So ... recommendations -- Slim Jim or Cattleman?

Started by RollingThunder, May 23, 2009, 07:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Dalton, Is the pair of holsters JJ? and the single a 49er? Those are very very nice holsters!

Bill, I like the way you went out side the box, very neat, and a early transition look, from the flap holster to the slim jim look with  a nicely done hold down flap!

Keep it coming Pards!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Slowhand Bob

Here is the Slim Jim based on Wills Cheyenne Pattern that I like so well.  The gun on top is a '51 Navy while the bottom is a Cimmaron '60 RM conversion style.  I did change out the Conversions Army grip for Navy size.  In addition to the above guns, this pair of holsters are also used for my long barrel '58 Remingtons and SAA Colt revolvers.

Marshal Will Wingam

Wow, pards. There are some great holsters showing here. I may have to make another pair. Darn nice stuff!

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

RollingThunder

Well, I started off by taking the measurements off of one of Will's sets, then drew up my own. I wanted it to look clean, and color match to the grips as close as I possibly could get them to.

Here's the final verdict. Mind you, this was rushed, rushed, rushed. So the stamping isn't as crisp as it should be, and the stitching is perdy awful. However, to Santee's delight, I did choose a piece of leather that was a bit beat up, and slicked the edge for a little wear. Hope ya'll like it! It's not great, but the Colt fits like a glove!

How do you make a long gun look longer? Picture it from this angle. Speaking of angles, instead of a stitch-together, or a toe-plug, I figured I'd leave the bottom open for when I shoot it, and it's still warm, it'll have ventilation to cool off.

And yes, I have a LOT of buffing left to do on this wax (Fiebings Leather Sheen aerosol wax). You can also see how I tried to hide the stitching in the crease lines with the scallop in between. I wasn't sure how this was gonna turn out when I did it, but I guess it looks ok. Well, as OK as can be for my hand-sewing.

Next one I do I'll take much more time on and do a much better job. This was taking a day off from other projects to try and get this done so I'll have a place to put my pistol while shooting, except for in it's soft case.

I wanna thank everyone, too, for all the great advice and great inspiration. I appreciate all you guys had to say about the Slim Jim. All in all, though it was nice to still have Will's pattern to have sizes for. :D
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

JD Alan

Bill, that is one fine looking holster-gun combo. I appreciate you sharing it

Dalton, you could quit what you do for a living and take pictures! (Unless you already do that). Your photography, like your leather work is always first rate!

This has been an interesting thred to read. Thanks for your question RT, I wish you the best of luck. With your saddle making skills, I'll bet making a holster is a, wait for it..................Cinch! I just embarassed myself with that one! JD 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboy316

RH
all i got to say is Excellent very nice
Cowboy316

Dr. Bob

RT,

That is one elegant holster.  Doesn't look like a hurry up job to me!  Well done Pard!! ;D :o ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Johnny McCrae

Howdy RT,
I certainly echo Dr. Bob's comments. That is one good looking and well designed Holster. Thank you for sharing it with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

RollingThunder

Oh my stars and garters. I love NOTHING if not a good pun or bad joke. That was priceless Parson!

C316, thanks a bunch, buddy!

Dr. Bob, it may not look like it, but if you look closely, you can see some uneven spacing in the stitching, and the stamping isn't as crisp as if I'd let it sit for a day or so, then oiled it and let it sit, then did the little bit of dye to help color it up, and let it sit, then finished it, buffed it, and let it sit.

And you get the rest.

Thanks for the comments, too, Johnny. Without all of your input, I don't know as I would have even figured out what it is that I wanted to do as a holster. Now for a gunbelt, but that's next weekend's project. I have chinks, chaps and a gunbelt alteration to complete. Oy. And vey!

Happy weekend everyone!

Dalton Masterson

RT, I think you did that little ol Colt proud. That looks pretty good!!! I dont think that a guy making one for his new gun out on the range, would have worried about a little uneven stitching, or light strikes with a mallet. Thats what gives each piece its own character.

Ace, all 3 of mine are the Jesse James pattern, the one is just shorter.
JD, thanks for the compliments on the photos. I am sure the neighbors are probably a little more than concerned whenever I have the camera out, considering what I take pics of.
DM

SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

River City John

I like it, RT. If your iron fits like a glove then the holster is doing what you need it to do. ;D

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

RollingThunder

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice work RT, Your off and running now

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

Howdy RT,  :)
Thats AWESOME!!! It looks perfect, you are as bad as me :o You are your worst to see your falts, and I see none!  You didn't let any grass grown under your feet on that one!

Thanks for Sharing!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Danny Bear Claw

Although I do have several Slim Jim rigs in my collection I actually prefer the Mexican Double Loop holsters.  There is just something about the clean lines of black powder revolvers that calls for a Slim Jim type holster though.
I mated up a cartridge converted Remington '58 with a Remington '75 and had a double Slim Jim rig made for them.
I also tote my Schofield in a Slim Jim.   ;)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

RollingThunder

I wasn't sure how I'd like the Slim Jim as far as how it hung and how easy it was to re-locate the barrel of the pistol after a round of shooting. However, I guess I got the drop close enough, because so far I haven't missed putting it back in the holster.

The neighbor wants his now. LOL. Oh well! He's paying for it, so I've got nothing to complain about. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com