Stitches per inch

Started by cowboy316, June 07, 2009, 10:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy316

hey pard just got curious bout what you guys use in your overstitch wheels ive got a 6 stitch per inch was wondering what you guys use
     thanks pards
           Cowboy316

Slowhand Bob

Right before I stopped hand sewing I was using about five per inch and a large ropey thread.  I thought it looked pretty good, especially when the stitch color was a contrast, and resulted in a few saved stitches on every project.  I did not use the traditional overstitch wheel but rather used the heathenistic stitch punches from Tandy.  My finger joints had gotten so tender that this was the only way to hand sew and it turned out to work well for me.  On the occasions where I hand stitch now days it is done in a manner that will most closely match the machine stitches on a project.

cowboy316

SB
thanks for the info ive always wondered why the different number in stitches per inch LOL
im makeing a list of more tools i need to get so i can really get things kicked out
   thanks again
      Cowboy316

Gun Butcher

Cowboy, I've got a #5 and a #6 and to be honest with you I usually use whichever one comes to hand first. But, if I am stitching something that I know is going to have hard use or alot of stress on the seams I will usually do 8 stitiches per inch laid out by hand.
It takes more time but it seems to make it stronger.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

#5 or #6
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

cowboywc

Howdy
5 or 6 most of the time. I have a 10 & 13 but have only used them once each. I use them for phony stitches now.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

cowboy316

hey pards thanks for all the info ill be picking up a #5 overstitch wheel tomorrow when im at the tandy shop along with other needed tools
thanks again guys
     Cowboy316

Wild Billy Potts

One of the best I've ever talked to, said to forget the wheels and use the awl thickness as a guide and after some prcatice you will get a good 8-10 stitches to the inch.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I've found that the #5 or #6 works best for me, I think you get a stronger stitch line when you don't put your stitches too close together, when you have too many stitches per inch, you're not allowing enough leather between stitches, and when making holster there are stress points that will and do tear out if the stitches are too close together, I've found this to be true first hand, I use a saddle stitch on just about everything I make, and I find it to be the strongest of all the stitches we can use, when you have too many stitches per inch, it's not the thread that give out or breaks, it's the leather that tears.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

cowboy316

ok guys now that i have a good idea bout the stitchs per inch next question is GLUE or NO GLUE ??? ??? ???
thans again pards for the great info
       Cowboy316

JD Alan

WC, what is a phony Stitch? Can you describe an application, and how it might be accomplished? Thanks, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboy316

howdy JD
  my idea of what WC calls a phony stitch is he uses the over stitch whell lie he was laying out the stitching marks making them deep enough to be visible and to stay imprinted in the leather but he naver actually stitchs it just my idea of phony stitchs LOL
  Cowboy316

Ned Buckshot

I say yes to glueing, I've always glued my stich lines first. It seems to hold the line better and there is much less to trim after stitching.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Cowboy 316, I always use Contact Cement on my glue line, you need to let it set up before gluing together, I wait 15 minutes or longer up to 30 minutes some times, in my climate hear in California, and when I glue together, I TAP IT ALL DOWN WITH A SMOOTH HEADED HAMMER , to get an even better bond.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

cowboywc

Quote from: JD Alan on June 08, 2009, 07:45:46 AM
WC, what is a phony Stitch? Can you describe an application, and how it might be accomplished? Thanks, JD
Howdy JD
Cowboy is right, you roll the overstitch wheel heavy on the leather and it leaves a phony stitch that looks real. You can only do it with the old wheels, the new ones from Tandy and Hidecrafters don't work.
WC

Rayban

i can't think of anything that I stitch now days that I don't glue first....if nothing else than to hold the pieces/layers together while I stitch em...

Cowboy...why do i feel like you're trying to stir the pot......try something more meaningful: boxers or briefs.

JD Alan

OK, I guess I didn't read that right the first time. I've not heard of stitch wheels beyond 7 per incih, but I realize there are lots of tools out there that are no longer available. I have used the Tandy stitch wheel for phony stitches, but as to how it turned out, well, that's subjective ;D

cowboywc

Howdy JD
Most of the time anything over a 7 is used for English Tack.
Here is a pix of my 2. One is an old Gomph and the other is a C.S. Osborne.
I made a mistake they are a 10 & a 12.
WC

JD Alan

Thanks WC,I really appreciate you taking time to post the pictures. This stroke kinda squashed my plans to go to Pirue this year, and I was hoping to get the rest of the way south to pay you a visit. Bummer, but thanks for all your on-line help. JD 

Marshal Will Wingam

I will generally use 5 stitches per inch but that isn't locked in stone because there are times when something else is more appropriate. I glue the stitch lines about half the time, depending on what I want to do.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com