on 30 inch sight radius about .010 per min.  The joke part is there is no lock at the different ranges, and not a lot of friction.  I can see the blade sliding down with every shot.  .

Proof Date Code BS indicating 2002 year of proof.  Really BS what better marking for one of my rifles.
Bore slugs .457 -.458 Was harder to move the ball down the barrel than with the remington roller.

Distance from nose of deparado bullet 415 grain .458 bullet touching rifling to breach face measured with dowel and eyeball callipered to leading edge of marks 2.712  
The rolling block measured the same way is 2.794   Looks like I will end up with two different seating depths.  One real close to the trailing edge of crimp groove and one near leading edge of 1st lube groove.

Casing fired in remmie will not quite chamber, cannot get fully seated, about ½ rim thickness out.  

Guessing a couple of grains powder difference.

Bad news is will not be able to shoot before 24 Sep at earliest and most likely 2nd week end in October is more realistic.
Subsequent playing with a bullet slip fit in case 2.705 for the sharps and right around there for the roller,  bullet pulls from the case if to long, so I am kinda guessing
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Steel Horse Bailey

Glad you have your rifle, Cap'n. Dan and seem to be happy with it, so far.  It appears to be the EXACT version AS mine.  As I mentioned in our PM, mine is a well-made rifle with a few quirks.  However, I think MANY guns have a "few quirks!"  It is just easier to holler to/about the Eye-tralian guns than the American made "quirky" guns ... and NO, anyone reading this must supply the name of their own "quirky" gun - I ain't doin' it for ya!
;D

Fiddler Green - Allons, Brother! 

I like my Armi Sport Sharps. 
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com