Stitches per inch

Started by cowboy316, June 07, 2009, 10:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Lewis

I use fewer stitches per inch for toe plugs otherwise I go nuts.

saddler

Hi All

The minimum I normally use is 6 to the inch, most items I make are 8 or 9

The last item I made was a scabbard for a Randall knife & that I did at 12 (using 2.5mm thick Sedgewick Bridle Butt)

I mainly use pricking irons to mark out the stitch location, the actual hole then being made by the awl.
The BIGGEST single improvement to my sewing was dropping use of the various over-stitch wheels/spacing wheels & adopting the pricking iron system

I sometimes use one of 2 correct pricking wheel sets I have: these have wheels with spacing ranging from 5 to about 14 to the inch - one is an old Dixon (UK) the other smaller one is an Osborne (USA) - the Osborne is handy as the spare wheels store inside the hollow handle

If there's any interest I can post pics of what I have

Jon

JD Alan

Being new to leatherwork (About one year now) I would like to know more about it. I've got the Tandy wheels in 5,6,7, and the various chisels they sell. I do have a real good Bob Douglas awl, with two blades, and a couple others, not as good

The more info and ideas, the better. Thanks, JD.     
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Gun Butcher

That is one of the things I like so much about this forum JD, someone like Saddler coming out with somthing we have never heard of before.
Saddler, what is a pricking wheel, pictures would be appreciated if possible. I am always open to new ways of doing things.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Gun Butcher

Thank you WC,  I have seen those before but didn't know what they were used for. Is their an advantage to the pricking wheel versus the stitching wheel ???
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

JD Alan

Good question there, Gun Butcher, I look forward to reading the answer too. JD

Thanks WC   

cowboywc

Howdy
None that I know of.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

saddler

Quote from: cowboywc on June 13, 2009, 08:12:37 PM
Howdy All
Try this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-VINTAGE-C.-S.-OSBORNE-&-CO.-LEATHER-PRICKING-WHEEL-_W0QQitemZ290323742784QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090612?IMSfp=TL090612196002r9725
WC

Er, almost WC, but not quite....I wish I had a dollar/pound/euro for every tool shop that tried to sell me one of these as a Saddlers Pricking Wheel... A correct pricking wheel has offset teeth to it - I'll post pics shortly of my 2, plus some pricking irons.

What's shown above, sad to say, is a marking wheel used in dressmaking, etc. to transfer a pattern through the paper onto the cloth

Jon

saddler

Quote from: Gun Butcher on June 13, 2009, 09:00:19 PM
Thank you WC,  I have seen those before but didn't know what they were used for. Is their an advantage to the pricking wheel versus the stitching wheel ???

Hi GunButcher
The pricking wheel leaves an offset angled mark for the awl to pass through
The stitch wheel (the thing I first used myself having read the Stohlman books) leaves a small indentation for the awl

Just taken pics - will crop them then upload

Jon

saddler

OK first up, USA made pricking wheels by C.S. Osborne

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/Moore_Leather/Tools/3Osbornewheels.jpg
Top 2 are almost identical arm shapes/sizes - I think the lower one is earlier mfg.

Next, the middle of the above three pricking wheels is somewhat different from the norm...

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/Moore_Leather/Tools/Osbornewheel.jpg
Left wheel is 18-inch, going down to 5-inch on the right (gap in line is where the 8-inch wheel should be - mine is missing & I have 2 7-inch's)

Next, a British wheel with 2 Osborne's for size comparison
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/Moore_Leather/Tools/DixonOsbornewheels.jpg

And a close up of the wheels from it to try to illustrate the "teeth"
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/Moore_Leather/Tools/Dixonwheeldetail.jpg

Finally (for now) A selection of SOME of my Pricking Irons
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/Moore_Leather/Tools/Prickingirons.jpg
These range from 5-inch to about 14-inch; the lower centre one is a 12-inch, is dated 1916 & was British Army issued

If anyone needs more info or pics on anythiung I have posted please PM me or post requests on here

Jon

JD Alan

Thanks saddler, I always appreciate someone posting pictures of tools. Besides the number of holes per inch they make, is there any difference between those and Tandy's overstitch wheels?

They look to be a better quality tool than Tandy (Big Shock) and the points look sharper. Is there anything else different about them?

Thanks, JD

saddler

Quote from: JD Alan on June 14, 2009, 08:02:28 AM
Besides the number of holes per inch they make, is there any difference between those and Tandy's overstitch wheels?

Is there anything else different about them?

Thanks, JD

Hi JD

Yes, apart from the quality difference, they make a totally different mark on the surface of the leather. IF I can find my overstitch wheels I will make a set of lines on a piece of scrap & post pics to show how the two types of tool differ.
JUST having pics of the tools themselves doesn't get across the BIG difference in the end result - never thought to add more images...my fault.

I'll have to do it in a couple of hours or so - as I'm only just in from the pistol club & SWMBO wants to go shopping - so I'm designated driver!!
Not too bad a deal though, as I like going into the city (Edinburgh) as there's always something to do & I know where the best junk shops/book shops are  :P

Jon

p.s. If anyone has other specific questions on tools please ask as I can easily add more pics/start a new thread

JD Alan

I can see by the sharp points they would make different marks. I do have one question. How does it affect the sewing of leather, compared to Tandy's overstitch wheels?

Thanks very much, enjoy your shopping trip. I've got to get to my "Job" as a pastor. I've got a service in about an hour.

JD

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the pics, saddler. I love the one with the multiple wheels. It looks like they all fit on the rod in the center of the handle. So cool. I love those older tools.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy
Sorry, I clicked on the wrong pix.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Gun Butcher

Thank you Saddler, a picture is worth a thousand words.
JD, you are a good influence on me. You have taught me how to ask good questions.

JD Alan

Someimes I worry about asking too many questions around here, or too many dumb ones anyway!

Gun Butcher

You see, Thats just it, I havn't heard you ask a dumb question yet JD. You would not believe how much I have learned from the answers to the questions you have asked. Many thanks. GB

saddler

Hi all,

Pic below is of the indentation marks made; wheel on the left, irons on the right.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/Moore_Leather/Misc/pricking.jpg

As per previous posts, the marks are ONLY to puncture the surface. You'll notice a few variations due to the "age" of tools (time made as opposed to being worn out I mean) & different makers
The slant angle is quite common & ALWAYS the same way
BUT
Reverse slant tools ARE encountered - these are normally custom ordered as part of a matched pair - and used in box & case making when sewing corners/edges

I wasn't able to post pics of the overstitch wheels, but as thats what a few of you are using then you already know what they look like!!

Hope the pic is of interest

Jon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com