Wedge screw

Started by Razorback Joe, May 02, 2009, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback Joe

:'(Hi Pards

I just got my new 1860 R/M Army on Friday P.M. and I thought it might be a good idea to clean the barrel before I got to shoot the pistol but the wedge screw was on SOOOOO tight the head broke off :'( so I send it back to Cimarron to have it removed and install a another screw :'(

I'm just wondering what the turn-a-round would be?

>:(What make me mad though is the shipping cost me $79.80 >:(

Razorback Joe >:(

Razorback Joe

OOPS    I also wants to know has any of the cowbays had the same troblem?

RbJ

Major 2

$79.80 ?   :o  Next day Air ?

No... to the problem though
when planets align...do the deal !

Dirty Brass

I've seen some slots get buggered up, but never saw one that broke the head off....

jake1964

Same gun. Same problem.

I didn't send it back though.

I drilled it out and chased the threads with a tap and installed a new screw.

Took less than an hour. But it sucks to have to repair a brand new gun.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"  Sigmund Freud

Angel_Eyes

Begs the question, why you would want to remove the wedge from the barrel assy completely ???
The whole idea of that screw is to retain the wedge so it doesn't get lost. ::)
I've never had to remove a wedge for normal servicing and cleaning, but each to their own. :-\
I commiserate with you on having to repair a brand new gun, and as for the shipping charge,,,,words fail me :-X
I would recommend that you find yourself a local, friendly engineer, for those occasions. ;D

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Abilene

Angel Eyes, his gun is a Richards-Mason conversion.  The wedge screw has a flat on one side of the head, and the screw must be turned just a bit so the flat is lined up with the wedge in order to tap the wedge out on that style.  So he wasn't trying to remove the screw, just turn it enough to back out the wedge.

As for the shipping, I agree with everyone else.  I question if that was the price at the shipping depot or at a shipping "store'.

But lastly, I'd say that since the screw head is now gone, the wedge can come out and the barrel can be removed.  The barrel could have been shipped back to Cimarron by itself, which means it would have been much cheaper and could even have been sent ground instead of overnight.  MUCH cheaper.  The barrel has the serial number on it so there is no doubt that the part is in warranty.

Grouchy Spike

Sometimes Uberti has a worker on the  assembly line who must be heavy-handed, because I had to 'beat' one new Open Top apart to separate the barrel from the frame.  And the wedge was driven in so hard that the barrel-cylinder gap was almost non-existent.

Or that pistol had most of the tolerances headed one way and it was just 'tight'.  Some polishing fixed that problem.

Major 2

Gardone's answer to "Joe the Plummer"

Joseppi the Gorilla   ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Razorback Joe

Hi fellow 1860 R/M shoots

I want to kill myself >:(   I should have a POWWOW with fellow 1860 R/M shooter before taking action. 
I could have saved the Over-nite UPS charge and bought the screw extractor and done the work myself.

Thanks for the educational reply.  I learned a lesson!

Razorback Joe

Razorback Joe

Hi Pards

Finally I got my 5 1/2" R/M .45 S/w schofield back from Cimarron FCI !   Today I'm going to the range and shoot it ;D
One thing I noticed was that the cylinder of the 5 1/2'er is about 1/4" longer than the earlier model .45 S/W  :o  Any of you cowboys noticed this?  I'm sure it won't effect anythig but just wondering ???

Razorback Joe

Matt Bastardson

Wow, it took over two months for them to get the gun back to you for a buggered screw????  Two weeks I can see.  Two months should be a crime.

They should have sent you a hat, t-shirt, hard-bound coffee table catalog, a free gift, and nickel plated your revolver for free for having to wait that long :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com