cheapest way to get my hands on a 51navy conversion?

Started by lukewepy, May 28, 2009, 09:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukewepy

New to CAS and guns in general. have shot but never owned.
What would be the cheapest way for me to get a 51 conversion?
Man w/ No Name?
Cap n Ball 51 and then conversion cylinder and lined barrel?
51 in .44 instead of .36 and conversion, without the lined barrel?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

Abilene

Howdy Lukewepy,
Depends.  Does the conversion you seek need to have the rammer attached?  If so, I'd say the Man w/ no name -  would cost you that much to buy a cap'n'ball with a conversion cylinder and unlined barrel, shooting hollowbase slugs.  Or, about the same price for the un-authentic .44 version with conversion cylinder.  If you line the .36 barrel, you probably have more in it than the MWNN gun.  Also, the Uberti guns made for cartridges are a higher quality steel than the percussion guns. Here's the hitch, there is a large backorder waiting list for the MWNN both with and without the snake, so you may have to wait 6 months or a year or more, depending on Uberti production, unless you find one from a dealer who has one.

If the conversion does not need the rammer, then the '51 Richards-Mason is about the same price as the MWNN and they are much more plentiful, plus they have an ejector.  And you would be to perhaps find a used one since they have been out for 8 years or so.

lukewepy

Thanks for the info Abilene.
As far as loading lever is concerned, I would rather have that on the pistol.
Like the look of the gun with the lever.
Is there a way to install a loading lever on a richards mason conversion?
I believe Flint has something like that but it started as a cap n ball rather than a RM.
That would be the best of both worlds!

Abilene

The Richards-Mason barrel does not have the slot for the rammer, so you could not add one.  I mentioned in another post a few weeks ago that Cimarron has some MWNN barrels that were mismarked (marked .36, Black Powder Only like a percussion barrel).  I believe one of these could be installed on a Richards-Mason (or an Opentop of course, which would make a MWNN).  But buying the R-M or OT and then the barrel and rammer parts would end up costing even more than a MWNN.

lukewepy

So MWNN is the cheapest way to go then.
Will be calling Cimarron on my lunch break!!
Just have to keep my fingers crossed!

Abilene

I know there are no MWNN in stock right now, just a few that are waiting for the snakes to be installed in the grips and those have backorders.  If you want to be put on the backorder list, you will have to have your dealer call them and get on the list.  There is no obligation, when his turn on the list comes up, either 2 months or 20 months from now, he will get a call and ask if he still wants it.

Sometimes the MWNN shows up on Gunbroker or similar sites, you might keep an eye out there as well.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: lukewepy on May 29, 2009, 07:42:15 AM
Thanks for the info Abilene.
As far as loading lever is concerned, I would rather have that on the pistol.
Like the look of the gun with the lever.
Is there a way to install a loading lever on a richards mason conversion?
I believe Flint has something like that but it started as a cap n ball rather than a RM.
That would be the best of both worlds!

Lukewepy

It looks as though you have the "ejector assy" and the "rammer" or loading lever confused.

HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Four Eyed Floyd

I got a 51 conversion from Taylor's took about 4 weeks. Now the bad news the head space on those is very narrow and can only handle Winchester brass, everything else jams.  >:(
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Pettifogger

Quote from: Four Eyed Floyd on June 07, 2009, 07:59:22 PM
I got a 51 conversion from Taylor's took about 4 weeks. Now the bad news the head space on those is very narrow and can only handle Winchester brass, everything else jams.  >:(

Make sure the wedge isn't in to far.  Almost EVERY Uberti open top (cartridge and cap and ball) has a very poor arbor to barrel fit.  The wedge shouldn't affect headspace, but if its in there to tight it can tighten up the tolerances enough that the cylinder won't turn easily (or at all in some cases).

Four Eyed Floyd

Yep you are correct, I was told that here after I bought mine. It worked a little but still can only use Winchester brass.
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Pony Racer

FEF, I think that Crazy Emmit's kin up at the big Gunstore in Baton Rouge could fix that for you.

He smoothed my richard masons, they were good before him, but awesome after.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com