1858 Uberti New Army Conversion Loading Lever

Started by Benedikt, April 06, 2009, 12:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benedikt

I just received my Uberti New Army Conversion in the .45 Colt and I love it.  Most accurate of all my handguns but I guess an 8 inch barrel will do that.  I have just one small problem probably discussed in the forum before but I got tired of searching.

When firing, about one in every ten shots, the loading lever will come loose from the latch.  It's as if the spring on the loading lever is not strong enough to keep it there during recoil.  Any suggestions?  Is this common?

Major 2

Based on my gun, I'd say no not common..over 500 rounds and no problem....
Is it from Taylor's, I'd send it to them ( explain your issue ) as you have here....

if it's from Cimarron < I'd still send it the Taylor's...for a more Harmonious and Expedited return.

Sorry Cimarron, you've got something to work on in the Customer Service Dept.
when planets align...do the deal !

Marshal Will Wingam

I've sent a lot of rounds downrange in them over the years. Never a problem. I know several other pards that shoot them, again without any loading lever issues. It sounds like it needs to be replaced or at least factory serviced.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

If you're talking about R&D conversion cylinders for your 1858 Remmie, it ain't the 8" barrel that makes it accurate, it is the precision of the cylinder. My Remmies, two of them, with their R&D conversion cylinders are the most accurate revolvers I own. More accurate than my Vaqueros, Colts, and Clones with their 7 1/2" barrels. It ain't the extra 1/2" of barrel, it is the cylinders. They have tighter chambers than any of my other 45s.

Can't say as I've ever had a problem with the loading lever dropping with my Remmies, and I've fired some pretty stout loads through them. Take a look at the latch and the overhanging cut it fits into in under the barrel. Could be they ain't mating up all the way and may need a little bit of fitting. Or maybe a stronger spring.

By the way, this was a problem with the Walker Colt too. They did not have a latch under the barrel, they had a camming mechanism near the hinge pin. The loading lever used to drop regularly with the Walker Colts. Colt changed the arrangement with Dragoon series, putting a latch up front on the lever, and it continued like that through all his models, as well as the Remmie too.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Benedikt

Thank you all.  Sounds like I may need to take it somewhere. 

Major 2 - What a Cimarron/Taylor's?  I purchased mine from a local gun shop that ordered it from Uberti.

Driftwood Johnson - Do you know anything about getting to that spring?  It looks like it's mating up alright.

Major 2

Taylor & Cimarron are the Major importers for Uberti aside from Stoeger ( Beretta Uberti Benelli merger ) 
Both have Smiths * but if your gun is new ...Uberti USA will adjust it under warranty. (* Taylor's is faster)
Your Barrel should have Stoeger stamped if it came from Uberti USA (and Taylor Winchester VA. or Cimarron Fredricksburg TX if from them )

Mine was one of the first guns Taylor's had, it was sent to Tuolumne Lawman for his Gun test article...He like so well he bought it.
later he wanted something I had and traded it to me...
At 10 yards I can put five 250 grain Black Hill's 45's inside 1 1/2" if I do my part.  :-\ course that's slow & deliberate...paper punching....
It's not as natural a pointer as my 44 Richards...which is also tight grouped...but it's keeper.
when planets align...do the deal !

Benedikt

Yes mine has Stoeger stamped on it.  I called them the other day.  I'm going to send it in and have it repaired under warranty.  I waited 4 weeks after I ordered it.  I guess I can wait a few more for a repair.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com