Patterns

Started by Slowhand Bob, May 30, 2009, 12:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

I have received a couple of requests for patterns and one way or another you will get it if you asked for one BUT is there a reasonably easy way that one could post a pattern drawing here that others could easily download into something usable?  I do have a scanner and most patterns could be scanned in one to three, depending on size, parts for posting.  Could this be done as an actual, real size, low resolution scan that can be easily copied from THE LEATHER SHOP site by downloading?  We are pretty much talking about a tracing and I do know how to link the pictures here.  Sorry for my lack of computer savvy but it would help in the exchange of ideas rather than actually mailing to each individual. 

JD Alan

Inquiring minds want to know! Which means I don't have a clue.

But I sure am interested in seeing someone figuring it out (Since I am one of the ones looking for one of your patterns)

Bob, if you could explain how the tie is used in the rig I was asking about, (between the flap and the body of the holster) that would be a big help. I can see you used two screws (or some fastening devices) on the back, but I can't figure out how it's used.

Thanks very much, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ottawa Creek Bill

Slowhand.....

You can buy grid paper at any art supply house or office max that has 1/4 inch increments on it. the simplest way would be to trace the pattern on the grid paper noting the size, scan it and save it to Adobe Photoshop or a photo editing program like photo shop and then email it as a attachment. The recipient would only have to enlarge the attachment to the size noted in a photo editing program. Hope this helps.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a good solution, Bill. Certainly better than any suggestins I might have.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Slowhand Bob

I'm not sure how it will work when a scanner is added to the mix but...  When I scan in through Paint Shop Pro and do not resize, anything I print out from that work will stay same size as original.  I will experiment a bit here and see what happens.  This will be the holsters that I will try to transfer patterns on first.  Of course patterns are only a small part of the overall project.     

JD Alan

"The patterns are only a small part of the overall project"  Boy, that's the truth! Thanks for the effort Bob. I sure appreciate it. JD

RollingThunder

Bob, if you want, scan what you have made, noting the size. I'll resize it and clean it up as a piece of vector art in Adobe Illustrator, make a PDF of it, and post it in the patterns thread we started way back when.

Sound good?

LOL. Sometimes it's good to be an art director. :D
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

RollingThunder

BTW ... a piece of vector art will have crisper lines, be smaller in file size, and reproduce better when printed out, even if it is in pieces.

Ottawa Creek Bill

Adobe Photoshop elements is around $99.00 at Best Buy, cheaper on the internet, cheap investment for making and resizing patterns. You don't have to be that computer savvy to use it either. It will resize to any size your printer will print.

If you know that the grid increments on the paper are a 1/4 inch, then its a simple matter to resize to the right size. You just resize until the increments are a quarter inch square. Larger patterns will have to be split into two or more parts depending on size.

The grid increments make a split pattern easy to match up. I use mine all the time. And remember, we're not talking Astrophysics here, so it doesn't have to be exact, just real close.

Slowhand...That is some beautiful work my friend!! I'm just not into the SASS style rigs, but anybody can appreciate nice work ........real nice.

Hope this helps

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Slowhand Bob

OK, When I right click on this image, after opening, and hit 'save as', I can send it to a file of my choice, within my computer.  If I then open it within either Adobe or Paint Shop Pro, it can be printed out in actual size to my original.  Let me know if this works for you.  By the way, when I tried to print it out in the windows viewer the size was off slightly.  To be right you will only have about an eighth of an inch margin top and bottom on standard 11" printer paper. 

RollingThunder

Is that the entire pattern? Shouldn't there be a front piece out and off to the side near the bottom, sort of making it look like a big "L" ?

Slowhand Bob

These will be the last two pieces to go with this, a holster back which will attach at the top of the skirt and a holster front that will attach to the back at the fold line.  Did this part print out at the correct size for you and/or others?  I'll wait to hear if the three pieces are working for everyone before going further.

JD Alan

Good day Bob. I sent that first one to my wife. She resized it and printed in out for me. The only thing she needed to know was one of the actual dimensions. You said the first one was 10 3/4 inches (1/8 inch margin on the top and bottom of an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper) So, knowing that, it came out fine.

If I had the overall length of the other two pieces, I thnik I can make it work. Thanks for the effort, it is appreciated, JD   

Slowhand Bob

Jd, the holster back measures at 10 7/16" at its extreme length and the holster front comes in at 7 5/16".  When I downloaded the first one directly from this site as a file and opened it with an outside program it turned out to be an exact size replica of the one I posted.  I am hoping that someone with a bit of computer savvy could get us on the same page as it would be convenient to be able to transmit and download in real size but I do not understand what is taking place.  I do know that when I used the default viewer I got a slightly oversize image.  One last thought here, this is an extremely modified version of the Ghormley BLACK CANYON RIG holster and it would behoove you to have a set on hand to use for sizing and it gives you a reference as to various barrel lengths as well.  While I am touting this set of patterns, Will has probably done the best job I have seen yet of showing us how to size and fit a busky style belt belt with these patterns.  The belt pattern alone is worth far more than the price of the pattens in my reckoning.  By overlaying the patterns and lining the main seam you would simply need to add the changes on to the original and remember the leathers will be the same as he describes.  The techniques are quite different from what is commonly used but we will talk about that when you have a working pattern. 

JD Alan

Thanks Bob. My wife just now finished resizing them, and they came out great. I purchased the Black Canyon pattern of Will's, and every other one Tandy carries. I really like the Black Canyon rig, but don't want to build a Busky rig. When I first bought the patterns, they kind of threw me for a loop, but now that I've made a few holsters and belts, they make a little more sense. He says they are not for beginners, and I agree.   

I'm still curious about the small piece of leather between the flap and the back of the holster.   

Thanks Bob, I do apprecaite all your efforts. JD   

Slowhand Bob

I will see if I can get a couple a more pictures of thet widgett.  It is strictly a tab that your belt passes under to keep the holster from rocking when the belt loop is way wider than the belt.  The two holes in the middle of the skirt piece serve to anchor it as well as perform a couple of other functions.  The holes could be used to hold the loop strap from Wills pattern set.

cowboy316

SB
just a quick question on this pattern i was wondering what pistols it would fit so i can label my template ???
     Cowboy316

Slowhand Bob

As a stiff unfitted holster it does well with the OMV or the SAA, after being worked with the gun of choice.  It could easily use a closely paced double stitch row an d still hndle the SAA size.  Try it first as most people who have tried mine liked the fit with my SAAs fine.

cowboy316

i guess im not that gun savy anymore im a little concused bout what a omv and saa pistols are if you could enlighten me id be greatfull
thanks pards
      Cowboy316

Ned Buckshot

Howdy Cowboy!

To answer your question OMV is Ruger Old Model Vaquero, slighly larger than a Colt SA. SAA Is generally thought of as Colt Single Action Army although now there are many clones of the colt that are about the same size. Hope this answers your question.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com