How to; Adding concho??

Started by Slowhand Bob, May 04, 2009, 07:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

Someone on another site has posted the question, How do I add a screw back concho to the face of my existing holsters without risking the finish on my pistols?  This was pretty much it with no holster construction details or etc.  The early responces have pretty much been just add the concho and glue in a small leather patch over the inside screw head.  For many reasons I do not like this.

I have seen this done in this method before and the results have not been very good for any length of time.  When you pick out your spot for a centerpiece concho it is almost always going to be in the worst possible spot for cylinder edge wear.  A good glue job with proper surface preperation will be hard, if not impossible, to achieve on the inside of the holster and without it the patch will quickly get peeled back.  Without a bit of forethought the screw head bulge would also wear through fairly quickly.  My suggestion would be to prepare an attractive matching leather concho backing piece on which to attach the metal concho and then this could be glued to the surface of the holster with Gorilla glue.  This would allow the surfaces to be properly prepared for glue and the screw head could be replaced with a countersink version that would lay flatter.  For a really overkill approach one could even add a few stitches to tack it down for additional security BUT this type of blind sewing is a real pain!!!

My question is, are there other or better methods that this pard could use to upgrade his existing holsters?  I know nothing concerning his skill level with 'how to' and assume that this would be his real interest, saving money.  So, how would you add a concho to an existing holster front?

outrider

Bob,

Is this a holster with loops and a skirt or a slim jim style?  If it has loops (drop loop) the concho could be attached to the loop.  If not...I suggest he use slotted conchos (attached with a leather strap), or get a differant holster.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Slowhand Bob

Howdy Outrider, hope things are looking good for you on this beautiful morning.  The Lord has given us a really fine morning here in Charleston ut the local weatherman claims rain is on the way.  Oh well, I did forget to mention that he specified that the holster did not have a loop on which to attach the concho.  This might be an interesting idea to put forward to him, adding a loop strap across the holster.  If the holster is a skirted model it would look natural and probably wouldnt be that hard to retrofit.  I knew that I would get some interesting thoughts here.

RollingThunder

What he's likely worried about is that if he holsters the pistol, eventually the barrel hitting on the edge and peeling back the patch (like you mentioned).

There are two ways to cure this. Use a patch that runs the length of the holster, or skive the edges of a smaller  patch so that they sit in there flush, and use good (and I mean GOOOD) glue. I recommend a lightweight leather, 2-3 oz. and probably suede would be best, so it doesn't stick in the holster while drawing on a hot, humid day.

You're going to glue the pieces grain to grain, so apply a good coverage of glue to both sides, and let it get really tacky. While it is tacking up, you screw in your conch, making SURE it is where you want it. Use a dab of locktite in the threads of the concho, or finger nail polish. By that time, the leather should be good and tacky, and you can place the patch over the concho screw.

From there, you'll have a nice set of rubber-ended clamps to hold that in place good and snug while it completely dries and cures.

Don't skimp on the glue. Get the best you can find.

The other way to do this, is to add a concho with slots and blood-knot it.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Slowhand Bob

If my memory is correct the holsters are Desantis Doc Hollidays.  Best I can make out on the web site, they appear to be a fold over belt loop without skirt or holster loop.  Though not Slim Jims they have similar style uncovered fronts and do have a pronounced makers stamp, over which would be where I think he might wish the concho.  The pictures were small and my old eyes are not that good anymore but I think that Desantis holsters usually have a hard molded fit with liners and this appears to be the same.

RT, just a quick mention in homage to your recently posted pictures of the wrist cuffs, the word great  just doesnt seem to do them justice.  I for one would like to see more of your work posted.

RollingThunder

As I told JD, while I appreciate the compliment, did you see the cross-hatching and color on WC's? They were flat-out gorgeous.

Do you have a link to the post or a picture of the holsters?
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

St. George

Some time ago, I picked up a crossdraw holster made by 'Classic Old West Styles', and it was a very nicely-made piece.

The 'drawback' was that I didn't like the modern aspect of it's 'COWS' maker's stamp.

I decided it needed a concho - but the screw-back style wasn't something one saw during the era, and besides, the holster was already finished.

I got a nickelled, slotted concho and cut a leather backing and made two thin slots in the holster body for the rawhide lace.

A little later, 'wah-laa' - a holster whose appearance had changed dramatically and correctly - and with no incipient danger to the finish of the weapon.

You might try that...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Forty Rod

Quote from: St. George on May 05, 2009, 09:08:32 AM
Some time ago, I picked up a crossdraw holster made by 'Classic Old West Styles', and it was a very nicely-made piece.

The 'drawback' was that I didn't like the modern aspect of it's 'COWS' maker's stamp.

I decided it needed a concho - but the screw-back style wasn't something one saw during the era, and besides, the holster was already finished.

I got a nickelled, slotted concho and cut a leather backing and made two thin slots in the holster body for the rawhide lace.

A little later, 'wah-laa' - a holster whose appearance had changed dramatically and correctly - and with no incipient danger to the finish of the weapon.

You might try that...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

You can do about the same thing with a solid-faced loop-back concho.  Just bring the lace through from inside the holster, run the ends through the loop from both sides, pull it snug and tie it off.  Cut the ends off as short as you can and tuck them under the edge of the concho.

I've used this on mule ear boot straps, holsters, scabbards, and knife sheaths, even for coat buttons.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com