Competition Schofield Holster

Started by Slowhand Bob, May 10, 2009, 01:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

I hope the picture works.  Someone, on another forum, was asking about a holster for his Schofield that would be competetive without breaking the bank.  I had recently received one of the short barl Schofields in trade and was in need of a holster so this seemed to be just the recipe for a quicky project this morning.  Using one of my existing patterns I came up with this idea.  As made this one has no cant but does kick the butt out well from the hip and the fit makes for a speedy draw.   

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice design Slowhand Bob, that Schofield looks right at home in this holster, Well Done Pard  ::) :o 8)

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

That'll work good, Bob. My cousin has a (Mernickle I think) rig with holsters much like that for his short barreled Schofields. He has a 20° rear cant on them so he wears double crossdraws, in essence. The bucket is much the same as yours and he says they work very well. Good design for competition.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Very nice work Bob. One of the guys I shoot with just brought out a pair of Schofields, and it was the first time I'd had a opportunity to get an up close look at this model. I've only been doing CAS a little over a year. I sill find it all interesting, including the leather.
Thanks again, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Heck, JD, I've been doing it for almost 10 years and I feel that way still. That's what makes it fun. Those who loose that level of interest seem to drop away.

Slowhand Bob

Thanks guys, as mentioned I just started with my basic California Slim Jim pattern, cut away everything that was extra and added a minimum skirt.  I seldom wet mold any more so it makes for a bit of softness on the 8/9oz weight single ply leather but it does have some natural  body to it.  Will, nothing has changed my opinion on the California Slim Jim though, it is my all time favorite cowboy style and era holster, with a beauty of line and grace that needs little or no garnishment.  I personally think that, like smokeless powder, these modern competition speed rigs are just a passing fad.

I have mentioned this before but think I will throw it in again, my first Schofield holster was made from a Ghormley pattern, the CHEYENNE PATTERN to be specific.  Somewhere over time with cutting and snipping, here and there, this is just another one of the great grand children of that original pattern.  Hold it up to an original Ghormly pattern and you can see the lines and where every change was made. Guys a good well fitting original pattern, whether purchased or of your own design, can grow with you for as long as you are willing to create from it and Will has some great ones to start with.  This is what really happened in the old west holster evolution, look to those old first pommel holsters and then follow the lineage through the Slim Jim, the Loop style, the Cheyenne, the jock strap and onward and betwixt, the lines are like footprints leading to everything we have today.   

outrider

Marshall...been doing the CAS thing for 17 years now....still going strong..but some of the things SASS has been doing..or at least allowing sometimes makes me wonder???
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Yeah, Outrider, those boys do some odd stuff. I just let 'em go ahead and do do 'em and just keep playing the game. I notice there's a whole lot less emphasis these days on some things and more on others but the shooting is still the same. Beep, go for it.

will ghormley

You know Bob, that's a good lookin' holster, and the beauty of patterns.  You can take 'em, add yourself to 'em and make 'em your own.  It is interesting to look back into history and watch the evolution of saddles, holsters, and even moccasin patterns.  You can actually track the migration of the tribes by thier moccasin styles and evolutions as they entered new territory.

It would be interesting to be able to look back on what we are doin' and makin' now, from the vantage point of someone in the distant furture studying history.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com