TTN Coach Gun

Started by Dirty Brass, April 09, 2009, 09:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Fiddler Green on May 23, 2009, 09:30:31 AM
I got my TTN at Big 5. About $150 cheaper then the "Gun shops".

It's a good starter shootgun for CAS, but, you're going to get beat by the guys with the pumps.

Not necessarily, my good man, not necessarily.  It all depends on how many shotgun targets there are per stage.  With two targets, the SxS wins easily.  With four, its about a dead heat.  With six  the pumps have a slight -- repeat, slight -- advantage.  With eight or more, the pumps take it hands-down.

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on May 23, 2009, 06:54:26 PM
Not necessarily, my good man, not necessarily.  It all depends on how many shotgun targets there are per stage.  With two targets, the SxS wins easily.  With four, its about a dead heat.  With six  the pumps have a slight -- repeat, slight -- advantage.  With eight or more, the pumps take it hands-down.

My last match: the forth stage had 12 shootgun targets! the one before:8. I've nerver shot a stage with less than 4 and most are 6. Besides, there are two types of SxS: one with exposed hammers and one without. The exposed hammers are almost a second slower. Fortunatly, I'm slow enough it dosen't matter, anyway!

Bruce

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Fiddler Green on May 27, 2009, 10:10:28 AM
... The exposed hammers are almost a second slower...

It depends on when in the reloading process you cock the hammers.  If you do it at the end, as a separate step, I agree.  However, if you do it sort of like the way I do i (cocking the left hammer while shucking out the empties, cocking the right hammer while reaching for the next pair of shells), a mule-eared SxS can be just about as fast as a hammerless.

In my decidedly unscientific survey I've learned that, with SxS's, more time is lost fumbling with the next pair of shells than in cocking the hammers.

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on May 27, 2009, 10:43:50 AM
It depends on when in the reloading process you cock the hammers.  If you do it at the end, as a separate step, I agree.  However, if you do it sort of like the way I do i (cocking the left hammer while shucking out the empties, cocking the right hammer while reaching for the next pair of shells), a mule-eared SxS can be just about as fast as a hammerless.

In my decidedly unscientific survey I've learned that, with SxS's, more time is lost fumbling with the next pair of shells than in cocking the hammers.

I cock mine when I'm done loading. While I agree that more time is lost fumbling with shells, time is still lost cocking the hammers and that's a little bit of life you'll never get back. Or, at least a little bit of the stage time you'll never get back. I'll overlook the time lost to re-aquire the target: the pump guys don't have to do that.

All that said.....I'll still shoot my hammered couach gun at the next match, I'll still shoot cases full of black powder and I'll still have more fun then the people shooting mouse farts. I just won't be as fast.

Bruce

Noz

Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on May 27, 2009, 10:43:50 AM
However, if you do it sort of like the way I do i (cocking the left hammer while shucking out the empties, cocking the right hammer while reaching for the next pair of shells), a mule-eared SxS can be just about as fast as a hammerless.

But, but, but you're doing something different with each hand at the same time?  Way beyond me. ;D

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Fiddler Green on May 27, 2009, 12:42:39 PM
,... time is still lost cocking the hammers and that's a little bit of life you'll never get back.

Again, it depends on when you do it.

Col. Cornelius Gilliam

Howdy,

As mentioned above, you can run a double hammer gun as fast as a hammerless by cocking the hammers with your right hand as the shotgun is dropping and your left hand is going for the shells.  And I do agree, 6-rounds is the breaking point for doubles vs 97's.  You can still run a double pretty fast though.

The link below is of me shooting a TRUE GRIT stage this last weekend.  True Grit is a specialty match the Umpqua Regulators put on in Roseburg Oregon.  Each stage is double length:  (4)-pistols, (2)-riifles, and (1)-shotgun with 10 rounds min. 

I shoot black powder in a TTN 1887 12 ga hammer gun.  The shotgun round count on this stage was 12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmSdkjxpQ1w&feature=channel_page

Quote from: Fiddler Green on May 27, 2009, 12:42:39 PM
I cock mine when I'm done loading. While I agree that more time is lost fumbling with shells, time is still lost cocking the hammers and that's a little bit of life you'll never get back.
Bruce

Mason Stillwell

Watch Tbone Dooley run a hammered double MERCY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Fiddler Green

Quote from: Noz on May 27, 2009, 03:09:37 PM
But, but, but you're doing something different with each hand at the same time?  Way beyond me. ;D

Yea, throw in a stick of gum and I'm taking a major saftey violation!

Bruce

Fairshake

I shoot the 1887 by Coyote Cap and love it. A friend that shoots BP with me shoots the hammer TTN SXS and he cocks before he loads and he is very fast using this method which is legal. Fiddler, I have shot stages with just two shotgun and plenty with 4 and even some with 10. If your not having fun change guns. I don't shoot full cases of 2F in 45 Colt and worry about where I finish. The one problem that I found with the lever 87 is that if you use the brass hulls the weight will defeat the load two system and make it real slow to load. With the paper hulls that I cut down it runs great. Hey Mason How you doing with your 87?
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Mason Stillwell

Fairshake
I do ok with the 87 as far as time goes. I do us AA hulls and I can load 2.I am not fast with it but I love shooting it and I have FUN. That is what this is about right ? ;D ;D The 87 is light and dont kill me to handle it on the stage.

I am WAY slow with my Mule Ear but boy howdy is it fun also.

To date I have had 0 problems with my 87. It should out last me.

Good post going here !

Later Mason :)
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Adirondack Jack

It never ceases to amazee me that folks THINK they can't do two things at once.  Yet many play guitar,  drive stick shift cars, and even ride motorcycles (two hands and at least one foot doing several things at once).  Practice, and yes, you too can cycle a hammergun as fast as a hammerless.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Mason Stillwell

Good Point Adirondack Jack.

When I was first getting into cowboy action shooting I had a pard say something to me that almost made me mad at first.
After I finished a stage this person(who is a great person now that I know him)Came to me and said

You have Two hands why not use them.( as in reholstering pistol and picking up rifle.)

After I stopped and thought about it, WOW did it ever save me time on a stage.

So I guess I am doing two things at one time.

Thanks

Mason ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

IrishDragoon

I was told that TTN as going to make its Colt 1878 exposed hammers double gun with 26" and 28" barrels as well as 20" coach barrels. I'd like to grab one with the longer barrels. Has anyone seen or heard anything on this?

Dr. Bob

I think that Cimarron recently received some of the long barrel guns.  You might want to give them a shout.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Steel Horse Bailey

I don't have a TTN; I have an old Tula - which has a few differences from the newer ones.  I'd LOVE to have an extra set of barrels at 26" or so that had screw-in chokes.  My Tula Coachgun actually is choked: R bbl is Modified, L is Improved ... IF I remember kee-rektly!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

fourfingersofdeath

Is this the Chinese made shotgun? I bought an IAC branded hammer shotgun which I was told was a copy of the Colt shotgun of old. It is a nice little gun, drops open so easily and the hammers are easy to use with the thumb whilst otherwise occupied (stuffing shells inta da barrels!). The only downside is that the right hand hull sticks with the factory stuff I have sheetloads of rounds for. I will try the Magtec brass cases as soon as the dust settles. I am keen to get this little thug into action as I am currently using my nice upland gun.

I forgot, it has a walnut stock which will come up nice if I ever get around to doing anything with it (Not likely).
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

J.D. Yellowhammer

Quote from: fourfingersofdeath on September 08, 2009, 09:52:20 PM
The only downside is that the right hand hull sticks with the factory stuff I have sheetloads of rounds for.

This might be a simple fix for ya: take some Semichrome polish and put it on a bore cleaning mop, put it on the end of a drill and gently buff the chamber.  Not only does it make the metal super smooth and slick, it has gentle abrasive (like rouge) so it takes out tiny imperfections and probably opens it .00001.  I did this to my double and the shells fly out.
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: J.D. Yellowhammer on September 10, 2009, 06:38:11 AM
This might be a simple fix for ya: take some Semichrome polish and put it on a bore cleaning mop, put it on the end of a drill and gently buff the chamber.  Not only does it make the metal super smooth and slick, it has gentle abrasive (like rouge) so it takes out tiny imperfections and probably opens it .00001.  I did this to my double and the shells fly out.

You can accomplish the same thing with Colgate toothpaste.  I know, 'cause I did it on both my 20 gauge and my 12 gauge doubles, and it WORKED!

WaddWatsonEllis

I had to smile about the Model 87 and using two hand comments.

I have an old Baikal 26" hammerless/single trigger that I am pretty good at.

But I just can't seem to get fast on the Model 87 that I have ....

Almost all our shotgun stages have 'pop ups' where the original shot triggers a clay pidgeon that flies up vertically to be shot.

So far, I haven't been able to get the lever cocked and a new round loaded, and get the clay in the sight in time.

My best attempts usually feature getting the clay in the sights just in time to watch it disintegrate on the ground.

I know it is me, and that with a little practice I can cycle the '87 in plenty of time to hit that clay ... but it is SO frustrating to watch that clay hit the ground ...

In one sense, I can't wait to get the Baikal back from the gunsmith and stop having the longest times of the everyone in the whole darn shoot!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com