Will Ghormley Holsters for a Schofield

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, May 05, 2009, 07:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,
I was on the Frontier Iron website and someone there suggested that I start a thread on here for my holsters. Will Ghormley, who did all the leather for '3:10 to Yuma', is making me a pair of plain jane holsters for a pair of 7" Schofields based on the ones he made for the character Charley Price in the movie '3:10 to Yuma'

He just sent me pics of the beginning of the holsters, and I am putting them on this site.

He is also selling all the leather from '3:10 to Yuma'; here is the web address for the sale:

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/SpringSale.html
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Dalton Masterson

Good to see you here, Wadd! Welcome to the Leather Shop!

Nice to see pics anytime!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

outrider

Welcome aboard Wadd...You can't go wrong with Mr. Ghormley..top notch maker
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

WaddWatsonEllis

I just realized that I am painting myself into a corner!

I have the Scofields, have a great set of holsters coming ... got a Cap Coyote Shotgun and a Codymatic '73 on order.

I just realized that if I do crummy with all this on board, I have no excuse but 'operator error' .... LOL!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Dr. Bob

Wadd,

We're all in THAT boat!  Don't feel lonely! ;D ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Welcome to the forum Wadd, it's good to have you with us, and you can't go wrong with anything Will Ghormley has to offer.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

will ghormley

You make me blush.  Big fat liars, all of ya'.

will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: will ghormley on May 05, 2009, 10:23:55 PM
You make me blush.  Big fat liars, all of ya'.

will

Will Ghormley, I'm a man of my word, so be still, LOL  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :P ::) ;)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Welcome, Wadd. Good to see you on the forum. You're in good company here. Thanks for the photos and the link. I took a look and I see some nice stuff Will's made available.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

WaddWatsonEllis

I REALLY wanted that original Charley Prince rig from '3:10 to Yuma. But no amount of dieting would ever make even my waist a 36" circumference again, much less where one wears a pistol belt... Otherwise I think it would be the ultimate rig to wear under a black frock coat .... kinda like a preacher or gambler rig .... But the gunbelt I use is a Large with the billets adjusted to 42" ... so it just wasn't meant to be ....

NCOWS #3403

Slowhand Bob

42, 42, why you just a little fella there Wadd.  I now have to order elephant hides straight out of deepest darkest Africa every time I want to make myself a new belt!  Will is a class act, no doubt about that and I am probably one of his biggest fans when it comes to those patterns.  I keep saying I am going to dye a piece of thread red and do me one of those Prince holsters.  I have a pair of long Schofield holsters made from Wills Cheyenne Patterns and converted to Slim Jim style but as fate would have it I just acquired a short barl Schofield and it is in bad need of a new holster!!!  HMMM, wonder how well that stitch pattern can handle being two inches shorter?

WaddWatsonEllis

Taking this seriously, I would imagine that Will could do that ... the rose would stay the same, and all that would be lost is where the thread twirls around itself at the bottom .... here is his website:

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/

The 42 inches is much reduced .... as in about 50# .... one of the good results of a bad divorce .... *S*
(Forced to eat my own cooking.... *L*)

NCOWS #3403

Slowhand Bob

Been there and done that Wadd.  It came back with the next wife though and broke about forty ponds of new ground in the process.  I would bet that leaving out one set of the radii would work on that stitching pattern.

WaddWatsonEllis

I was talking with a friend about the divorce .... talking about the 'upsides ... one of them being that I NEVER would have allowed myself to join SASS. I would never have been able to justify the expense of starting out. But now, what the hell? The first time I need hospitalization they would take it anyway .... so I might as well shoot and have a ball while I can ...

Watching the movie and looking at the holsters made me think of Louis the the 16th of France. Just befpre the revolution that deposed him, he had a new coin struck with his profile. He was so demanding of accuracy that it came back to bite him..... legend has it that while in captivity, he was removed from captivity by loyal royalists ... he even made it to the border in the coach .... would have made it accross but he stuck his head out to see where he was and a peasant recognized the profile from the coin ... so he went back and eventually had his date with the guillotine.

If' it were me who was the gunslinger, who had to regularly go to town and interface with the locals, I can think of less identifying marks than a double crossdraw black studded holsters with red roses on them. Somehow, it just might give one away ... of course, there is the kind of personality that enjoys the risk; lives for that kind of risk .... and I would guess Charley Prince was one of them .... 

Funny, but I think he stole the movie from Christian Bale and Russel Crow anyway. I found myself thinking, in the parts where he was not in them, that whatever was going on was well and good .... probably necessary to the plot .... but where is Charley Prince?

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

While I was surfing, I found this site with a lot of out takes from the movie .... some of them edited and overdubbed with good rock....

NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

:D ;D ::) :o 8) Good Youtube, thanks Wadd

TW  ;) :D ;D

WaddWatsonEllis

You're more than welcome, Ten Wolves ... it is nice to be able to give something back every once in a while ... I feel like a sponge sometimes, sucking up everyone's knowledge and only once in a while giving something back....

NCOWS #3403

outrider

Wadd,

I don't think those are "red roses" on that holster.  I believe they are red flames..hence the name "the flames of hell" holster.  Check with Will Ghormley on this.  I made a copy of those holsters for my Vaqueros and mine are the flames.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

WaddWatsonEllis

Outrider,

I am sure you are right about the flames ... makes a lot more sense than a rosebud ... just an example that I should do my shooting now before my presbyopia (literally, old eyes) gets any worse.

But I think that the gist of my last post is still vaild .... wearing those holsters would have been equivallent today to driving a black Shelby Mustang with red flames on it .... it would be very hard to stop into a saloon or public place without being noticed ... and having someone send a runner for the local law so that they could get the reward money ..... great for a movie, but I don't think it could have worked in real life ...

NCOWS #3403

Ace Lungger

Wad,
Are you going to have Will aged them as they were in the movie and the pic's show on here?
If I was able to shoot, I think some of the rigs that i have made, would show wear mares!
I suppose that is a person thing!
I thank you for sharing those pic's and the story along with it!!
Will never TooT's his own Horn! And it is nice when someone does it for him! Because his work speaks for its self!
Later Ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com