Accuracy of a original

Started by Four Eyes Henry, May 29, 2009, 03:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Four Eyes Henry

After 2 years I picked up my 1865 carbine and did this (forgot that it came off high)
There will be a Spencer sidematch at the German Open Championship CAS so I have to load some ammo for it.
Amazing is it not for a 140 year old gun at 50 meters.

DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Angel_Eyes

..........and you are going to tell us that the two holes at the top of the card are to hang it up with?  ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

AE ;D
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Four Eyes Henry

Yes, fortunately they are ;D.
I only had 11 cases left  :( and 1 shot was a total miss, so that leaves 10 shots and 10 holes.
There were a lot of thingy's at work ::), but now I can make some time and ammo to get the old guns going.
I am cutting down 20 Bell 50-70 cases for my 1865 rifle and carbine and those in the picture will be cut down a bit more
so they can be used for my 1860 carbine :D.
At the Philippsburg Star I want to score some (style) points.

To be continued
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

El Tigre

Quote from: Four Eyes Henry on May 31, 2009, 03:43:48 PM
Yes, fortunately they are ;D.
I only had 11 cases left  :( and 1 shot was a total miss, so that leaves 10 shots and 10 holes.
There were a lot of thingy's at work ::), but now I can make some time and ammo to get the old guns going.
I am cutting down 20 Bell 50-70 cases for my 1865 rifle and carbine and those in the picture will be cut down a bit more
so they can be used for my 1860 carbine :D.
At the Philippsburg Star I want to score some (style) points.

To be continued

Why you are cutting 50-70 ? 56-50 brass is available on the market.
Which bullet you are using ?

El Tigre

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: El Tigre on June 01, 2009, 12:35:01 AM
Why you are cutting 50-70 ? 56-50 brass is available on the market...

A lot of originals won't eject Starline brass as it's made to different specs than originals cases, i.e., smaller case head.  ;)

Four Eyes Henry

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 01, 2009, 02:19:57 AM
A lot of originals won't eject Starline brass as it's made to different specs than originals cases, i.e., smaller case head.  ;)

Like Fox Creek said, so I make my brass to fit the gun and then it WILL eject ;D.
The bullet I use is a Rapine 520375 as cast and panlubed of BHN 10 and with 28 grs of Swiss no. 2 it goes bang.

El Tigre, are you at the German Territory Roundup??
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

Herbert

i now youse starline brass in my original ,they need anailing then thet eject well worth trying a couple saves a lot of work

Bead Swinger

I wouldn't bother with Starline 56-50 for an original; but the Buffalo Arms 56-50 for originals (cut-down 50-70) should work great.  I had great performance from their 56-56 product made the same way.

If you have the brass and the tools, then make your own. When I did my own I had a tough time getting the case length consistent; I eventually resorted to a lathe. The odd part of making 50-70's into 56-56 was that I found that I needed to round the rim of the case to get them to eject consistently - It was wierd but I got fewer jams if I cornered both sides of the rim - both the front and the back. I suspect the longer 56-50 case wouldn't be as fickle, though.

Have a great time shooting!  ;D
1860 Rifle SN 23954

El Tigre

Quote from: Four Eyes Henry on June 01, 2009, 10:16:42 AM
Like Fox Creek said, so I make my brass to fit the gun and then it WILL eject ;D.
The bullet I use is a Rapine 520375 as cast and panlubed of BHN 10 and with 28 grs of Swiss no. 2 it goes bang.

El Tigre, are you at the German Territory Roundup??

Leider nein, meine Spencer soll diese Woche kommen. Die Hülsen und sonstiges Zubehör habe ich in den USA bestellt, was in den kommenden zwei Wochen eintreffen sollte.

El Tigre

Two Flints

El Tigre,

This is an "ENGLISH ONLY" Discussion Forum.  Some members may get offended if they can't read your comments ::) ::) ::)  Others, like me, are paranoid :P :P :P  You could always Email or PM another member in German ;) ;) ;)

Thank you,

BTW, your insignias are on the way!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

El Tigre

Quote from: Two Flints on June 03, 2009, 04:03:30 AM
El Tigre,

This is an "ENGLISH ONLY" Discussion Forum.  Some members may get offended if they can't read your comments ::) ::) ::)  Others, like me, are paranoid :P :P :P  You could always Email or PM another member in German ;) ;) ;)

Thank you,

BTW, your insignias are on the way!

Two Flints

Sorry,

you are right.

El Tigre ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com