Will Ghormley Holsters for a Schofield

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, May 05, 2009, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Ace,

Color/Aging: I already had a lined cartridge belt, so he is trying to get the leather to look like the newish oiled leather of the belt .... and the holster is on my belt in the pic, so I think he has done a pretty good job.....

Will certainly does good work! And he is as patient and kind as they come ... as a newbie ordering holsters before I knew what I really wanted, he was patient to the point that if you looked up 'patient' in the dictionary I would not be surprised to see a picture of Will.....

Plus he knew what I basically wanted and knew what to ask when I didn't even know there was a question (much less and answer).

Will says he should have them in the mail by next week ... I have this idea about getting permission to have my pic taken at this bar in Old Sacramento that has an over 150 year old mahogany bar back ..... if I get this done I will put the pic in here ....

Tooting Horns; the average entrepeneur/ one man shop lasts about two or three years. Any time I run into someone that I want to do repeat business with, I will try to keep him in business by broadcasting his work. I men, I might want another holster in two or three years .... who knows, even a saddle!

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Capt. Texas Elliot

Hi Wadd , not to hijack your thread but I am also a fan of Charlie Prince and 3.10 to Yuma. Bought a custom made repro of his jacket last year and just payed for a Spencer carbine. At the moment I am using '75 Remingtons but would like to get a pair of Schofields.

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi Tex,

Welcome aboard! 

That's a very nice rig you have, and a gorgeous mount.....

And I have talked with several people who had big cap and balls like yours and were able to remold their holsters to a Schofield.

But if you REALLY want the feel, Will Ghormley is selling the original Flames of Hell holster and cartridge rig on his website; click on the Spring Sale on his website.

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Dr. Bob

Capt. T.E.,

Is the jacket basically a Confederate DB shell jacket?  Thanks!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

WaddWatsonEllis

I am learning to dislike this computer program ....

I have always said there is a very good reason why guns, ammo and computers are not stored in the same area....

I got three pics from Mr Ghormley yesterday and attempted to post them.

The program said that they were too big and repost with smaller images.

When I tried to repost, it told me that I had already posted the message and the program would not repost it.

So I resized the pics today; no go ... the program still says the photos are too large.

Tried to repost with just one pic ... the program tells me that I have already posted the message and will not repeat it.

So this is a brand new message and I am going to try to attach just one of the three pics....

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

Pic #3; Finished left holster.

NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Nice work Wadd, it looks great, and so does the belt. ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the pics, WW. It's always good to see a real pro at work.

As to photo sizing, I reduce mine to 640x480 or smaller and they work fine. The actual limit is some (unknown to me) number of bits but I haven't had a problem with that size or less.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

WaddWatsonEllis

Marshall,

Thanks for the input ... computers are far down on my skill level list; it is nice to know what I should be aiming for...

Ten Wolves,

The belt is a stock lined cartridge belt from Texas Jacks. It came 'way too big (and the is BIG; I wear a 42!), so a local leather shop cut the billets off and resewed them two inches each down the belt. So now it fits.

The belt came with a traditional square buckle and no loop for the tongue of the belt, so I had added a Gene Autry era D Buckle with matching tongue loop and tongue tip. It looks like a new custom belt now!

One of the magics that Will Ghormley has performed is to make the holsters look like they were made at the same time with the same leather and preparation ....

I am including a pic of the belt after the local leather shop made the changes.....

NCOWS #3403

cowboywc

Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

WaddWatsonEllis

WC,

Why thank you. It has been just kinda put together ... the buckles and such are standard Tandy Leather product, and the whole thing has just kinda come about.

But the problem is that this newbie is going to be expected to live up to the gear he is wearing and shooting ... and I will probably fall far short.....

But thank you for the kind complements ... if there is any plan on this coming together, it is from the Big Guy and not me ....

NCOWS #3403

Marshal Will Wingam

That looks good, WW. Nice that you were able to have it shortened so easily, too. You can be proud to wear that one.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Capt. Texas Elliot

Quote from: Dr. Bob on May 08, 2009, 12:15:24 AM
Capt. T.E.,

Is the jacket basically a Confederate DB shell jacket?  Thanks!!

Not sure. It kinda has that look, but is leather.

Boothill Bob

Corect me if i´m wrong... It seems that Will only have olil on his hölster... They are so nice,
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

WaddWatsonEllis

I have no idea what Will used on the holsters; I do know that:

1.) After a year, the leather is supple, strong and well made.

2.) Whatever finish that is used, you can bet what is there is based on centuries of tradition; kind of if it isn't broken, don't fix it!

BTW, I really like these holsters and Will's work. Should I ever get another rig, you can bet your cowboy boots it will be from Will!

Here are the finished holsters. The pic has Chuck Burrows name on it cause he did the work on the Bowie attached to it ...

NCOWS #3403

Boothill Bob

Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

WaddWatsonEllis

Why thank you ... but it is all Mr Ghormley and Mr Burrows work ... I anm just the repositor ... and if you saw my scores on the shoot we just had, not a very competant one at that ... *L*

NCOWS #3403

MontanaSlick

Welcome to the fire Wadd we like piks, thanks.

Will G....were all story tellers and yer name comes up every time.
I use yer patterns exclusively, one day I'll tell ya where most of them are. Top Secrete. ::)

Slick :)

Dr. Bob

MS,

Ya got em hid in yer long johns??  :o  ::)  ;D  ;D  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog