Conversion w/out ejector rod?

Started by lukewepy, May 22, 2009, 08:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukewepy

How historically accurate are the conversions being made without the ejector rod assembly. I know cowpokes would send their cap n balls back to colt to have the conversion done but what about random gunsmiths doing it and not adding the ejector? Was this prevalent or did most people send them back to colt?

Pettifogger

Random gunsmiths did anything to get the job done, so anything is possible.  You seldom see conversions with the original loading lever because cowboys in the old days weren't trying to look like Clint Eastwood.  They either put on some kind of ejector mechanism or simply plugged the hole and removed the rod.

Pony Racer

That being said - if you shoot a pair of repros with and without the loading lever - there is a distinct difference in the balance of the gun.

I prefer leaving the loading levers on

I also prefer leaving the sights as BP sights (no dovetailed front sight) and have not had any issue with accuracy at cowboy ranges.

In fact my converted 1851s with the orig BP sights shot so well at the standard rifle target range, the first time I shot them, that I used them the very next day and shot the Va State match with them.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Leo Tanner

The rammer is nice for pullin the barrel when the gun is hot or dirty from soot.  And as Pony Racer said, it does have an effect on the balance.  I've read that it was fairly common for men ta push the cases out with a dowel if they didn't fall out on their own.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Marshal Will Wingam

In Adler's "Metallic Cartridge Conversions" there are ample photos of pistols without ejectors and the loading lever still on. Not all of them had loading gates either. There seems to have been a mix of every combination possible.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Leo Tanner

Good point Will.  The way the cylinder indexes, ya don't need a gate cause the cartriges can't fall out unless it's at half cock.  The gate is a nice saftey feature but I've seen em without too.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

lukewepy

What kind of price tag am I looking at if I had the conversion done? Is the sleeved barrel absolutely necessary?

Leo Tanner

Quote from: lukewepy on May 22, 2009, 04:20:47 PM
What kind of price tag am I looking at if I had the conversion done? Is the sleeved barrel absolutely necessary?

If ya wanna use standard ammo (36 ta 38 or 44 ta 45) then the sleeved barrel is in yer future.  Expect ta spend around 500 ta get it right.

Roland Deschain

River City John

Just to let you know, if you want to keep the flexibility of using it as both cartridge and cap 'n' ball, no need to go to the expense of sleeving the barrel.

http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/

Here's one manufacturer that makes heeled loads, plus offers cast heeled bullets for reloading, so you can shoot your converted irons period correct.

Another option is to load HBWC. Either way, the heeled or hollow base will expand to engage the .375 dia. rifling of most .36 cal arms when using them as cartridge conversions, yet can easily return to regular cap 'n' ball. (This is my preference.)

When it comes time to cast your own, hollow-base molds are available.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Flint

I put 72 ejector assemblies on my 1851 conversions, but the 1861 barrel shape didn't work for me with that ejector, and the screw would pass through the creeping lever gear.  So I left the 1861 barrel without an ejector.

A good ejector is an old fashoined door key with the flag removed.  Put it on a thong and tie it to your gunbelt.

I shoot Remington or Speer 148gr. hollow base wadcutters in 38 Special cases.  I found the Hornady HBWC to lead the bore more than the Speer or Remington.

This is a 51 barrel milled for the 72 ejector.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

lukewepy

RCJ,

How hard is it to get your hands on the cartridges necessary so as not to sleeve the barrel?

River City John

Quote from: lukewepy on May 22, 2009, 09:49:01 PM
RCJ,

How hard is it to get your hands on the cartridges necessary so as not to sleeve the barrel?

For heeled rounds, it's as easy as making an order with Gad's, paying for it, then sitting back and waiting for the delivery truck. Assuming they have them in current stock. Or you can order their heeled cast bullets if loading your own.

At one time, River Junction Trade offered hollow-based .38 short colt rounds for sale that will expand up to grip the rifling also. Their website is: www.riverjunction.com/catalog/guns/ammunition.html
Hollow-based wadcutters are available RIGHT NOW at most local gun suppliers, if you're loading your own. Some people seat them to the case rim, some, (like my lazy self) don't even bother to change the depth of their seating die. One tip, do not try to use HBWC rounds in your lever rifle as it will jamb up. ;D

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Flint

If you go by the letter of the SASS law, you have to seat the HBWC a bit out of the case mouth so you can see the lead.  I seat them about 1/16 above the case mouth.  That also makes it easier to see if the cartridge is loaded or empty.  A roundnose/conical bullet is too long for the cylinder in a 38 Special case, but will work in a 38 Colt.  I use the wadcutters in a 38 Sp. case.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Lone Oak

lukewepy-

Or, you can contact Bernie Rowles at  http://www.oldwestbulletmoulds.com/  and get set up with everything you need to cast and load your heeled bullets. I use his mould and crimping die for my .38 Colt and it works great.

Lone Oak

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com