Alaskan 1876

Started by mountainmen1969, May 26, 2009, 10:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainmen1969

I am moving from Wyoming to Alaska-been working on my wife for years. I have a 1876 Uberti in 50-95 Winchester. The guns a shooter and I have used it to take deer. What does everyone think about it as a bear gun. I know poeple used it years ago but, we now have "better" guns. I was wanting to know some loads that you guys think would work for big bears. Any ideas????

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: mountainmen1969 on May 26, 2009, 10:40:57 PM
I am moving from Wyoming to Alaska-been working on my wife for years. I have a 1876 Uberti in 50-95 Winchester. The guns a shooter and I have used it to take deer. What does everyone think about it as a bear gun. I know poeple used it years ago but, we now have "better" guns. I was wanting to know some loads that you guys think would work for big bears. Any ideas????

Howdy, Mountainmen.

I lived 25 years in Alaska - all of it in the bush-, and can tell you that you will not regret the move!  As for the 50-95, I would say it will do just fine for black bear and moose up to 75 yards.  As for Brownies - forget about it, Pilgrim! :D   There is no load your going to put in an 1876 that will take down a Brown Bear unless you are just plain lucky.  If you plan on hunting Brownies, get the heaviest caliber you can shoot well!  In lever guns, I highly recommend the Winchester Model 71 in 450 Alaskan for close up and personal work in the bush.  In a bolt gun, the 375 H&H will do in a pinch!

Now I know an Eskimo elder that dead shot a 10.5 foot Brown Bear with a 30-30, but he was lucky, and made a neck shot on an unaware bear - his assessment, not mine! ;)

Where in Alaska are you going? :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Joe Lansing

You can use almost any gun to kill almost anything. The real questions are: how many shots (from a good marksman with good hits) and at what risk? Even the best marksman/hunter with the heaviest equipment can have a bad day, just as sure as the worst of us can have a good day. Hunting griz with a 50-95 is, to say the least, chalenging, but if you search, I'm sure you will find more than a few kills with rifles of similar ballistics. But that doesn't mean it's the thing to do either. There's a big difference between a clear shot on an unsuspecting bear and walking up between one and her cub in a thicket. Circumstances can dictate everything.
    To answer your question: develop a load using a hard cast bullet and smokeless powder. You don't want to obscure your vision with a cloud of smoke.

J.L.

Buck Stinson

One thing no one has mentioned here, is the fact that the original .50-95 ammunition loaded by Winchester and UMC, used the EXPRESS bullet.  This is not the same bullet cast from a modern mold or the solid hard cast bullets purchased from dealers.  The express slug as shown in the photo, has a large hole cast deep in the nose of the 300 grain bullet.  A copper expansion cup is then inserted in the hole, flush with the bullet nose.  This is not just simply a hollow point bullet.  When this slug hits hard tissue or bone, it will cause the bullet to nearly double in size.  Original bullets were 16 to 1 lead and tin.   Here in Montana, the .50 Express was a very popular caliber and it killed a lot of large game, including grizzly.  However, I would not use it if I were going to hunt an Alaskan Brown.

Adios,
Buck

James Hunt

I don't know squat about the 76 of its loads, but that was great information and a great image. Thanks!
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Dirty Brass

I agree - excellent photo and information. Thanks Buck!

evodude

Gosh dang it Buck, just when I was settlin down with my Lyman mould you got to show us a winchester mould with a BIG HOLE in the end of it! Wonder if I can machine a hole in the center of my mould and cast a few Express bullets of my own!! :o

Joe Lansing

I've got an old nickle plated IDEAL loading tool in 45-70 with the same kind of large hole in what otherwise appears to be a 300 gr. flat nose bullet. I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

J.L.

Joe Lansing

The 50 cal express bullet reminds me of something I used to do with the 330 gr Gould Express bullet I loaded in the 45-70. This 45 cal. bullet is a flat nose hollow point  which is often loaded in the 45-60 and 45-75.
    What I used to do was to put a little wax in the hollow point and seal it in with a .177 cal. steel air rifle shot. I'd seal it using my Lyman bullet sizer and luber. Just position the bullet in the sizer, place the steel shot on the hollow point and push down the handle. Be sure to use the plunger for a flat nose bullet. Pressed in this way, it won't come out.
    When fireing these into wood, they'd fully expand in half the penetration as without the steel shot. Oddly, when recovering the spent bullet, the steel shot was always found about an inch in front of the mushroomed bullet.
    I never tested these on game.

J.L.

evodude

Sounds like a 'primative' Ballistic Tip!!! ;D

h c ramrod

I was talkin to a hornady rep that ive know for a long time and he told me the new rubber tiped leverlution bullet has great balistic's and yah can by them for 45 cal / 458 . could probly be a good huntin round for the 1876.
just a though / i think i will see if i can get some to try..........
keep yur powder dry.

Leverluver

You will have to mow at least 1/8" off the case neck to get one to work.  Otherwise you will exceed the max OAL by a wide margin.  Talking 45-60 or 45-75 here.

h c ramrod

I was refering to the 45/60 dont realy know if i could use the leverlution bullet untill i looked at one
keep yur powder dry.

h c ramrod

YEP YOUR RIGHT LEVERLUVER
     I CHECKED AND THEY WILL BE WAY TO LONG OH WELL JUST A THOUGHT.
A SOFTER LEAD BULLET 300 GRN WILL BE GOOD ENOUGH ANY WAY.
TAKE CARE.......RAM
keep yur powder dry.

Joe Lansing

You can use the "leverlution" bullet in the '76 if you load it singley directly into the  chamber (like a single shot) and keep the regular loads in the magazine for back-up. This is what was proposed for the so called 45-90 special order load for the 45-75.

J.L.

evodude

The real magic of the 1876 for big brown bears is that 28" heavy barrel. After you have totally pissed the bear off by stinging him a few times, you can try to knock his teeth out with it before he has you for dinner! Just a thought...... ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com