Multiple Calibers

Started by Doc Shapiro, March 05, 2005, 05:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you typically shoot multiple calibers at monthly matches?

Yes
No
Sometimes

Drifter

My 66 Yellow Boy is .45 colt as well as most of my 6-shooters.

However,  ;), I always enjoy and employ my .44 colt open top!  So far I haven't missed loaded anything.  And .44 colt is the closest to the real cartridge used in the Open Top.
Marshal Dave D. Drifter
SASS 14577 Life
BOLD 44
Virginia City Marshals

Prof. Bullspit

I shoot one caliber (.45) and one load in rifle and pistols.

Irish Red O'Toole

It's hard enough to remember stage instructions, let alone remembering what caliber goes in what gun.  I make sure I have only one kind of ammo.  Easier on the higher brain functions that way.

Wes Virginian

Usually .44's Rugers with .45(AWA Lightening) but not often.
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Paper Chaser

My '66 is 45 Colt; pistols .357(Great Western IIs); backup rifle 357(Rossi '92)
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

+draw

.44 Ball in the pistols,
and either .45 Colt with a '66 or .357 with a Marlin '94 for da rifle.

+Draw

Steel Horse Bailey

I shoot 45 Colt.  Mostly Black Powder, but when I run low of powder, I shoot smokey-less.  This is for both NCOWS and SASS.  Once in a while, our NCOWS club throws in one or two stages needing a pocket pistol;  then I shoot an old Iver Johnson top break in 38 S&W.  Also, either 12 ga. or 20 ga.  Whatever I'm in the mood for.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Grapeshot

Depends, Some matches I shoot .45 Colt out of Rifle and .45 S&W Schofields out of revolver.  Other matches I shoot .44/40 out of Rifles and .44 Colt or .44 Russian out of revolvers.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Terry Lane

Howdy all,
all my long guns are .44 WCF. My short guns are .38 colt, .44 colt, .45 Colt, .45 S&W. What I take depends on what I feel like when I wake up the morning of a shoot. Take care.

Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory
Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory,
Nebraska's Official Hon. Col. Wm. F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Chief of Scouts

Big John Denny

All eight of my Rugers and my CAS rifles are all 45 Colt.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Coop Trawlaine

Well, since I am still in the tenderfoot stage, "I goes with what I can gets."  I am now on match #7

So that means that I am shooting .45 Colt in my converted '58 Remys and .38 spl in my Marlin .357/38 long gun and of course 12 ga. in my S X S with horns.

My goal is to eventually put aside enough double eagles to get me a long gun in .45 Colt.  That will have to be a ways down the trail as "Uncle" only give me my allowance once a month and them danged pieces of paper with the President's Picture jest don't want to stretch like the ones made of rubber.
??? >:(
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Kaboom Andy

Usually I shoot .45 Colt in both rifle and pistols but I'm switching to .45 S&W for my Rugers coz it's easy to download it.
Duelist it's a way of life..........
-----------------------------------------
AZ Gunleather
-----------------------------------------
Kaboom Andy
SASS# 63050
HTR#2

Birdgun Quail

.45 Colt in revolvers and rifle.
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

Pappy Hayes

I used to shoot 44 Colt and 45. I since have replaced my 45 with RM 1860 Army conversion to match up with my Open Top and finally purchased my lever action, 66 Yellowboy in 44-40. I went with the 44-40 because I want to shoot bp sometimes and the tappered shell prevents blow by better. Also everything I read about the 44Special shooting the 44Colt in it, there were problems.

Smokin Gator

I usually shoot 44-40 Marlin rifle and 44 special revolvers.  Sometimes I will use 1 44 special and one 45 Rodeo.  I keep the 44-40 in red boxes only.  Haven't had a problem although it would be very simple to have one caliber.  later,   Smokin Gator

Marshal Will Wingam

I shoot .38 spl in everything as a general rule. I bring a pair of 45's in case I need more oomph to knock down targets. At our club, they just set up knock-down targets without any thought to how level they are. Some go down if an oak leafe brushed against them and others won't go down with anything less than a full-boat .45. Today there was one stage with 24 knockdown targets so I shot my .45's on that stage.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Driftwood Johnson

The first Single Action Revolver I ever owned was a Black Hawk in 45 Colt that I bought back around 1975. Never saw any reason to change calibers.

The first Lever Gun in a 'pistol caliber' that I ever owned was a 100 year old Marlin 1894 in 44-40. Again, never saw any reason to change calibers. I wouldn't own a rifle chambered in 45 Colt.

The only difference is, now I stuff them full of Black Powder.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Coop Trawlaine

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on November 27, 2005, 02:29:03 PM

I wouldn't own a rifle chambered in 45 Colt.

Driftwood,  

I am still a novice at cowboy shooting, I am sure you have a good reason for the above statement.   Is there some particular problem?   Or just a preference.   Always looking to learn something new.

Coop
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Foothills Drifter

Howdy......
.45 colt all the way................

Good shootin......
Vern...  8)

Wireman

Right now I'm shooting 45 LC in all guns.  I've only been shooting a couple of years so, I got 45's so I can shoot in the most catagories. One day I'll switch to 44-40 for the attempt to train the Dragon (shoot blackpowder). I may swich down to 38's to shoot Dualist or Gunfighter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com