A Great Day

Started by cowboywc, April 02, 2009, 12:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboywc

Howdy all
Sunday was a great day. There was a private party for master leather artist Al Shelton. He finished the leather covered guitar for Martin Guitar Co. I will post pix of it after the guitar has arrived at the museum.
For as many times as I've been to Al's shop I've never taken pix of all the things there. Well since everyone else was I did too. There are far to many to post here but when I get the on my photobucket I'll post a link.
Here are just a couple of the best.
The book Al is holding he made back in '89. I bought it a couple years ago from a guy who found it in a storage locker.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

santee

That's pretty cool, WC!!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

HorsePen Henry

He looks ta be a fine old gentleman. I wish I could have been there to meet him.
Beatiful book in the first picture.
Thanks for sharing WC.
Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

JD Alan

Sounds like it was a great Sunday for sure. That book is amazing, what a great find for you. From looking at the pictures on the computer, it's hard to believe that "The guns that tamed the west" is leather, not an oil painting on canvas. I'd love to get a close look at his work. What an inspiration.

I'm looking forward to seeing more. Thanks WC, JD

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy WC,

It looks like you had a great day Sunday, Al really did some fine work, is he still doing his craft? your lucky to have some of his work, I look forward to seeing the other pictures you post, thanks for letting us take a look see. ::) 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

cowboywc

Howdy
Al is 89 and this guitar cover and strap will be his last leather carvings. It took him 5 years to make the cover due to health problems.
He carved the strap in 3 days, it is not his best work. But then again his worst work is better then my best.
WC

Ace Lungger

WC,
I thank you for sharing this  with us! What a artist this has been :o :o And for you to be good friends of his, has got to mean a lot to you! The more i do, the more i love it, maybe because i have had to slow my life down so much that , i find great peace of mind when I am working with leather! And since i have started carving, I find it even more relaxing, my wife wasn't wanting me to do this because of the way I am, she was afraid it would just stress me out more, but it has done the exact diff. I find it very peacefull. I have years and years of learning, but I also think that is why it is peacefull! You take a peice of leather and turn it into something to be pround of!
thanks ofr sharning.
Later ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

At his age that is pretty impressive, for him to still have that kind of control with his hands, and when you say his work is better than your best, That's really saying something, WC you've known and been with some very impressive Artist and craftsman, and I think your work shows the results of this not to mention your your own skill, thanks for sharing this with all of us. :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

cowboywc

Here are a couple more pieces.
WC

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy WC,

I see what you mean, he is awesome, how many years has he been at it, his work like yours flows, it has to take years of practice and doing, to get this good, and even then there is no guaranty that you could reach this level, it has to be a gift, and he and you sure have it, if you see him again soon tell him how much we all enjoyed seeing his work, you have to feel honored to be in the same room as some one like Al Shelton.

tEN wOLVES  :) ;)

Marshal Will Wingam

Wow, what an honor to be able to spend time with him. His work is outstanding. I particularly like that saddle. Thanks for the great pics and for sharing with us.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

cowboywc

Howdy
Al has been doing leather work about 60 years. He is a master artist in every way. He paints, he sculps in wax and clay and a pretty good cowboy singer.
If anyone has been to the Autry museum and seen the bronze of Gene & Champion, Al did the wax carvings of his gunbelt, saddle and bridle to look like carved leather. He also has done many belt buckles for Hollywood movies and TV shows.
I'm trying to get all the pix resized so I can post more and get them on photobucket.
Also the saddle I posted is a miniture.
Here's a couple more.
WC
PS
I'm trying to buy this buckle. He only has 2 left and one has to go with his whole collection that is being sold.

cowboywc

Howdy
Here is a link to some of the pix on my photobucket.
http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/cowboywc/
WC

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Awesome WC, Thanks for bringing his work to our attention, for us newbee's it's an honor to be able to see Al Sheltons work like this, you did a great job of picture taking. ::) 8) :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Ditto what TW said. Great pics. Thanks for the link. I hope you're able to get that buckle. That's a real collector's piece.

cowboywc

Howdy All
We were told not to post pix of this guitar til it reached the Martin Museum, but since it is now on the cover of Shop Talk News here are a couple.
WC

cowboy316

WC
that is spectacular very beautiful word cant describe it
Cowboy316

PS send needles LOL (just joking ill get some tomorrow )

Marshal Will Wingam

Wow, that's a spectacular guitar. Thanks for posting the photos, WC. I like the look a lot. I do wonder how it would sound with all that leather on the sound board.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very Nice WC THANKS for the look see

TW  ;) :D ;D

Gun Butcher

WC, the other guys have said but let me say it also, I can think of no greater honor than to have known the man and learned from him. He is truly a master.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com