Convert B94 44 Magnum to 38-40 WCF

Started by Dick Dastardly, May 18, 2009, 08:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Pards,

I have an "extra" Browning 92 44 Magnum.  I bought it just in case I had problems with my main match B92.  Never happened.

Now, I've found a nice 38-40 Colt that I'm going to be shooting.  I'm looking for another one.

To make the "set" complete, I'd like to have the "extra" B92 converted to 38-40.  I'd appreciate any input on this project.  I just happen to like Browning 92s, but they are not available in 38-40.

Thanks in advance.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Cuts Crooked

How much difference is there in the case heads?

No big deal to rebarrel, but changing a bolt face can get pricey.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Dick Dastardly

Sadly, they don't use the same shell holder.  That would tell me that the bolt face/ejector would have to be changed.  The rim of the 38-40 is the same as the rim of the 44-40.  Both are larger than the 44 Magnum.

The only reason I posted this here is because, for me, the 38-40 would be a black powder only SASS main match gun.  Maybe it belongs on the gunsmith page?

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

44caliberkid

If your rifle was 45 Colt I believe you would only need to rebarrel.  45 Colt, 44-40, and 38-40 all have nearly identicle case head diameters.   You may have to sell the Browning and buy a 38-40.   I'm sure any conversion is possible, but you may have a lot of $$$ tied up in it by the time you're done.   Maybe get an original '92 in 38WCF.

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: 44caliberkid on May 19, 2009, 05:47:03 PM
If your rifle was 45 Colt I believe you would only need to rebarrel.  45 Colt, 44-40, and 38-40 all have nearly identicle case head diameters.   

The reason I asked this is because some .45s can be converted without bolt face reworking.......some can't. The dimensions are pretty close and I've seen it done without the reworked bolt face, and I've seen it not work until the bolt was reworked. It's a hit or miss kinda deal. But with the .44 mag case head dimensions I was pretty sure it wouldn't work without a complete rework of the bolt face/ejector. It can be done, I'm sure, but is it worth the possible cost?

DD, I'd check with a smith and see what he thinks about the job/cost.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Dick;  I just checked my 92BLR.  A .44-40 case will slip under the extractor properly.  (Of course it won't chamber.)  I didn't have any inert dummys to try in the magazine.

Another issue is that I've read on these forums that a carbine barrel might not be that easy to reline.  You might be looking for a new barrel.  I haven't looked to see if original Win '92s are available in .38 WCF.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Hoof Hearted

Contact Nate Kiowa Jones aka: Steve Young

http://stevesgunz.com/

He'll answer all yer questions!

HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Dick Dastardly

I sent Nate an emule.  I'll report what he says.

Thanks,

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Dalton Masterson

DD, check the SASS wire. There is a Davidsons Win. 92 in 38-40 on there now.
http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126646

It might save you a whole lot of work.

Otherwise, cool project, and I want to do the same thing one of these days.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Paladin UK

I gotta tell ya`ll...........
I shot at a BWSS match in Kent, I stayed with a good pard of mine (Trapdoor) and to cut a looooong story short Me `n` Annie `O` didn't bring ANY smokepoles with us as another pard (Commodore Perry) said he would lend.
OK, cut to the bottom line.

His rifle which I used is an original Winnie in 38-40!!! and I have got to tell ya It is the Sweeeeeeetest rifle round!! stuffed to the gunnel's with the Holy Black it was a tack driver! and A total joy ta shoot!! Iffn I didn't lurv my #92 so much it would be my choice without a doubt!

DD................. ENJOY !!!!!!!!

Paladin (What lurvs the Holy Black  ;D ) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Dick Dastardly

I heard back from Nate already.  He got back to me rite quick.  If I try to save the original 44 Mag barrel the makeover would run around $600.  If I can find a B92 .357 Mag barrel it would run less.  Reason . . It's easier to drill and rifle than to turn a barrel liner down and install it.

Either way, the bolt is ok, but the gun would have to be re-timed for the 38-40 ammo.

So, I'm now looking for a replacement B92 .357 Magnum rifle barrel to bore and rifle. . .

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Dalton Masterson

Thats intersting info DD! Would a 45 colt bolt face work for the conversion, with a 357 barrel? Should be pretty much the same, right?
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

.38 Spl;    groove diameter   .358

.38 - 40     groove diametr    .401

:o :( :( :(

Dick Dastardly

The .357 Magnum would have to bored out and re-rifled.  That's cheaper than re-lining the 44 Mag barrel.  The .44 Mag barrel would have to be reamed, the liner would have to be reduced on the lathe and then it could be installed.  So, I'm lookin' for a B92 .357 barrel.

The 45 Colt and 44 Magnum both fit the same shell holders, so the bolt face is very close to the same.  That's the way I understand it.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

The BLR .357 barrel option occurred to me as well, but good luck unless there is one in the parts stream somewhere.  Are PUMA barrels threaded differently than the metric threads that the Japanese used on the BLR? I suppose that the other measurements would differ somewhat as well.

TomBullweed

I have used some original Winchester screws from Numrich Gunparts in my early 1990's Rossi with no problems.

I agree about the .38-40.  I have a heavily tuned Rossi in .357 and several original '92s.  The Rossi is slicker than the originals when empty, but we don't tend to shoot them in that condition.  When loaded, the originals are slicker than the Rossi even though that have not been slicked up.  The guns are simply made for the shouldered cartridges.
I regularily see original shooter-condition '92s for under $750.  Cherry's Fine Guns, Dixie Gunworks and Gunbroker are good sources.

fourfingersofdeath

Just a thought, but I saw where a guy here or maybe on cast boolits used 44mag brass run through a 44/40 sizer when he couldn't get any 44/40 brass some years ago. Says it works just fine and is still hunting with the 100 cases he did years ago.

Could you re barrell and chamber to 38/44 and save bolt face/extractor work? Like I said, just a thought, it may be a dumb thought, I have both kinds at times :(
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com