TTN Coach Gun

Started by Dirty Brass, April 09, 2009, 09:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Brass

I'm considering getting one of these, and have read nothing but good reports on them. I even saw a thread on having them choked for hunting turkeys. Do these have ejectors or just extractors on them, and can the safely handle the 3" magnums if desired? I'd probably go with BP loads most of the time, but occassionaly I would rotate. I'd like to hear from anyone with any problems they've experienced with this gun......

Thanks......

Daniel Nighteyes

Extractors, not ejectors.  Mine is marked as "12 gauge 3-inch" so, while I haven't actually tried 'em, I suspect they'll handle 'em just fine.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I wouldn't want to hold my breath waiting on some one to complain about the TTN SXS, there just isn't anything to complain about. IMHO

tEN wOLVES  :D :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Isom

Just one thing. On top of the hammers where you thumb them back, there's a sharp lip, you'll need to file it down with a small jewelers file, and a little oxfo-blue and you're good to go. They'll handle 3' mags. "I know".
Isom Dart
SASS #8096

Noz

I have a Remington Spartan that works just fine but I'm trying to come up with a good excuse to buy the TTN. I really like them.

Dirty Brass

Sounds like ya' can't go wrong with one of these. I'm in the process of getting one - Cimarron has a 2 month backorder on them - I just called  :(

Doc O

I love mine. In fact I just got it choked so I can use it for turkeys.
If you get one and you want to choke it, make sure you get the gun with the thick barrel walls, they will take the Mossberg chokes.
A freind got one of the thin walled models, he was a bit dissapointed.
Doc

Cuts Crooked

If you get one with thin barrel wals you can have the true choke system installed. They have a set up specifically for thin barreled guns. And Hastings makes turkey tubes fer em too!  ;)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Doc O

Quote from: Cuts Crooked on April 09, 2009, 06:57:49 PM
If you get one with thin barrel wals you can have the true choke system installed. They have a set up specifically for thin barreled guns. And Hastings makes turkey tubes fer em too!  ;)
Thanks for the info. I'll let my buddy now, that should make him happy.
Doc

Major 2

Quote from: Dirty Brass on April 09, 2009, 02:49:11 PM
Sounds like ya' can't go wrong with one of these. I'm in the process of getting one - Cimarron has a 2 month backorder on them - I just called  :(

If Cimarron is out ( they bought out Walt Johnson @ TTn) you could try Taylor's or EMF they did handle them before the Cimarron Monopoly. Taylor still has them on the website.
I bought mine from Walt in late 05, I could not be happier less I had one of the Short run of CH finished guns he offered a year or so after I bought mine.

Chaparral in their short Association with Charter Arms, showed a Copy of the TTn (Colt Pttern) at the 2007 Shot Show in Orlando.
But it was a still birth last I heard.
when planets align...do the deal !

Blackpowder Burn

You might try 3B Shooting Supplies in Kaufman, TX.  It's run by Bryan Buck, and he ususally keeps some in stock and has very reasonable prices.  I bought mine from him and he's a good pard to do business with.  You can contact Bryan at:

ThreeB.Shooting@ATT.NET or 214-801-4476
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Dirty Brass

Thanks Aggie - I managed a deal with another vendor early this morning, so I should have the 1878 next week. Also picked up a Winchester (original) 1897 [in need of new wood], but not a bad price, so I'll be busy cutting that down and restocking it. Looks like I'll be manufacturing some new targets for shotgun now too!  ;D

Gotta love this sport!

Blackpowder Burn

That's the same shotgun battery I have.  You'll like them both.  I like the '97 better than my much more modern pump.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Capt. Willard

I just picked my 1878 up two days ago....very nice and looks great next to my ttn winchester lever shotgun! The only two scatter guns I think I will ever need.  ;D
Perhaps the russian kalashnicov shotgun but that is for another board. ;)

Dirty Brass

Yeh - showing up with a Saiga 12 ga. clip-fed semi auto wouldn't really fit in  ;)

Grapeshot

Quote from: Dirty Brass on April 09, 2009, 09:21:02 AM
I'm considering getting one of these, and have read nothing but good reports on them. I even saw a thread on having them choked for hunting turkeys. Do these have ejectors or just extractors on them, and can the safely handle the 3" magnums if desired? I'd probably go with BP loads most of the time, but occassionaly I would rotate. I'd like to hear from anyone with any problems they've experienced with this gun......

Thanks......

I have one of those TTN 1878 Colt Coach Guns and love it.  This is the third Hammered Double I've owned.  I started off with a Rossi 12 Gage "Overland" with a beaver tail forearm that I shot the daylights out of until one of the firing pin nipples broke. I bought on of the Ruskie SxS out side cockers until I could find a replacement nipple.  That gun was OK, but when I spotted the TTN at the "Shootout at Leadville" a few years ago, I bought it on the spot.  Sold the Ruskie and haven't looked back.

It's now my favorite Black Powder Shotgun and I haven't had any problems with it at all.  It shucks metalic hulls on the spot but plastic, high brass hulls tend to stick in the chambers.  I might have to have the chambers polished, but I shoot for fun, not speed.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Mason Stillwell

If I can chime in. I have one of those new 87 lever shotguns. WOW I sure like that thing. Also one of the TTN mule ear doubles.
It is going to the AZ State BP championship up in Payson next week with me.
Only other shotgun going is the Mighty Ten for the Night Shoot. Can we say 110 gr of 2FG !!!!!!!!!!!!

MERCY !!!

Gonna be fun. LOVE that hammer double.

Mason ;D
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Grapeshot on May 10, 2009, 02:33:07 PM
It shucks metalic hulls on the spot but plastic, high brass hulls tend to stick in the chambers.  I might have to have the chambers polished, but I shoot for fun, not speed.

Sounds like you don't need much polishing so, if you want to, you can probably can do it yourself.  Here's one way:  Get a 12-gauge bore mop, chuck it into a drill, and apply toothpaste to the bore mop (I use Colgate).  You can figure out the rest.

I do this to my shotgun chambers about twice a year.  They shuck hulls slicker than cat... well, you get the idea.

Dr. Bob

My ole daddy used to say "slicker than snot on a glass door knob" which I have always remembered! ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Fiddler Green

I got my TTN at Big 5. About $150 cheaper then the "Gun shops".

It's a good starter shootgun for CAS, but, you're going to get beat by the guys with the pumps.

I've looked at my splits (well, asked the RO to tell me what they were. I'm in the top third of shooters when it comes to pistols and rifle, but, I fall to the bottom third after the shotgun.  Still, it's fun to cock those hammers and blast away!

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com