UPDATED LIST (12/02) Interesting Spencer Reading

Started by Two Flints, March 16, 2005, 06:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Flints

Hello SSS,

I thought I'd list a few books that contain information (text & photos)  about the Spencer.  If you have any additional suggestions of other books to list, I'd be interested in seeing them!

(1)   "Spencer Repeating Firearms,"  by Roy M. Marcot  (considered to be the Spencer bible)

(2)   "Lincoln's Choice,"  by J.O. Buckeridge  (interesting non-technical information about the Spencer; out
         of print; do a Google search to locate one)

(3)   "Arming & Equipping the United States Cavalry, 1865-1902,"  by Dusan P. Farrington  (not only has
         Spencer information, but S&W Schofield (my other favorite firearm!) info & photos)

(4)   "Carbines of the U.S. Cavalry, 1861-1905,"  by John D.  McAulay (statistics & photos of whch Union
          army/cavalry units used the Spencer)

(5)    "Civil War Breechloading Rifles," John D. McAulay  (review of firearms used during the Civil War)

(6)    "U.S. Civil War Carbines,"  by J.B. Whisker, L.W. Yantz, & D.D. Hartzler  (brief review of firearms
           used during Civil War)

(7)     "Notes on Cavalry Weapons of the American Civil War, 1861-1865  by Colonel Berkeley R. Lewis
           (brief review of firearms used during the Civil War)

(8)     "Spencer Repeating Rifle Company (1866) Manual,"  (reproduced copy of a Spencer manual
            originally printed in 1866);  available from Cornell Publications

(9)     "Seven Rounds Rimfire, The Spencer on the Frontier,"  by Wayne R. Austerman,  Man at Arms
           (magazine), March-April, 1985, pages 20-29.

(10)   "Lightning at Hoover's Gap,"  by Glenn W. Sunderland,  Wilder's Brigade in the Civil War

(11)    "Blue Lightning," by Richard A. Baumgartner,  Wilder's Mounted Infantry Brigade in the Battle of
            Chickamauga

(12)    "The Gun Report,"  at least fifteen articles on the Spencer Rifle, Carbine, and Shotgun, by various
             authors, the earliest article was written in 1960. 

(13)    "A History of the First Regiment of Massachusetts Cavalry Volunteers," by Benjamin W.
            Crowninshield  (brief discussion of Francis O. Lombard, first to fire a Spencer in the Civil
            War). 

(14)    "Grant's Cavalryman,"  by Edward G. Longacre,  The Life and Wars of General James H. Wilson.

(15)    "Hard Tack and Coffee,"  by John B. Billings,  shows 25th Corps, Wilson's Cavalry with Spencer
             insignia.

(16)    "Civil War Firearms:  Their Historical Background, Tactical Use and Modern Collecting and
            Shooting,"  by Joseph G. Bilby,  out of print,  chapter  text and photos of Union soldiers with
            Spencers.

(17)     "The Spencer Repeating Rifle at Gettysburg,"  by D. Alexander Watson,  Gettysburg Magazine: 
              Number 15,  pp. 24-31.

(18)     "Christopher Spencer's Horizontal Shot Tower," by Stephen F. Blanchard, The Black Powder Report,     
              September, 1985, pp. 34-37.

I'd be very interested in knowing the titles of any books that deal with the Spencer, and who, how, when, it was used during the Indian War Period out West, and also prior to 1900.  ???    ???   ???

Thanks for looking,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

william iorg

You may want to add Lincoln and the Tools of War by Robert V. Bruce.

I believe currently in print by the Univ. of Ill. Press.

There is a thread somwhere about cartridges detonating in the magazine.

There are two mentions of Hiram Berdan having a cartidge fire while he was working the action. This left him partialy blinded for several days. There is some indication that Lincol witnessed the incident which involvwed an early rifle.
Ther mentions of this incident areon pages 117 and 261.
Seldom Seen Slim

mtmarfield

Greetings!

"Guns& Ammo", Sept. 1976 has an interesting article about a CF Conversion: "Reviving The Spencer", by Leon W. Kania {If such things are possible on this Site, I'd be willing to scan/download as a file for viewing.}. It's an article worth looking for.

Be Well!

MTM
                      5-25-05

Two Flints

MTM,

By all means scan and send the  Guns & Ammo article to SSS, but set it up as your own "New Topic", in other words start it as a new thread.  I'd be very interested in reading it.

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

william iorg

I should have included L. D. Satterlee's 10 Old Gun Catalogs in the reading list. Printed in hardbound in
1940 and in paperback in 1962. While not truly rare this book can be called scarce, along with the
companion volume 14 Old Gun Catalogs. Try for an inter Library loan as you will get sticker shock
when looking on the used market. I bought my copies in 1958. 10 Old Gun Catalogs was $3.95 and
14 Old Gun Catalogs cost $3.95. This was a fair amount of money to a High School kid!
10 Old Gun Catalogs includes a Henry rifle catalog also. Both catalogs are filled with testimonials
on the rifles.
Seldom Seen Slim

Two Flints

Hello MTMarfield,

I have been trying to contact one of the editors of Guns  & Ammo Magazine for permission to reproduce the article by Leon Kania , "Reviving the Spencer," but have had no response to my Emails.  Even tried to buy a back issue of that particular magazine dated September, 1976, but also no response from them.  I would think there are no "reproduction rights" to be violated after 29 years....or am I wrong?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

mtmarfield

Greetings!

I think you used good judgement in attempting to contact G&A; it may be a good idea to continue, although it would seem innocuous enough to post it.
Your call.

Be Well!

MTM
                         6-15-05

mtmarfield

Greetings!

I must agree with William Iorg's suggestion; You Folks really should get a copy of "Ten Old Gun Catalogs" by L. D. Satterlee if you want to see a facsimile of Spencers catalogue { ...and many others!}. There's also his "Fourteen Old Gun Catalogs"; add it to your 'Buy List', too.
I would also hope that You Folks have the "Spencer Bible" itself: "Spencer Repeating firearms" by Roy M. Marcot. When You get done wiping the drool off of the seemingly endless parade of photos and graphics, You'll love the read, too!

Be Well!

MTM
                        6-16-05

Will Ketchum

Quote from: mtmarfield on May 26, 2005, 12:31:40 AM
   Greetings!

"Guns& Ammo", Sept. 1976 has an interesting article about a CF Conversion: "Reviving The Spencer", by Leon W. Kania {If such things are possible on this Site, I'd be willing to scan/download as a file for viewing.}. It's an article worth looking for.

Be Well!

MTM
                      5-25-05

After reading your post I decided to see if I could find the Sept 76 issue.  I had a collection of G&A going way back but a couple of years ago I through most of them out but rememberd I did have some in an old file cabinet.  As luck would have it I found the article.  Very intersting about converting a rimfire Spencer to center fire.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

mtmarfield

Greetings, Ketchum!
I believe that I found that article in the late 80's, and began looking for an "affordable" Spencer. Shortly after Romano started making his 1860's & 1865's, I sent him a handful of cash for his 1860 Carbine. Although I'm now saving my pennies for one of the new import Infantry Rifles to go with it, I think that it would be interesting to get an original chambered for the old No.56 heeled bullet cartridge... Just to have something new to load for!

Be Well!

M. T. Marfield

mtmarfield

Greetings!

I've just landed a copy of a fun little hardback entitled, "Hints to Riflemen", by H. W. S. Cleveland, 1864, Reprinted 1948 for the New Jersey Arms Collectors Club. This facsimile reprint contains chapters on rifle and projectile design, muzzleloaders, breechloaders, repeaters, combustible, metallic, and self-contained cartridges, and their merits. He also gives the Spencer a favourable review, as well as discussing the Colt's Revolving Rifle, the Merrill Breechloader, the Sharps, and others.
Most of the copies I saw on the book search were in the $50+ range, but I got mine for under $20 because someone had to draw their ranch brand on the inside of both covers, and liberally sprinkle his name throughout!
STILL... A good read; I recommend trying to get a copy.

Be Well!

M. T. Marfield
                                   12-21-05

william iorg

While the article does not contain any real information on the Spencer rifle the February 1964 issue of Shooting Times has a nice picture of a Spencer on the cover. I thought I would send it along.
Seldom Seen Slim

matt45

Hello the Camp

And Joseph Bilby's A Revolution In Arms

That was the one that actually kicked me in the posterior to get one ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com