Looking for a kinfe to go with my CAS rig

Started by JD Alan, May 30, 2009, 08:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Well, all these pictures of knives with cool sheaths has made me think about getting a pig sticker of my own to add to my rig. Bigger is better (to a point) Nothing is worse that a wimpy looking knife! (The second Croc-Dundee movie comes to mind!)

I don't have the $$$ to pay for a super quality blade, but then I don't want to buy one from Wal-Mart either. I doubt a custom knife is in my budget.

I'm thinking a single sharp side, like a Bowie would work. I just measured a wicked chef knife I use at home, and it seems I would need a handle close to five inches to fit my ham hand. Based on the blade I have, I would think a blade of about 10 inches or so should work out

I'm hoping someone here can direct me to a good source of reasonable knives like I am looking for. I don't want to just pick one out of an add or a catalog.

Then I'll be looking for help building a sheath, no doubt!

Thanks, JD 

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

St. George

One of the more common knives used on the Frontier was the simple butcher knife or skinning knife.

Seriously...

They were ubiquitous and useful in the extreme.

A Native American beaded rawhide scabbard's be appropriate and you could wrap the handle with rawhide as well.

A good flea market should yield a knife to your liking - just make certain it's carbon steel, and you're set.

You should review the knives on 'The Cutting Edge' forum, as well - there are some good ones there and tere are links to sutlers and makers as well.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Ned Buckshot

Got a nice one comming soon and won't be too expensive.

Sent you a PM.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Jamie

Another source of old knives at reasonable prices is found on the back page of "Backwoodsman" magazine, and usually includes several really old knives that reflect various unknown histories.  Options to make one your own would include grinding off the cutler rivets and replacing the grip panels with more interesting wood, and of course, an interesting sheath.  As has already been said, the fancy Bowie style (are they really?) blades that are so popular today were not used to any great extent back in the day.  Consider as well what a 10+ inch blade would be like in a sheath on your belt riding a bronc, sitting in a buckboard, or at a card table in a saloon sipping sarsparilla (in a dirty glass... ::))  From what I've read, lots of fellows went to the Civil war carrying large home-made blades, and soon left them behind as an extremely heavy hinderance and went to folders or smaller blades.  Still, I've got to admit there is something about a large Bowie that just, well, makes your beard grow. ;D  Don't overlook the bare blades that are available from all sorts of sources, Dixie Gun Works being one.  I put together a nice old timey knife from a big blade and slabs of curly maple, held together with epoxy (two part pine pitch as they say) and brass screws that I tightened everything down with and then filed flush with the grips.  Lots of options, and frankly, the sheath and the handle are the only parts 99 and 44/100's of the folks are going to see anyway.  They can imagine the finely curved double -edged blade of high carbon Shefield steel, while you enjoy the complete practicality of a handy butcher blade for everything from chopping vegetables, to slicing meat or even kindling for the fire!
Jamie

JD Alan

Thanks, Ned, for send me some pictures. I know so little about knives that l don't know the names of the various types of blades. 
(I do understand sharp however, so no need to warn me to be careful ;D)

I said "Bowie" because it's the only style I am familar with, and I knew I didn't want what I understand to be a "Dagger", sharp on both sides, going down to a point on the end.

I'm not a hunter, so I have no experience with skinning knives. I use to raise and butcher rabbits in the FFA (Eons ago) I just used a sharp kitchen knife and basically peeled the skin off.

Jamie, thanks for the "weight" reminder. These rigs, with two loaded guns are plenty heavy already, without adding a 5 pound blade!

St. George, thanks for your comments as well, I am getting an education, which is good!

I thought I would ask here first, since you guys are a knowledable, trustworthy group I've come to appreciate.

Thanks, JD   

RollingThunder

I have a smaller sized Kabar (5.5" blade). Picked it up pretty cheap, and it's a good knife for me so far.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

cowboywc

Howdy JD
Big 5 sporting goods has some Bowie knives by Winchester that are on sale all the time.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

Thanks WC. Good timing, since I was just about to head to my local Big 5 looking for an unrelated item. I will check them out. I heard they don't charge to look! I decided to check email and this site before heading out. JD

Slowhand Bob

JD, the knife in my Outlaw picture came from Atlanta Cutlery and they have several pages devoted to old west styles.  Many if not most come without the sheath, a plus fer the leather worker, and most are really big and priced right for the size.  Downsides, they are not made of stainless and will rust quickly without proper care and most of them are shipped (very) unsharpened.  Seems I saw somewhere that they are supposed to be stage knives???   http://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-143-knives-accessories.aspx

knucklehead

JD,
This may get you and me in trouble for what i am about to say(just a little humor). ;D

Since you are now making your own gunleather just like the cowboys did many moons ago, I sugest you make your own knife.

check out this website.

http://www.northcoastknives.com/     home page.

http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_Index.htm      index of all knives.

the knives are already made and all you have to do for these kits is just put a handle on em.
since you can make a good looking holster, you should be able to make a nice handle for one of these fine knives.
go to woodcraft over in tigard and find a very nice chunk of hardwood for a handle.
you can also try the wood store in the mall over in beaverton(thats the mall where hooters used to be at).
think the store is rockler.

all you need is basic wood cutting tools and a drill, some sandpaper. it would be nice to have a band saw but is not needed.
you will also need some good 2 part epoxy glue.
you can use the birch wood casey stock finishing materials to finish the wood handle.
i picked out the lion skinner. for about 30 bucks i will have a very nice knife to wear on my belt.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

JD Alan

Well, the Big 5 in my area had zero, zip, nada in the way of knives that would be anywhere near appropriate for a Cowboy rig IMO. Not a single Bowie type knife, in fact not much of a selection of knives of any kind. Bi-Mart (An Oregon discount store) has a much better selection in their sporting goods area.

Kuncklehead, I suppose making one is a possibility. Other than taking engines apart, (and putting them back together) I've not been all that handy with wood or metal. People who know me are shocked to discover I made my own holsters!

I found a local guy who can really put an edge on a blade. He sharpened my leather splititng machine blade after a friend tried to "Help me out" by "Sharpening" it. He's close by and very reasonable. He does it as a side line, being retired.

Thanks for the other references gentlemen, I will check them out. I appreciate it, JD

GunClick Rick

Big may be better,but not always badder.
The big one is the Elk Slayer,Elk grip with silver coin on top.
The Bad one is Moose Madness mad by non other Ned "the man" Buckshot.Made from moose antler.
Doc "lawdog" Disaster made the see through comanche sign of the lodge sheath for me from the movie Josie Wales
The moose is my absolute favorite knife,fits my hand very well,Ned did a superb job of it,i love that knife.
Doc did a fine job on the sheath also,we put our heads together and came up with that design.
if i had the dust i'd have something made by everybody that does it,something about nice handmade art.

I'll delete these pics in awhile so i don't take up space.
Bunch a ole scudders!

JD Alan

Thanks for the pics Rick. That big one is more or less what I'm thinking of. I love the handle. Ned sent me some pictures of his work. Really good looking. JD

Forty Rod

Take a look at River Junction Trade Co, Atlanta Cutlery, and Crazy Crow.

For something really special check out Linder Knives. They cost a little more (but not near as much as many) and are a great company with really nice products.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Curley Cole

For my good "go to meetin" knives I have 3 J. Jacobs knives. The first one (the middle one) I got about 22 years ago when he was first starting out. It  is a bit more "rustic" then the other two. I had RedDog Leather make sheaths for each one of them, as Jacobs wasn't very good in the leather area.

His stuff is pretty hard to find now, sometimes one will show up on ebuy...

good shootin (or stickin)

I agree with above, Crazy Crow, Smokey Mountain and Atlanta Cutlery have some good deals, in fact I hear Atlanta are having some close out deals right now
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

JD Alan

Thanks Forty Rod and Curley, I appreciate the info. Curley, that top knife is right up my alley, handle and all. Thanks for the great picture, JD

Professor Marvel

Greetings JD -
sent you a pm :-)
yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

JD Alan

I got it, Prof, and sent one back. Thanks. JD

JD Alan

I've received several PM's and e-mails regarding a knife, and I appreciate every one of them. I also appreciate posting all the names and websites of people with knifes or kits for sale. I've also looked at all of them.

The first picture Gunclick Rick posted is the closest to what I want of the knives I've seen so far. I really like the antler handle. I was looking at knives today at a restaurant supply, just to get a prospective on blade size. I think an 8 or 10 inch blade would work just fine for me. I don't think one much shorter than 8 inches would fill the bill. I don't know what kind of money it would take to buy one like Rick's, so that could be a factor. I have a pretty good size Elk rack in the shop (At least one side), and access to more. (Oregon has a lot of Elk)

As I've told several guys, I am going for looks over functionality here. The blade doesn't have to be able to fell an oak. I have several good quality, smaller knives for function needs. This one is just for looks with my CAS rig.

Many have offered to make a sheath as well, but that's something I want to do on my own.

So, as of Monday, June 1st, I'm still looking. God bless, and thank you very much! JD   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com