Looking for a kinfe to go with my CAS rig

Started by JD Alan, May 30, 2009, 08:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunClick Rick

I also got one from Atlanta,it's the indian dag double edge with beaded sheath.It arrived sharper than any knife i ever got and i mean SHARP! Take a look at the Daniel Boone replics made exactly like the one he carried that the family still owns.I have it also,it is light to carry.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=458012&pn=1
Bunch a ole scudders!

JD Alan

Hey Rick, thanks for the link. That particular knife is a little to Fancy for my needs. I think you ruined me though, when you posted the picture of the big one with the elk handle. I have to confess I like that look better than the two sided handles.

If I could find one like that, it would be way cool. Thanks! JD 

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Major 2

JD I sent you a email of my Bowie
and another that I made 
when planets align...do the deal !

JD Alan

Thanks WC, those links are quite helpful. Thanks to the responses here and the PM's sent, I'm getting an education on the basics of knifes. I've been talking with Ned Buckshot and Prof Marvel about this, and Rayban as well. I'm heading to a place today where I might be able to find a piece of deer or elk antler that would work as a handle, without haviing to split it in half. That would be my first choice.

I'm still not clear what metal would be the best for my application, and there are a lot to choose from. I like the look of Damascus blades, at least from the computer pictures. I'm not drawn to the bright, shinny blades that look like they've been chromed. I'm not looking for a "Working" knife, as much as a "Looking" knife, so it doesn't have to be able to cut a car in half, yet still shave with it afterwards.

I've found out quite a few Leatherworkers also are knife makers, which impresses the heck out of me. I'm just not that talented. 

I sure do appreciate everything shared so far, it's been a help. JD 

Jamie

man alive, just for a looker - that $38 Damascus from Crazy Crow with a solid antler -butt section would seem hard to beat.  I'm guessing at that price it isn't the best Damascus on the planet, but would grab the eye in and out of a nice sheath! Just my opinion, but with Father's day on the verge, I may start dropping some hints myself!
Jamie

cowboywc

Howdy JD
Crazy Crow also carries antler for handles.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

Oregon is a good place to pick up antlers, at least sometimes it is. I found a couple today I think would make good knife handles

GunClick Rick

My buddy has a ranch up below the big redwoods here.He goes up and looks for drops,his house is full of them.Found my first one last year,it's a real kick in the butt to find a drop.,Mine was right by a manzinita bush and looked like part of the limbs until my eyes focused in on it,my buddy was right behind me and i hollered~~~~~~~ANTLER!!!!!! :D

Bunch a ole scudders!

JD Alan

That's a great display Rick. Thanks for the picture. Last year we rode the Glide from Portland to Redding, then over to Eureka. We droped down below Rio Dell, to the Avenue of the Giants. Man, those Redwoods are big. Then we headed back north on 101, and hit the various Redwood spots until Cresent City, where we turned east towards Grants Pass, along the river. I've been to the Black Hills, but they don't have anything on the Redwoodd for riding.     

GunClick Rick

The trees and mountains is the only reason i don't leave Ca.My cousin just got a cabin up there and it's ike a second home to us.Hour and 1/2-2 and were there.I actually slept where the cabin was where Sontag and Evans has a gunfight with the local law.The law was as crooked as they were here then.Called Sampson flats.My last name is Son,shortened from Sontag and i married a Dalton.Well makes a good story anyway.But i did marry a Dalton and she's meaner than a she rattlesnake with a blister on her belly on a hot day ;D

Ok back to lookin fer a knife ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Marshal Will Wingam

Great links, pards. I love those trade knives. I may have to make one some day. Can't decide which size, though. Probably the 6" would be best all-around one.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dr. Bob

Been on vacation.  Crazy Crow also has finished knives.

I you want to look authentic, then the carbon steel blade is what you want.  Damascus blades are made of carbon steel.  If you want it to always look new, stainless is the way to go.  You might also want to go to eBay and search "bowie knife" which will get you lots of knives to look at.  Many don't bear any resemblance to a real bowie knife, but you will find some real nice ones too.

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

JD Alan

Thankls for that info Dr. Bob. I finally saw a knife yesterday that looks just like what I want. It's at what used to be Sportsmen's Wearhouse, recently bought by another outfit (Still no primers on the shelves!) Anyway, it's a Bowie, 8 inch blade, brass guard, with an elk antler handle. (not cut slabs on each side) They want $92.50 for it.

At this point I've been talkin with two Pards from the Forum, and I'd rather have one of them make me a knife. It would mean more to me, and a better story around the campfire!

Now I just have to finalize the details. I do appreciate all the great info you guys gave, I learned a lot from this thread.

Thank you all, JD 

Ned Buckshot

Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

JD Alan

No, 'cause it was way back in the case, and there wasn't anyone around to open the case. I kinda had to hunker down to even see it, but I can tell you it looked a lot like the one Rick posted a picture of. The guard stuck out on both side of the blade, like Ricks, but there was a bit of a curve to it, like a slight S. It was brass, but the handle was just like Ricks. The blade was a medium color, not black, like some in the case, but not quite as shiny as Ricks. It wasn't as big a blade either. I would estimate it at 7 to 8 inches.

Hope that helps Ned. I can probably get back there before too long to take a picture.

GunClick Rick

Your right about meanin somethin when a pard makes somethin,i wouldn't take a million dollars for the one Ned made me,now a dollar seven eighty maybe,but not a million ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Curley Cole

So, Ricky how about this amount???

just kiddin, Now I wouldn't sell off any of my Jacobs blades..

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com