New '71 Uberti

Started by Marshal Sam Holland, May 03, 2009, 01:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Sam Holland

I just purchased a new Stooger Uberti 1871 Richards-Mason in 38 caliber. I love the looks of it...any hints on keeping it shooting good, in SASS matches??? I have been shooting Stampede Deluxes, and one has developed a little problem, and I was going to buy a back up gun, and the Richard Mason caught my eye...
Mississippi River Rangers
Plum Point Posse
Bold(retired law dawg)

Abilene

Howdy Marshall, congrats on your new shooting iron.

I'm not positive what you have, since you called it an 1871 Richards-Mason.  I know Taylors and perhaps Stoeger name some of these differently than Cimarron, which can be confusing.  If it has the rear sight on the rear of the barrel, then it is more often called an 1871/72 Opentop (looks a lot like the conversions, but is not actually a conversion, Colt made these to shoot cartridges from the get-go just before they came out with the Peacemaker).  If it has the rear sight on the hammer and an octagonal barrel, it is most often called an 1851 Richards-Mason conversion (and 1871 is about the time that they were being converted, hence the name confusion).  And if has the rear sight on the hammer and a round barrel and the larger army grip, then it is an 1860 Richards-Mason (in real life, no 1860's were converted to .38 but Uberti does make them).

Both the Opentop and the Richards-Mason conversions can have a problem with piercing primers because the firing pins are long and sharp.  They can be carefully stoned down a bit shorter if needed, and this is often all they need.  A lighter mainspring can also help with this problem, as well as make your gun feel much better.  The Opentop firing pins sometimes have a tendency to bend.  There is a replacement made by The Smith Shop that a lot of people use to fix that.  The Richards-Mason firing pin does not have that problem.

Some will tell you that these guns are best for shooting duelist or gunfighter, and the cylinder has a tendency to over-rotate if you cock it fast with a two-handed hold.  But if the timing is set right, I've seen these guns work just fine with fast cocking.

Just be sure that you don't drive the wedge in too far which can bind things up, and go shoot it and enjoy!  And start saving your pennies, because you will probably want another  ;D

Major 2

Abilene, won't steer wrong.... :) 

I believe the issue with piercing primers is history on later guns , Uberti has addressed the issue in [CC] & [CD] date coded guns (late 08 & 09)

A correct set of Colt Gunsmithing screwdrivers will save you grief ( Cylinder & Slide makes a set of 3 hollow ground drivers perfect for the Uberti's )

Lastly, I sent my R&M to Longhunter  .... his tune & spring magic will make you proud.
I also have high regard for Happy Trails @ The Smith Shop.

Welcome , to the Storm BB ... we all converted here  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Marshal Sam Holland

Thanks yall, the box says 1871 R-M, but it's actually a 1860 Army R-M conversion. I will agree, the mainspring is a bit hard...
and I do shoot duelist, so the overcocking shouldn't be a problem..
Mississippi River Rangers
Plum Point Posse
Bold(retired law dawg)

Four Eyed Floyd

This is supposed to be a 1851 RM but says 1871 and 1872.

Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Galloway

How funny, I knew that would confuse people as soon as Cimarron brought them out. Dont feel bad its 130 year old joke Colts making! :D

Four Eyed Floyd

Thanks Pards I don't feel so silly now!  ;D
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com