If anyone has time, I need someone to post a Arm Cuff

Started by Ace Lungger, April 30, 2009, 08:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
I am in hopes that someone has the time to post some nice pictures of a tall arm cuff, front and back! I want to try my hand at making a paiy and I don't have any patterns, I pretty sure I can make a pattern but I am not sure how to do the back I made a pair long time ago, and they were full lace up on the back, and I have seen some somewhere, and I know that isn't the proper way to make them!
i would be deep, great full for any help!
Thanks
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Howdy Pal
Here a pix. These were from Will G pattern.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Tac

Ace, not sure if I can get these links to post, but they might help.... If clicking on them doesn't work, try copy and paste them to your browser.

http://eightbits.home.att.net/Crafting1_web_cuff.PDF

http://eightbits.home.att.net/cuffsnap.GIF

-Tac

-Marshal Tac
"Well Mayor, I think we did our good deed for the day."
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Ace Lungger

Thanks Fella's,
WC & MT, I thank both of you so much!! :) :) I love this Place!! :) I couldn't take, so i went over to my friend David Carrico's and had a nice vist and I look at a pair of cuff so I am in the came.
David is such a nice guy, he has been working on another movie (HOW COOL) is that?? he made lots of leather goods for this movie, and he is in these movie! That shows you how dumb I am!!
To me this leatherwork is so much more than a hobby, I have made friends all over, and even though I still can't do much, I feel I have a life again!!
Thanks to All You Pards!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Ace Lungger

Thanks Sir Charles,
I had been there before, they do offer a lot of free info for us newbies! Between evryone help, and  seeing a pair in person, at David's I came home and looked everything over and made me a pattern! Had every intentions of making them today, up when I woke up at 6AM 53 degrees and 93% Humidity, you can quest where I have been almost all day! Crazy weather!!!
Thanks Everyone
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

I can't recall the accepted date for dome-snaps, but it is fairly late.  Will Ghormley has a pattern for a buckled strap run through slots for an earlier impression.  You NCOWS members would have seen it in a SHOOTIST a coupla years back.

RollingThunder

Ghormley Buffalo Humps with a three-piece billet setup (one leather and one continuous piece of suede lace, held in by the main leather billet). Tucson lace stamping design.

Same Buffalo Hump pattern, but with spots to center the billet.

This shows you the flat outline, so you can see where I placed the slots for the billet.

And as you can see, they're that close because these buckle at the top of the wrist, and not on the ulnar nerve. To buckle at the ulnar nerve, you move the slots in towards the center more.

Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

What little I know about leather work started with Will's articles in the SHOOTIST.

This is really fine artistry!

RollingThunder

No argument there. Will has some brilliant stuff!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy All

;D RT, you're a hard act to follow with these cuffs, as I have said before, beautiful work pard, I never get tired of looking at them. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

Howdy RT,
THose are AWESOME!!! :o :o Of course I havn't seen anything, you have done that isn't AWESOME!!! I got to get that pattern!!  I have several of Will's patterns, that I bought at Tandy when on sale, when you don't sell but 3-4 peices a year, it's hard to spend what little extra cash on patterns! Like I said, I have several of W.G. patterns, but havn't use any of them yet! I have made all my own.
RT, thank you so much for posting those pic's!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

JD Alan

All the cuffs shown here are without a doubt outstanding works of art, but I've never seen anyone actually wear them. Granted, my experience is pretty narrow, but they don't look very comfortable to wear. Anyone actually wear them? How does it effect you shooting ability? Curious minds want to know! (Well maybe just nosey people want to know) JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: JD Alan on May 02, 2009, 10:02:51 AM
All the cuffs shown here are without a doubt outstanding works of art, but I've never seen anyone actually wear them. Granted, my experience is pretty narrow, but they don't look very comfortable to wear. Anyone actually wear them? How does it effect you shooting ability? Curious minds want to know! (Well maybe just nosey people want to know) JD

JD, I can see you are feeling better, you're getting nosey again, good for you, you'll be back to normal in no time Pard.

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

They don't look all that comfortable to me, either, JD. I do see shooters wearing them quite a bit so they must not be a problem. I expect that with a good smooth lining they would be fine. Maybe I'll make a pair one of these days and find out.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

RollingThunder

I wear the Tuscon lace ones, personally. The darker set were made of 13 oz. skirting leather, and needed a larger buckle, which was more likely to hang up on a shirt, belt, what have you, while drawing, hence the buckle on the top of the wrist.

Bear in mind, guys, you're not Conan. You're not wearing these bare-armed. You have a shirt on underneath them. And while linings are fine, the more firm grain side of the leather allows the cuff to grip your sleeve, and helps out the buffalo hump styling to keep it from turning.

Oh.

And I have used mine while riding, and swinging a rope, and they feel fine to the wrist. All the same, though, to each his own. I have bony wrists, so maybe someone with a bigger wrist would feel it more. But at that point, I'd have to say the cuff probably doesn't fit as well as it should.

Just a thought.  :)

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks fror the information, RT. You explained a lot. :D

RollingThunder

Sorry if that took the long way around the barn, Marshal.

So does that mean you're gonna add some cuffs to your attire? LOL.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: RollingThunder on May 02, 2009, 08:56:18 PMSo does that mean you're gonna add some cuffs to your attire? LOL.
It's more an excuse to make something different out of leather. ;D

Dr. Bob

Marshal Will,

Since when have you NEEDED an excuse to make more leather for yourself??  ??? ::)  ;D  ;D  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com