Laramie front sight

Started by Irish Dave, April 26, 2009, 05:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Dave

Got tired of not being able to see that nickeled (or SS) front sight and decided to swap it out.
Thought I'd share a couple of pix of the finished product.
1889 Indian Head penny:
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Dr. Bob

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Trailrider

Very nice! Did you have much problem getting the old one out?  My Laramie shoots 8-inches high at 25 yds, and since I can't get a lower rear sight without a lot of work, so the answer is to raise the front sight!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Irish Dave

Trailrider:

Yeah, it was a b**ch, actually. Problem is that Uberti apparently pins the sight then dresses the whole thing down flush with the barrel. Had to eventually drill out the pin -- very carefully -- on a precision drill press a my buddy's machine shop.

Once drilled out, the sight popped out quite easily and it was simple matter to shape and drill the penny and then to replace the pin with one that's a bit proud of the barrel (like the originals).

Hard part is getting the old pin out. The rest is pretty simple and straightforward.

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Trailrider

Quote from: Irish Dave on April 28, 2009, 09:08:09 PM

Trailrider:

Yeah, it was a b**ch, actually. Problem is that Uberti apparently pins the sight then dresses the whole thing down flush with the barrel. Had to eventually drill out the pin -- very carefully -- on a precision drill press a my buddy's machine shop.

Once drilled out, the sight popped out quite easily and it was simple matter to shape and drill the penny and then to replace the pin with one that's a bit proud of the barrel (like the originals).

Hard part is getting the old pin out. The rest is pretty simple and straightforward.

Thanks, Pard! I guess I wasn't aware that the front blade was pinned, it is polished down so well. Have to locate the pin first, I guess. Well, maybe when I get some spare time, and the weather gets better, along with my back...
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Irish Dave

Absolutely, pard. Locating the pin is one of the hardest parts. Well, that and then getting the exact size drill perfectly centered on a pin whose edges you can barely see.

On the other hand, if I can manage it, others certainly can, too.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Jamie

hmmm, I've heard the old expression - "A penny for your thoughts" but "A penny for your sights?"  as I said, hmmm....
Jamiejavascript:void(0);

Irish Dave

NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com