curly Maple

Started by cowboy316, April 22, 2009, 07:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy316

hey pards someone one here said that they had some curly maple i was wondering how much you would let some go for let me know  im thinking bout using it for my round knife handel and maybe change out some knife handels
so help a pard out  LOL
      Cowboy316

ChuckBurrows

Dunlaps Woodcraft
14600F Flint Lee Rd
Chantilly, VA  20151
dunlapwdcrafts@aol.com   
Tel. (703) 631.5147   

Give those folks a call and tell them what you want it for - they usually have boxes of scrap that is big enough for handles and the cost is VERY reasonable - or you can buy a plank from them if you prefer......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

ChuckBurrows

BTW - vinegaroon is one of the two best stains for curly maple. Follow up with Tried & True Oil's Linseed oil based varnish and the curl will pop like crazy........
aka Nolan Sackett

cowboy316

Chuck
thank you very much for the info ill have to give that a try and see what it looks like
would vinegaroon work for other woods too ive got some oak and some black walnut
just curious
   thanks again Chuck
       Cowboy316

ChuckBurrows

It will generally turn the oak and walnut to almost black.........
aka Nolan Sackett

Marshal Will Wingam

I tried it on a piece of that yellow wood I used on my knife handle and it turned a nice grey. The subtle changes in the grain are really pronounced. I've been looking for a good way to darken grips and such. This is a great way to accomplish that. If it turns walnut almost black, that's a look I've tried for many times and without success. Now I can do it. Thanks, Chuck.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboy316

i guess what i should have asked is does anyone have any little junks of curly maple that they would let go  for a handle
sorry if i worded it wrong in my first post LOL\
Cowboy316

Gun Butcher

Cowboy, I sent a piece to Hank and I will be happy to send you one as soon as I get home. The only hitch is I won't be home again until sometime around the middle of May if you can wait that long. Let me know.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Wild Billy Potts

Cowboy316, about how big do you need? I have some grade 3 maple laying around. Let me see exactly what I got.

cowboy316

was just need small chunks for knife handles and things like that nothing to big
Cowboy316

Wild Billy Potts

Cowboy, I gotta piece of grade 3 maple that is roughly 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 5 1/4. Will this fill your need? If so send me your address and I'll send it out later this week. The other scraps from this stock blank that I've stained with vinegaroon and then overstaind with LMF Lancaster maple stain show lots of curl. You should see the grade 4 I've got, it'll make your eyes pop, sorry but that is all planned for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com