Jaeger Rifle sling

Started by Gun Butcher, May 31, 2009, 09:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun Butcher

OK, it ain't CAS but it is a leather question. I just finished a Jaeger rifle and I am trying to find some idea of the correct style of sling to go with it.
I am hoping some of you historical types can weigh in and give me some kind of direction as to where to look, or ideas. If I don't come up with a period correct style then I am going to go with a 1 1/2" wide tooled single length strap.

Anyway tell me what you think.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Doc O

What I use on mine are 1 1/2" and 2" hemp web. It's nothing fancy but I like it.
Doc

Freedom

I am not an expert but the one I have and the ones I have seen have all had a metal horseshoe style front hoop and a large caridge head style metal, screw in, button post (3/4-1") for the rear attatchement. The slings were usually more narrow than 1 1/2"...the top is run threw the horse shoe and laced and the rear is just a virtical slit that fits over the caridge button.

Gun Details!!... Flinter, caliber, ....PICTURES.?.. very nice to see hand made smokepoles ;D Glad to here you made your own and in one of my favorite styles too! :D :o
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Doc O

Just keep in mind  a Jaeger is not a light rifle and if you go to narrow on your sling your shoulder will let you know in short order.
You can always narrow it at the swivels if need be.
And ya lets see some pictures.

Gun Butcher

Thanks for the ideas. I suppose the sling should be plain but the rifle is not so I was thinking of doing some tooling.
here are a couple of pictures. Hope you approve.
  It's a .58 cal, tapered and swamped barrel. The stock came from a tree in my old hometown of Spencer, Wis.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Freedom

WOW :o :o Very NICE!!!...I really like the set trigger style. Is that your own design? I don't think I have ever seen a set built quite like that before.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Gun Butcher

Thanks Freedom, no the set trigger is not mine it was purchased from Track of the Wolf. The triggerguard and set trigger style is made for use with heavy gloves and I thought it gave the whole rifle a better look.
Thanks again for your help on the sling.

outrider

GB,

You may want to try and contact Davide Pedersoli Co. in Italy.  They make reproductions of the Jaeger rifles and may have inpu into the sling
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Gun Butcher

Thanks Outrider, I will do that,

cowboy316

GB
very very awesome rifle love the grain pattern of the maple cant wait to get a hadle or 2 finished up
Thanks again pard
      Cowboy316

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Gun Butcher

Sir Charles, I can only wish that mine was like one of Doc Whites,or dream whichever works

Doc O

GB.
Well done, I like it alot. Great patch box  ;D.
You'll love that trigger set up, I have the same one on one of mine.
That grain is a knock out. 8) 8) 8) 8)
With that swamp barrel in that cal. it should handle really well.
What brand of barrel did you use?

Doc

Gun Butcher

Doc O, its a Colerain barrel, Davis lock.  And Thanks  again.

RollingThunder

Gore. Jes.

Simply so as well! Nice work!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Gun Butcher

Thank you kind sir. I have found a number of different style slings and along with everyones suggestions I have settled on one. It will be 1 1/4" at the front swivel and widning out to 2" then bck down to 1" for the buckle and rear button stud.  I plan on using 7/8 0z leather with a suede lining for the 2" section ( I bow to or under the weight of this thing its almost 11lbs) and the 2" sectin is going to get some carving. Now all I have to do is decide on the carving pattern. I am leaning toward using a personal design to match the carving on the stock.
All of the sudden this is getting as complex as the rifle was but it is a large part of the enjoyment. When it all comes together from your own plan it does make you feel good.

WAIDMAN'S HEIL!

A German greeting between hunters.  The response is WAIDMAN'S DANK!

Gun Butcher

???  Whatever you said Sir Charles I am sure you are right ???

saddler

Hi

A bit late in the day, but a traditional type sling I sometimes make for customers over here in the UK is shown below. Its an old design, can be made to match cartridge bag or game bag straps, and is totally silent in use & has no metal parts which may damage stocks etc.

Jon

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l151/Moore_Leather/Slings/sling.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com