45 Cowboy

Started by fourfingersofdeath, May 01, 2009, 07:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fourfingersofdeath

G;Day,

I posted this in the Ruger section, but thinking about it I should have posted it here:

I have a pair of 45 Ruger Blackhawk Convertibles (45 Colt and 45ACP cylinders). I like the guns, but the 45ACP doesn't seem to work properly unless they are really screaming along, then it is impressive. As I can't use the rimless ACP cylinders in cowboy and don't really have much use for them, will the 45 Cowboy reamer clean up the ACP cylinders? Just a thought.

MIck.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Pettifogger

No.  The .45 Cowboy Special is the same length as the .45 ACP.  The only difference is the rim.  Just use your .45 Cowboys in the .45 Colt cylinder and they will work fine.

Dirty Brass

Why wouldn't that work? Wouldn't the rimmed cases be OK with the shield clearance? I'd think the reamer would open the cyclinders to .452 or so for the bigger bullet. Just curious myself......

Pettifogger

Well, for one thing no one that I know of makes a .45 Cowboy reamer.  The whole purpose is to be able to use it in a regular .45 Colt chamber so there is no need for a reamer.  The brass should also work in the .45 ACP cylinder, same OAL as .45 ACP.  Depending on the cylinder to frame fit, it would still go in up to the case neck and headspace like a .45 ACP or it would bottom out on the rim if the cylinder is fitted so that it has the same gap at the rear as a regular Ruger .45 Colt cylinder.  Either way it should work as is.  No need for reaming.

Also, all modern .45s use .452 barrels and bullets, so I am not sure what you mean by "opening up" for the bigger bullet.  The bullets are the same.

Dirty Brass

Well, what I was referring to is the front of the cylinder holes (cartridge). I don't know if the 45 ACP cartridge holes are reamed for .430 bullets or .452 bullets. I don't pretend to know - that's why I was asking. If they are, then a 45 Colt reamer would open them up (again, if needed) The only thing I saw as a possible problem would be the gap between the cyclinder and the shield. I dunno - am I saying this right? ACP cylinder holes smaller than 45 Colt cylinder holes at the front section? I know the ACP round doesn't fill the barrel grooves and accuracy suffers. I just surmised the actual 45 ACP cylinder holes were smaller than the 45 Colt cylinder holes, which would then require "opening them up" to .452.

I saw the purpose as to be able to shoot lighter loads in the 45 Colt without worrying about fillers. I think the whole point of this question was, he wanted to use the ACP cyclinders for the 45 Cowboy cartridge. Not withstanding, of course, the 45 Colt cylinders would work fine. 

I'm gonna stop before I get totally confused. Sorry if I confused you in the process too. I didn't mean to.  If I had one here I'd just look at both cylinders, check the shield gap, and know the answer.  ;)

Pettifogger

.430 is a .44 caliber.  .452 is a .45.  Reaming is not going to convert a .44 to a .45.  .45 ACP and modern .45 Colt's both use .452 barrels.  The only real difference between the .45 ACP and the .45 Cowboy is one is designed to headspace on the case mouth and one is designed to headspace on the rim.  Other than the rim, they are the same.

Dirty Brass

Bingo! Light just went on here! Don't know why I had it in my head .430 - you are right, they both use .451/.452 bullets. I stand corrected sir.

So, if the cases are interchangeable in the 45 ACP cylinder, the only real hangup might be the rim thickness vs. the shield gap.

Thanks for bearing with me and being patient. Guess I loaded too many 44 WCF's lately, and had that number in my head.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com