Gunbelt dilema...

Started by Rayban, June 10, 2009, 08:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayban

I'm gonna be making a rig for a bud soon and I can't decide the style of gun belt to make for him...a money belt type or ranger belt.

It will be mostly for show/display and I keep thinking a money belt style is more true to the period...any criteria i should think about?
Pros and cons please.
Oh, and it will have cartridge loops...it will be for a Ruger Blackhawk with Cheyenne style holster.
Thanks.

RollingThunder

Depends. Is the cowboy poor, or is he well-off enough to need a money belt?
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Slowhand Bob

There is a lady what shows up sometimes that does extremely beautiful leather work and her cowgirl name is Purdy Gear.  A few years back I saw a belt that the had done that I really fell in love with, a kinda halfbreed belt.  It possessed a few traits of the three major styles, the tapered, the Ranger and the money belt.  The billets were made separate such as one would find on a Ranger style or money belt while the belts main body was folded chap or upholstery leather, also like a money belt.  The difference was that the leather billets were actually sewed on the very ends of the light leather to create a tapered belt and the contrast just looked awsom to me.  It would be fairly easy to duplicate the construction and I think the contrast would look good without a lot of extra adornment but I just never got around to it!!!   

JD Alan

That gal does some killer leatherwork, and she has a great looking website. She's had her work professionally photographed, and it really makes an impression when you see the pictures of her work. She writes occasionally in the SASS news paper. 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

outrider

Hummmm...now that type of belt appeals to me.  I think I understand what she did.  If you do a money style belt keep in mind that the leather should be about 4 to 5 oz.  anything thicker will not fold that evenly...I made a Duke style belt not long ago and used leather that was way to thick..the fold is so so but could have been better with lighter material...so now I have a proto type money belt for me to wear ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D

Most of the photos I see in Packing Iron show money belts with billots..similar to the ranger style..but what is nice about this leather work is that you can make what you want....your preference
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Rayban

Quote from: RollingThunder on June 10, 2009, 09:09:26 PM
Depends. Is the cowboy poor, or is he well-off enough to need a money belt?

...I guess I asked for that.... ::)

TN Mongo

Rayban,

If I were you I would show him examples (at least pictures) of both and let him make the final decision.  Sometimes what I think is the best idea isn't ultimately what the customer wants.

Springfield Slim

Personally I would make him a Ranger belt. The main advantage of the money belt style is comfort, and a money belt takes too dang much hand sewing for a belt that isn't gong to be worn much.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com