GOEX Powder

Started by Dr. Bob, April 21, 2009, 12:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Bob

Howdy,

I was at the Hodgdon Powder Company this afternoon picking up some powder they sold my Posse for prizes at the Buffalo Shoot in Cottonwood Falls, KS this weekend.  I asked what their plan were for GOEX.  I was told that they were going to be making GOEX powder and plan for it to be an improved product.  Did not ask for a time table.  Thought that many of you would be interested.

Hodgdon made us a good price and are great to work with.  They also provided brochures with loading data for the shooters.

Y'all know all that I do now.  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Dr. Bob on April 21, 2009, 12:17:47 AM

"and plan for it to be an improved product. "

That concerns me.

Bruce

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Seth Hawkins on May 26, 2009, 12:07:46 PM
Why?

Have you found anything, latley, that they have acctually made better? I

shoot Goex Cartridge in my .45 Colt loads and my 45/70 loads and would just as soon NOT see them try to turn it into a "Triple 7" type of powder. Now, do I know that they will do that?

No.

But, based on the way everything else has been going............. I expect that they will screw it up.

Bruce

Grogan

Well...if they made it more like Swiss, then it WOULD be an "Improved Product". ;D
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Grogan on May 26, 2009, 12:43:45 PM
Well...if they made it more like Swiss, then it WOULD be an "Improved Product". ;D

Yea, I'm betting against that!

Bruce

Ranch 13

Quote from: Grogan on May 26, 2009, 12:43:45 PM

If they made it more like Swiss it'ld be an overpriced can full of crap that leaves some nasty hard red fouling in the barrel.
Hope they do in fact leave everything alone, and never mind the "improvement" stuff.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Grogan

Quote from: Ranch 13 on May 26, 2009, 03:57:02 PM
If they made it more like Swiss it'ld be an overpriced can full of crap that leaves some nasty hard red fouling in the barrel.
Hope they do in fact leave everything alone, and never mind the "improvement" stuff.

I'm thinking (hoping!) that you're being way too skeptical here.

The chemistry of making good Blackpowder is pretty well understood (in some ways better today than when GOEX bought out du Pont's BP facilities).

It's NOT Rocket Science, but it is technical.  Lots of it has to do with the charring process of the charcoal as well as the types of wood that are used.

Hodgdon's a good and successful company.  Hopefully any improvements will be the real deal. ;)
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Ranch 13

Quote from: Grogan on May 26, 2009, 06:44:04 PM
I'm thinking (hoping!) that you're being way too skeptical here.
quote]

Nope . I know this isn't proper internet protocol..... ::)But I based my opinion on real experience. Swiss has  not shown anything in my guns to make me think its anywhere near worth the price they're getting for it. Leaves a nasty red dirt colored fouling, that's about the consistancy of gumbo. Didn't gain anything in accuracy, and at the velocity's we shoot the bpcr's at a few piddly feet per second don't amount to much.
Goex Express will do anything and everything that Swiss will do only better at a considerable cost savings.
Schuetzen/Grafs is a pretty decent powder, and actually out preformed Swiss when I put all 4 to test.

While I agree that Hogdon is a well known company (I've been shooting their powders for over 40 years) I do hope that they don't screw around with Goex and turn it into something that those of us that shoot cases of it a year don't care for.

Blackpowder Burn

FWIW, I see the Hodgdon acquisition of Goex as a very good thing.  With Goex as a standalone company producing a limited product line, I was always concerned about their long-term survival.  Now they are part of a large, old, and very successful company that is dedicated to firearms propellant production.  This gives them a lot of resources (financial, legal, marketing, etc.) they didn't have before.

The important thing is that they weren't acquired by some "holding" company that knows (and cares) nothing about our sport.  They were acquired by a company that is dedicated solely to supporting the shooting sports.  That makes a huge difference.

Quit complaining about fictional problems and give the folks there time to show what they can do.  If they don't do a good job, then hammer them.  My bet is that they will actually improve the quality and performance of Goex.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Dirty Brass

I concur - couldn't agree more - what's that word the kids use???? "chill people - chill"

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Aggie Desperado on May 27, 2009, 07:25:48 AM
  My bet is that they will actually improve the quality and performance of Goex.
I'll take that bet!

What makes everyone thing that an a company the makes smokeless powder and substitutes is going to improve the Black Powder from a former competitor?  If anything, it would be in there best interest to try to convert the Goex customer base to their substitutes. 

And, why is it people keep saying to chill out and wait and see? Isn't this a forum to talk about things? Is there some history where complacency turned out to be a good thing?

Maybe, just maybe, if we express our concerns now, we won't be talking about how we used to shoot Goex..........

Bruce

Ranch 13

I'm wondering if Hogdons will continue to fully test the Goex powder or if they'll grab a couple of handfuls, and treat it like smokeless, if it falls into velocity and pressure , package it up and send it out. If they don't fully test the stuff for fouling issues, accuracy etc, then a bad batch will probably sink the whole deal. Because as we so often see there's plenty of folks fully capable of condemning Goex as an inferior powder, most of whom I have doubts have ever fired any, just repeating what they've read some place.
I'm also curious as to whether or not, they continue the reclassification of sporting grade black powder that Goex started.?,So that it can be sold right along side of smokeless , and pyrodex?
Time will tell what takes place I suppose.

Dirty Brass

OMG Chill is a phrase - all it means is relax a little with "see - the world is going to end now" posts. I haven't seen any indication that Goex is going smokeless. When I do I guess I'll join in the panic posts, but for now all I see is "I'll bet their gonna and I know it's the end of this and end of that - the sky is falling, etc.etc.etc". Real concern would warrant contacting them and asking for answers - not speculating and spreading fears.

Has Hodgen demonstrated in the past that they will eliminate anything regarding BP? I'm not being sarcastic - I'm asking. I thought they always supported cowboy action and BP shooting just by producing other substitutes for the sport. Maybe I'm wrong.  But go ahead - nobody said you had to chill out - talk all you want about stuff you have, as far as I can deduce, no first hand knowledge about - I'm content to wait and see what happens.

You have a stroke - I'll have a sandwich and a cup of coffee  ;) No disrespect intended sir. I enjoy watching things like this unfold......

Delmonico

Just a small warning here, be sure to keep this thread civil, I can see this thread going south real soon.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Ranch 13

Dirty Brass, this isn't Hogdon's first venture into bp. Many many years ago , they brought in Curtis &Harvey, and later Meteor, (produced in the C&H plant) repackaged it in their own containers. Then they developed pyrodex and quit the bp market.

I'm fully willing to see what they do, it's only been a few months since the take over so lets see what they do. Hopefully they're sharp enough to know the investment they just made can go south on them in a heartbeat if they don't keep the high quality they started with.

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Dirty Brass on May 27, 2009, 09:23:15 AM
OMG Chill is a phrase - all it means is relax a little with "see - the world is going to end now" posts. I haven't seen any indication that Goex is going smokeless. When I do I guess I'll join in the panic posts, but for now all I see is "I'll bet their gonna and I know it's the end of this and end of that - the sky is falling, etc.etc.etc". Real concern would warrant contacting them and asking for answers - not speculating and spreading fears.

Has Hodgen demonstrated in the past that they will eliminate anything regarding BP? I'm not being sarcastic - I'm asking. I thought they always supported cowboy action and BP shooting just by producing other substitutes for the sport. Maybe I'm wrong.  But go ahead - nobody said you had to chill out - talk all you want about stuff you have, as far as I can deduce, no first hand knowledge about - I'm content to wait and see what happens.

You have a stroke - I'll have a sandwich and a cup of coffee  ;) No disrespect intended sir. I enjoy watching things like this unfold......

I don't hear anyone saying the "sky is falling" or that the world is coming to an end.......

But, 8 months ago, I started a thread about how no one seems to be stocking cap and ball pistols. I asked what was going on and everyone said to chill out.
Then, no one seemed to have caps. OK, I chilled. Then, no one had primers...........I chil.....er...."cooled". Then, powder......then bullets.....

You see where this is going?

Now, Goex is being acquired by Hodgson. Anyone, other then me, having trouble getting H4831?  Varget?

I am concerned about it: Yes. Will I lose sleep over it? Uh....no.  I have bigger things to lose sleep over. But, I keep hearing the shoes falling and I keep hearing the lemming......er, "sportsmen" say "chill out", it will be fine....wait and see.

Just like Obama keeps telling us that everything is going to be fine, wait and see.

Bruce

Dirty Brass

Quit complaining about fictional problems and give the folks there time to show what they can do.  If they don't do a good job, then hammer them.  My bet is that they will actually improve the quality and performance of Goex.

I didn't mean to stir a hornets nest. My comment(s) mearly referred to how I agreed with the above post. If my following post  to that sounded offensive if was not meant to - I'm pretty much a humorous kind of guy. I've been around long enough to have seen many many posts on possible / this might happen catastrophes.  I understand everyones concerns - I just don't see a reason to condemn someone publically, before having a reason too. I guess I'm more of an optomist - half full/half empty glass??

Ranch 13 - thanks for that info - I am not versed on Hodgon's history - that enlightens me a little.  ;)

Delmonico - I agree - no need for uncivil comments or attitudes. Again, if I came off that way I apologize.....

Fiddler Green - I agree powder is hard to get - along with many other manufactures besides Hodgon. Primers, bullets, certain caliber specific ammunition, it's an industry problem not just associated with cap & ball accessories or BP componants. I do see your reason for concern - but then I never suggested not to be concerned. I share the concern.

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age......but I like to give the benefit of the doubt to everyone. One of my character flaw I guess.

Delmonico

This thread is now locked since it provides no useful information, I will leave it up out of respect to the OP.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com