Finished Hope Saddle

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, May 25, 2009, 02:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawa Creek Bill

Here is a couple of photos of my finished Hope saddle.....I've distressed the leather a little to give it a used look (that is the reenactor in me).

Only thing left to do is trim the fleece around the skirts, set the stirrup leathers and make the stirrups. As I apply more coats of Neetsfoot Oil it will get darker.

Hope (get the pun?) you like it.

Bill

Hope Saddle

With Apache Saddle Bags
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Dalton Masterson

Dang OCB! That looks great!!! Didnt seem to take you very long either!
I really like the distressing that you did. Looks nice.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

cowboywc

Howdy OCB
Very nice job. Great look to it.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

RollingThunder

So, just so's I have this right, that's arriving at my place via UPS or USPS?

LOL.

Looks brilliantly done, OCB. Just simply beautiful, and the Apache saddle bags look very much at home on the back of that saddle!

Well done!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

This saddle is really something, beautiful work Bill, thanks for the look see  ::) :o

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Bill.

Your Saddle is very impressive! A true work of art! Thank you for sharing your talents with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ottawa Creek Bill

Hey Johnny McCrae......

Are you going to make it to the NCOWS national shoot next month, so far from what I've heard there is going to be quite a turn out this year.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Marshal Will Wingam

Truly outstanding, Bill. I'm impressed with that one. Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dr. Bob

Howdy fellows,

Ask Bill about the new?? saddle tree that he is getting next week!  :o ;) ;D ::) ;D ;) ;D :o ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Skeeter Lewis

Beautiful work, Bill. I don't know saddle-styles, but that looks old-time. You seem to have made it pretty fast. Congratulations.

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Bill,

Yes sir, I'll be there. I'm looking forward to a great event again. Glad to hear that a good turnout is shaping up. Thank you for asking.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

will ghormley

Hey Ottawa, NICE KACK!  Just needs a couple hundred miles to give it that "broke in" look.  That's the fun part.

The tree looks pretty trim, not chunky like a lot of trees you find these days.  Did you mention where it came from?

Good work!
Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

JD Alan

Bill, that is one fine piece of work. I stared at the picture for some time, taking it all in. Like some others, I don't know much about saddles other that the traditional western saddle you see most places, but this is truly a functional work of art.

All of the guys on this forum who make saddles blow me away with their skills. It's great just to be able to see them in stages, and try to understand the work that goes into making one

Thanks for sharing your work, JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: will ghormley on May 26, 2009, 06:47:55 AM
Hey Ottawa, NICE KACK!  Just needs a couple hundred miles to give it that "broke in" look.  That's the fun part.

The tree looks pretty trim, not chunky like a lot of trees you find these days.  Did you mention where it came from?

Good work!
Will

Will......
Bowden Saddle Tree Co., They used to be the old Ritter Saddle Tree Co., They are down in Texas...they've been making trees for over a 150 years and still make them the old way...rawhide covered and rawhide laced. You can get their catalog online.

I tried to cover a tree with rawhide once....it took me about four tries before I got the hang of it.

If you all want to see some beautiful saddles....take a look at Will's saddles....works of art!

By the way Will....Great job on the 3:10 to Yuma and the Jesse James rigs.....looks like they should .

I'm heading south to central Texas in July to work on new western they are filming down there, I'll be there for ten days...taking both my saddles and tack with me. Gonna portray a Chiricahua on Horse Back (what else?).....This is the fourth time I've portrayed a Native American from a different tribe then my own.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: JD Alan on May 26, 2009, 07:50:48 AM
Bill, that is one fine piece of work. I stared at the picture for some time, taking it all in. Like some others, I don't know much about saddles other that the traditional western saddle you see most places, but this is truly a functional work of art.

All of the guys on this forum who make saddles blow me away with their skills. It's great just to be able to see them in stages, and try to understand the work that goes into making one

Thanks for sharing your work, JD 

JD....Thanks....

These are real comfortable to ride in....like sitting in your grandma's rockin chair.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

David Carrico

Nice saddle and nice bags!
DC

Major 2

There are 3 people , I have the greatest respect for in period saddlemaking...two I know personally& Reenacted with.

Doug Kidd (I've known 29 years)
David Carrico ( long time also ) and
Will Ghromley
All of which I had done Business with
They have made many saddles (as have I ) for films & reenactors....

If "two" of them tell you "you've done good" you can take that to the bank ...and me ?  I now have 4 people on my list above  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Major 2 on May 26, 2009, 03:43:21 PM
There are 3 people , I have the greatest respect for in period saddlemaking...two I know personally& Reenacted with.

Doug Kidd (I've known 29 years)
David Carrico ( long time also ) and
Will Ghromley
All of which I had done Business with
They have made many saddles (as have I ) for films & reenactors....

If "two" of them tell you "you've done good" you can take that to the bank ...and me ?  I now have 4 people on my list above  ;)

Major.....and I appreciate the compliments from all of you guys...... :) :)

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

will ghormley

Well Creek,

You'll have accomplished somethin' I probably never will get done.  You'll get to ride, (or have ridden), one of your own saddles in a movie.  Hats off to ya'!

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

RollingThunder

Well, shoot. All I gotta do is make a saddle to be a big movie star?

Too bad my old Meanea wouldn't count.

Hey Will, did I mention I picked up another project? A Sam Stagg rigged Montgomery Ward, Chicago, Ill. marked saddle.

I should have my head examined but good gravy they just look so cool!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com